What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ghetto closet 400 watt hps

travese311

well i've been lurking on this board for a few months, picking up tidbits here and there about growing. i'm a noob but i feel i should contribute what i have. which isnt much!!! the community on here (for the most part) seem to be extremely helpful, and knowledgeable! So i started growing because i was basically just tired of paying for (bad quality) weed. anyways heres some pics, comment away if you like. the plants are 45 day old trainwreck from seed.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
awesome dude, welcome! i, too, have a ghetto 400watt hps flower setup :joint:

ArcticBlast

travese311

aha! think i figured it now. the colors look funny under the hps, ill post some more with better lighting soon. thanks for the comments all!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ddrew

Veteran
You have that closest vented right?
I'm looking at your gauge saying 57% humidity

travese311

ddrew: yes theres a vent above the reflector, fitted with redgreenery carbon filter exiting via the attic. It's extremely ghetto, but at the moment odor isnt a problem. Im planning on upgrades as soon the budget will allow :biggrin:

dont know what the deal with the humidity when i took that pic, its 29% at the moment....

picture.php

travese311

Changed the light cycle, countdown begins! seriously i can't wait until harvest....but here's a few pics day 3 of 12/12.

'brown' has the christmas tree thing goin on, short internodes, looks like a typical indica. and she smells alot better than 'bobbi'
picture.php

and 'bobbi' who happens to be twice as tall as her sister:
picture.php

fyi the nicknames are from that 3-6 mafia song, haha my gf came up with it and being the supportive guy like i am went with it. :biggrin:

Last edited:
G

Guest129216

Lookin good my man. Im in the process of building a 4oo watt grow room myself. Like u, I dont have a cooltube thogh. Is heat a problem? Im thinking about getting a cooltube

travese311

thanks corsican, technically its my 3rd. the first was....man i dont even know!! hemp?? ruderalis?? ill have to post some pics one day. The 2nd turned out pretty decent, but i fucked up and didnt flush all the way. NEvertheless it still was some good smoke. BUT....this grow im def not going to make the same mistakes again. so far so good!

Bom...its just a hood/reflector. no cool tube unfortunately. I was thinking about getting one of those maybe.....yeah ive had some heat issues in the past...i live in the fl and you know how the weather is. HOT. so i started in the fall to offset the high temps in the closet. theres ventilation above the hood and when the close the door, unless the fan going full blast its gets to mid 80's sometimes. alot of times i leave the door open so the it doesnt get too hot. I need a cool tube haha im tired of worrying about it. its ghetto!!!

travese311

well i uploaded a few pics just to illustrate as best as i can :)

heres a pic of the 2 girls a few weeks into flowering. so far so good

picture.php

and another a week or 2 later:

picture.php

and the more indica phentype:

picture.php

and the more sativa one:

picture.php

decent so far, right? wellllllllll the thing is, in order to get the cleanest smoking buds possible, the last 7 to 14 days before harvest you need to feed the plant the plants clean water, and or with no additives (save maybe molasses or something similar, for carbs) to eliminate the buildup of ferts in your buds( so they burn clean with only pure white ash let in your bowl). well those pics above are like a day or 2 before harvest. if you flush correctly, the leaves will turn really nice fall colors, orange and yellow, or sometimes purple or orange. so i fuct up! look at how green those leaves are haha! the bud wasnt bad at all, it was all organic but it didnt burn as clean as it could have and the taste could have been better. a mistake im not making again!

you live, you learn, you read icmag and get that shit going!!

haha i love these forums and alot of the members here are extremely helpful and seem to enjoy helping people out.

so to answer your ?. i should have flushed them 7 days prior or more. oh also youre supposed to harvest before the lights come on in the morning. apparently the roots store certain ferts in their roots that travel into the rest of plant when the lights turn on.

got all that???? :biggrin:

How did you determine one being more Indica-dominant and the other more Sativa-dominant? Are you making and educated guess? The reason I ask is because I noticed two particular phenotypes in a strain I was growing from seed. The one I would call the more Sativa-dominant phenotype (because the fan leaves have very slender blades) looked like what you called in your strain the Indica-dominant phenotype. Leaving the leaves (forgive the pun) aside, the bud shape of our phenotypes look like an Indica.

The other phenotype from my strain that I would consider more Indica-dominant (because the leaves are broader) has the "foxtail" characteristic. This whole thing confuses me because the leaves have always been mentioned as the prime indicator for whether a strain or its phenotypes was either Indica (broad leaf blade) or Sativa (narrow leaf blade). Yet the two phenotypes I have seem to indicate bud development is the more accurate method when trying to identify whether a particular strain is either Indica or Sativa dominant. In other words, the slender-bladed plant has produced buds/flowers that look more like what you would get from a pure Indica. The broad-leafed plant has produced flowers that would seem to indicate a Sativa (the buds foxtail like crazy, staking calyx on top of calyx, creating a fox tail effect).

Weird to say the least. Can anyone offer some clarity on this subject?

travese311

educated guess, and i smoked em up! and... the buds on the indica-pheno were very dense, while the other was more swollen and fluffy-sorta. im not an expert but thats my opinion

Latest posts

Latest posts