What's new

How to make a air pump less noisy?

unoeye

I have a active aqua 110 lpm and it is overly loud anyone have any tips on making here a tad bit less noisy?

thanks IC
uno

C

cyberwax

tell it to be quiet...

Insulate it? build a box? use your imagination :)

unoeye

already thought of that just wondering if someone has a special trick thats a little less obvious. Thank you though.

uno

G

Greyskull

hang it
no noise
no boxes to build.
i hang all my airstones - its the only way hahaha

good luck

Hephaestus

Major issue with air pump noise (short of a blower - those are always loud) - is caused by restricted output; even those with adjustable outputs make considerably more noise when throttled back... Don't know your scenario - but make sure you've got the pump running full bore - if needed run a to a muffler type setup to bleed the excess.

The lower quality linear air pumps - same advice, but they tend to have a fair bit of vibration; they definitely benefit from rubber isolated mounting to a smallish plywood sheet (keep it about pump sized) - then use those 1" felt feet you find in the hardwood floor section (for putting on tables/chairs etc) between the plywood and your floor...

RewTheJew

after i nearly destroyed my giant air pump ( side note: its so important to keep your air pump above your water level, so when your breaker trips, all the water doesnt run right through the unit :rolleyes:) to silence the bastard, I filled a 5 gallon bucket with water, and put the lid on. VOILA the noise was dampened considerably. It fixed two problems, the height of the pump, and the noise.

zzozxzozz

i had the same problem i could hear my pump through my cabinet even when it was closed which totally made it obvious something was in it. i built a little box lined it with styrofoam, put a couple little vent holes for fresh air and screwed it shut. i can put my ear on the dam thing and you cant even tell its on

I don't know, perhaps if you mounted it on a spring? or if its square or rectangular have a spring attached to each corner? I'm sure it would dampen the vibration, should help with the noise I guess. I agree with greyskull about the hanging of the pump as I've done that and know it works, elastic material works well with that technique. Thanks for the info BTW Hephaestus, I wasn't aware that build up/restriction of output was responsible for noise problems but it makes perfect sense. Running DWC, it can't hurt to have more air running in your buckets so allowing the pump to flow freely would have multiple benefits... thanks for that.

Latest posts

Latest posts