What's new

Mg deficiency

Sirpuffsalot

My plants are slowly dying. This is my first grow. It's been going on for 2 weeks or so. The leaves slowly turned pale green with a darker green veins. They are also dry and curling upward. I think it looks like a Mg deficiency. What do you guys think?? My last watering (48hrs. ago) I gave them 2 Tsp of MagiCal per gallon. (Deficiency Rate) 2.0% (N) 3.25% (Ca) 1.25% (Mg) .11% (Fe)

How long has this problem been going on? 1 – 2 weeks
What STRAIN are you growing? Strawberry Cough & Hashberry
What was the establishing technique? (Seed or clone?) Clone
What is the age of your plants? 8 Weeks
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 4 Weeks
How Tall are the plants? 6-16”
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Vegetative 18/6
What Technique are you using? Stadium
What size pots are you using? 1 per 2 gallon bag What substrate/medium are you using? 2cu.ft. Organic Miracle grow, 2cu.ft. ProMix 1cup Bone meal 1 Cup Blood meal ½ Cup Garden lime and 2 gallon scoops of perlite.
What Nutrient's are you using? None till 2 days ago I used some MagiCal
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? 2 tsp per gallon (Only I time)
How often are you feeding? Nothing till 2 days ago. (Magical)
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? ??
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? 6.4
What method of pH test was administered? Drops
How often are you watering? 6 -8 days or so
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? Nothing till 2 days ago. (Magical)
What size bulb are you using? 1000 Watt MH 18/6
What is the distance to the canopy? 30-36”
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity) 30-50%
What is the canopy temperature? 78
What is the Day/Night Temp? Day 77-79 Night 71-73
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? 120 cfm exhaust fan not running till 2 days ago set to run every 4 hours for 5 mins. Room size 400 CU.FT.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Yes an oscillator 16” on MED speed
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? Moist, I wait till it dries out the first 2” before next watering
Is your water HARD or SOFT? Soft?
What water are you using? Tap With a PH of 7.5 I lower it to 6.2-6.8 before watering
Are you using water from a water softener? No
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? Pinched
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? Sevin 3 weeks ago
Are plant's infected with pest's? Yes some gnat problems (Not to crazy)

Attachments

• sick 1.jpg
    sick 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
  • sick 2.jpg
    sick 2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 6
  • sick 3.jpg
    sick 3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 7
  • sick 4.jpg
    sick 4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 7

Maijah

dude i would start over, they are seriously behind in development, they should be that big after a couple weeks of veg, i would use just promix and a castings/guano mix for a medium, and get em on a good diet and you should have way better results. Good luck man

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Be careful with the CaMag. I just ph burned the shit out of my girls. 1 tsp. per gallon has a ph of 6.8, 2 tsps. per gallon drops the ph to 6.2. I really fuc*ed up, shoulda started with 1/2 strength first.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That soil is plenty hot as it is, no nutes needed. Not sure what exactly your problem is, but nutrient deficiency of any kind is not likely. Much more likely to be some problem with roots not growing into the mix for some reason, most likely watering. Various problems I see include; 2g grobags WAY to big for 6" plants, maybe also too big for 16" ones. Big pots with little plants are hard to water accurately because you don't know where the roots are and whether they could grow more in search of water, or not. Another problem is fans trained directly on plants. That causes excess transpiration which is just another added stress, and you can't afford more unknown variables. Fans also dry out the surface of the soil, making it look like it needs water when (especially in a big bag/pot) it's really quite wet down below. It's possible that a repot into smaller containers with a fresh mix and less organic amendments (B&B, leave the lime) might turn things around. Otherwise, time to start again.

L

LolaGal

Just my 2 cents, but maybe cut out the bone meal and blood meal next time.

IMO, Bone meal will take so long to kick in, probably won't help in container planting of MJ.

The blood meal is probably not necessary with the MG organic, which already has ferts in it to last for 3 months. This addition may have made the mix too hot? consider this.

MagiCal won't hurt them, but damaged leaves will not show signs of recovery. New growth should be normal looking, if this is what they needed.

What is your runoff pH? Collect water from drainage saucer under plant after watering, test.

Incorrect soil pH may be a likely suspect in this situation, causing nutrient lockout.

good luck.

L

LolaGal

oh, I see runoff pH is perfect..... sorry.

pic sorta looks like light bleaching on leaves? hmmm.

Sirpuffsalot

Thanks for the help guys. I have 1 gallon pots and some Promix so I can repot. I want to keep them short. Should I complete them in 1 gallon pots? I'll try that & also move the fans off the plants so I'm just circulating the air in the room. Any recommendations if any on adding amendments to the ProMix? Or should I just stick to adding nutes instead of going mostly organic? Could the root be affected by the gnats?

Sirpuffsalot

Thanks LolaGal. I'll raise them to like 4' and see what happens in a few days. I'm also going to try the repot thing.. AND CROSS MY FINGERS -Thx

L

LolaGal

it's easier to grow with chemical ferts than it is to go organic.

If you are new, try learning how to grow the easy way first, then as you get more experience, try organic again.

rotate plants to avoid hot spots that can cause light bleaching.

good luck.

Maijah

Sirpuffsalot, in my opinion if you shouldn't finish anything in less than a 3 gallon pot ,as a general rule for every month the plant is alive it should have 1 gallon of space. 3 months= 3 gallon pot, hope that helps. And as far as adding stuff to your Promix, I add two 20 lb. bags of bat guano/earthworm castings to a large cube of Promix and that medium works great for me. Good luck man:smokeit:

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There's vegging, and then there's vegging. At the speed my plants grow during veg, there's no way I could keep them in a 1g pot for a month. I suppose if you weren't getting optimum growth, you could veg plants 3 months and still be in a 3g pot, but that won't work in my garden. I count on a doubling in size each week of veg. That means repotting about once a week, or week and a half. For those that haven't tried it yet, multiple repotting schedules make plants explode with growth at a faster rate than any other method I've seen, including all systems of hydro. The only cons are the work and the risk of shock, both of which can be practically eliminated with skill.

Latest posts

Latest posts