What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Odor Control when all else Fails?

LlamaSchool

I have over 3,000 watts of Reeferman Grapefruit in late flower and this is the smelliest crop I've had here yet.

I use a huge (100+ lb) carbon filter at my intake in the basement growroom, creating negative pressure with a 10" fan and mixing the air with ozone before it runs out a laundry dryer-looking duct.

The occupant(s) of the house smoke cigarettes in the upstairs floors and still you get a CLEAR smell of fruity marijuana even just standing OUTSIDE the CLOSED front door! I can have the whole house reeking but I can't be tipping off the mailman, etc.

I'm on the verge of purchasing another ozone generator and setting it up inside by the front door. It seems that the problem is mainly coming not from smelly air that has left the duct->outside but from residual smells that still float upstairs despite negative pressure.

Put another O2 gen by the door? Cover the smell with some other potent smell, whether jerry-rigged or by design? Something else?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Why do you use a Carbon filter on your intake not your exhaust ? [as I understand the above...]

O3 does really well at killing smells, so good it also reduces the crop smell if done in the room, you are right in doing it downstream, another can only help...

Cheese growers in the UK do a "double filter" with a Carbon filter on both sides of the fan... but make sure it is all rated correctly....

The best one I think, is to add multiple Carbon filters with extractors purely circulating INSIDE the room, reducing the general % of stinkiness before it gets to your clearly stink-overloaded extraction/filtration system. Yes it is a bit of money, but overall
cheaper than pesky Prison sentences or Home Invasions.

Good luck, safe growing.

M

mrred

you dont want to use a ozone gen unless you have it propperly installed, and you want your carbon filter on your exhaust, and you your intake is passive, and you could add a carbon scrubber inside the room to filter the air in the room

how do you have your ozone gen setup now?

Ms_Weekend

#1 ozone sucks...never worked for me

#2 if you had correct negative pressure no smell would be escaping(look at #3)

#3 carbon filter should be on your exhaust....(carbon filter inside the grow room)---(fan)-----(exhaust outside the grow room)

hope this helps some

maybe answer a few more questions?

where are you exhausting to?
have you checked for leaks in the duct work inside the room?
how do you exactly have your carbon filter set up?

I agree with Ms Weekend but no, a good Ozone generator kills smells so much you find new smells!

Honestly your filter is probably shit! It's probably not a direct filtration and probably already spent!

A good stinky strain will run through a filter quick and a weak ozone won't keep up!

Your kinda making me wanna try RM's Grapefruit!

M

mrred

for a ozone gen to work properly you need a chamber for the ozone and air to circulate and mix with the ozone a little bit before exhausting, and should only be used in the exhaust so you never breath any in

hilbie

vapourtronic, 36 dollars pre shipped, cartriges 2.25 a piece. problem solved after u put your carbon filter on your exhaust and add one of theese, u want the neutral scent-

it sounds annoying, but when you have no choice; spending 3 minutes a day is not so bad to ensure peace of mind. Go to Sams/Costco/Walmart & buy the largest vat of minced garlic u can find. Fry a tablespoon full every morning on low heat till the garlic is spent. the stink last 24 hours. i don;t care if you have 100000watts, nothing escapes garlic. My friends have much much worse concoctions, but i cannot stand anything that sticks to my clothes or walls/furniture. Garlic does not stick to materials like onions & other tinctures.

S

Shan Diego

Buy a cheapo decorative desktop-type fountain and fill it with Pine Sol or a similar lemony floor cleaner. Your surroundings will smell simply clean.

aceofspades

I only have 400 watts going right now, but I just purchased some ona gel and it seems to work decently. My scrubber needs to be refilled with carbon, but for the mean time this stuff is nice to just have around the house.

hilbie

Buy a cheapo decorative desktop-type fountain and fill it with Pine Sol or a similar lemony floor cleaner. Your surroundings will smell simply clean.

sorry shan diego im sure u mean well but your advice is toxic to human health, u dont want to breathing theese things in at all-

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I'm really surprised you don't have that scrubber on the exhaust with that big of a grow. That seems pretty elementary - was there a good reason for the scrubber sitting on the intake?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
for a ozone gen to work properly you need a chamber for the ozone and air to circulate and mix with the ozone a little bit before exhausting, and should only be used in the exhaust so you never breath any in

Exactly....

If you have neg pressure, as you state, and you're using an ozone generator.... the only thing keeping your place smelly is the lack of giving the ozone a chance to kill the smell. A long ducting run after the ozone is mixed in would be good.

Using ozone in a room occupied with plants or people ranges from mildly unhealthy to very unhealthy, depending on the concentration. Please try to avoid it. :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Buy a cheapo decorative desktop-type fountain and fill it with Pine Sol or a similar lemony floor cleaner.
Please do NOT use Pine-Sol. Not in any room that has pets, children or people. There are plenty of essential oil fragrances you can use that will work..... without destroying lung tissue. Thank you!

S

Shan Diego

Please do NOT use Pine-Sol. Not in any room that has pets, children or people. There are plenty of essential oil fragrances you can use that will work..... without destroying lung tissue. Thank you!

Wow, bold red letters sure got my attention...I apologize for passing out bad advice...I had no idea that this would pose any sort of risk, and tell you the truth, I think it is pure regurgitation actually...there is/was another DIY thread on this site or another where they elaborate on this very concept. I haven't actually employed this method my self, and it turns out that is a very good thing. Thanks for the correction, all...

eyes

Veteran
Im not a believer that a carbon filter gets rid of 100 percent of the smell.IT does get rid of quite a bit though.For it to be working properly keep the humidity40-50 percent.I notice once it starts creeping towards 55-65 percent the carbon gets wet and doesnt do its job.

I just happened to design a baffle box with an ozone genny along with the carbon filter.Also have the room double door sealed.neg pressure is great but what happens when that fan turns off and the smell starts to drift throughout the house?Try running the fan for a few minutes on shorter times running more frequently.put the fan on a speed controller and make sure your not pulling through the carbon too fast.ill let ya know how that box works out.

If you have one door with the usual gap underneath it,try installing a taped door out of 6 mil plastic with a peel and stick zipper.Im not sure of your intake size of if you have a damper on it- so the smell doesnt escape when the fan /filter is off. Seal up all cracks,double door,speed controller,backdraft on the intake.thats a start for ya.

Latest posts

Latest posts