What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Update on my seeds...

inpain0013

Not being sure when to harvest buds with seeds (if you want viable seeds), I cut a "test" bud. Afterward, I thought, "dang... I should have asked about it on ICM before I cut this!" But, since I know that late is almost always better than never, I figured it would still be a good idea to post and ask the more experienced growers in this forum as to when to cut them. The thread is here.

Several of you were kind enough to share good information with me about when and how to harvest the seeds. Thank you so much. But, I still was afraid that I had harvested the first ones too soon and that there would only be a few to germ.

Again, I knew it was really too soon after harvesting them, but impatience and curiosity got the best of me. I decided to try to germ 5 of my sixty-odd seeds in a damp paper towel, inside a zip lock bag that was stored in a dark, warm place. Looking for worse case scenario (based on seed appearance), I chose the lightest green, most immature looking seeds. That was on 11/21.

It is now just 4 days later (11/25) and I am tickled pink to report that 3 of the 5 "test" seeds have germinated!!! :yes: :woohoo: :yes: I know that's only 60%. But, that was with the deck intentionally stacked against them... harvested a bit early... not allowed to completely dry on the "stem"... and, a germ test done only a few days after harvest! :) And, again, it has only been 4 days since I placed to germ! I'm pleased with the results!! :woohoo:

Thanks again to all of you who have shared your wisdom and input with me!! ;)

IP :smoker:

inpain0013

Glad your seeds worked, it is way cool isn't it? Happy buds.
H
Thanks, Haps! As I carefully opened the moistened paper towel, I felt just like an expectant daddy before there were ultrasounds!! And, when I saw that 3 of the seeds had sprouted, I was almost giddy!! :)

inpain0013

Just put my first into flower today, hope I have at least one girl. Working from bagseed!
Rock on, dude!! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!! But, let me know how they turn out as soon as you can... I get cramps in my fingers and toes quite easily!! :laughing: Seriously, though... good luck!! :yes:

M3@n_0n3

Pretty sure one is a girl. I am keeping them at 14 hours day, 10 hours night, for veg. One of 'em is very skunky with this light time.

Anyone have success with this method?

I use the little zip lock screw down containers for seeds and clones, for clones I use zip ties and saran wrap for humidity domes. This has 100% success rate for clones! Seeds, not so much.

Have been doing LST with all and looking nasty. :nanana:

Got photos and keeping a grow diary, not posting anything serious until I get results!

Looking for light leaks, ventilation and temp issues and such!

Thanks for being responsive in your thread!

inpain0013

Pretty sure one is a girl.

:woohoo:, dog!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

I am keeping them at 14 hours day, 10 hours night, for veg. One of 'em is very skunky with this light time.

Anyone have success with this method?

Sorry... but, I can't help you out here. I'm still new to all of this... just one grow (one female plant). But, I was very successful in getting 7 beautiful clones from her! One went into a small pot to keep her as a bonsai donor mom. The other six are in their homes where I will LST them. That seems like my best option since I only have fluorescents... one 48 inch, 4 tube fixture. Right now, all are on 24/7 under the fluorescents. But, when I'm ready to put the girls into flower, they will go on 12/12. And, the mom will go back into her 18 gallon plastic tote with a cfl on 24/7. Of course, if the girls get too tall to keep the mom with them, she'll go back into her own house sooner! :)

I use the little zip lock screw down containers for seeds and clones, for clones I use zip ties and saran wrap for humidity domes. This has 100% success rate for clones! Seeds, not so much.
Clones... :woohoo: WTG!!! Seeds... :frown:... very sad to hear that!

Just for the heck of it, I tried rooting 3 clones in moist potting soil in 3 ounce, clear, plastic cups... nothing extra... no humidity dome or anything. I did mist them 3 to 5 times per day. One of them rooted. :mad: Then, I got some Rootone rooting hormone from Wally World (on sale for only $2 :)) I took 6 clones, let them sit in room temp. water for about 20 minutes or so, dipped them in the hormone and socked them down in moist potting soil (75% potting soil & 25% perlite)... again, in the 3 ounce, clear, plastic cups. I misted them 2 to 3 times per day. Again, no humidity dome or anything else extra... just added water to the soil when needed. This time... 100% roots showing in 6 days!!! :yes: :yes:

Note to self: when rooting clones in the future... ALWAYS use rooting hormone!!!! :wallbash:

As for seeds, I take a whole paper towel, wet it with warm water, wring out enough of the water so that it is not dripping, place the seeds on the paper towl, fold it up around the seeds, place in a zip baggie and place on top of my cable box in my entertainment center (darkness inside the EC and warmth from the box). When I set my first 4 Northern Lights seeds that I got from Nirvana Shop, 4 out of 4 germinated!! :nanana: I don't remember how many days it took. But, I remember thinking it seemed pretty darn quick!! ;)

Have been doing LST with all and looking nasty. :nanana:

Got photos and keeping a grow diary, not posting anything serious until I get results!

Looking for light leaks, ventilation and temp issues and such!

Would love to see the photos. But, I understand having to keep all the unruly children under control!! ;)

Thanks for being responsive in your thread!

No problem at all, my friend!! :) The pleasure was all mine!! ;)