What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing Problem's Anyone hang entire plant?

dj00140

Ok, My plants have one week left and i had a couple small branches break off and one medium sized one, so i hung them to dry, but the bud isnt that dense and is drying quickly, so i was thinking when I cut the whole plant just to hang the whole thing instead of branch by branch for like 4 days and then cut each branch off until the stem snaps and then put them into jars... I do however have a couple plants with very dense colas so maybe cut off these colas?

Any info on this is appreciated thanks!!! This is my first harvest!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Unless it's a small plant, that sounds like a major pain. Cut off individual stems and they'll be far easier to trim. Trimming before you hang is easier than after.

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
yes trimming first is easier but seems it slows the dry down not trimming, if its for personal i say to hang whole plant and trim As ya puff it, works for me, the leafs seem to protect the buds when they dry , then when i want a nug to puff i just pull out a nugg and pull off the leaves, then i have a perfect nug, slow dryed and perfect

opt1c

Veteran
i hang the plants whole for about 3-5 days; long enough for the outer fan leaves to get crinkly... you want to dry slowly not fast.. slower the better

after they've hung i place em in brown paper bags; just cutting branches off to fit
i let them cure in the brown bags for two weeks and then they are ready for trimming/smoking/market etc...

the nice thing i find is that if i'm only one person and i don't want to buy or hire trimmers the branches can be held in the paper bags indefinitely; long as you don't have a crazy low ambient humidity the buds won't dry out; if they do just throw a humidifier in the room and they're back to normal

i have buds that have been in the bags for over a month and people still think they haven't dried yet because the cure left em so soft and moist; they're totally cured though

i've found that leaving the vascular system of the plant intact during the dry and curing process gives the best smoke when all is said and done

but if you're lazy and don't care about quality and spending 70 days flowering out a strain you vegged for a month doesn't teach you patience then trim wet by all means (EDIT/but if you're doing a crazy amount of weight than do what u gotta do can't hate on that)

also with outdoor hanging the plant whole has the added bonus of letting all the nasties crawl to the top; ie the base of the plant; and vacate your buds... great for managing late season mites

G

Green Supreme

I hang all my plants. I would prefer 2 weeks hanging, but usually finances only allow 1 week. I hang them in a room at 70 degrees for a week, then they are trimmed and ready for jars with no burping. I challenge all of you to try it with one plant and compare with your method. Good luck. Peace GS

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Recently I switched to the intact-plant trimming method. I just snip at the soil and hang what's left after the flush. When it's ready to jar, I trim it up and in it goes. Simple as that, and made a huge improvement in my final product.

Latest posts

Latest posts