What's new

Soil grow has me confused

wygram

How long has this problem been going on? a week
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) seed
What is the age of your plants? various
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? from the start
How Tall are the plants? 12-18 inches
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) burnone's organic mix
What Nutrient's are you using? cal/mag, silica, bio-grow
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? cal/mag and silica a few times, bio-grow twice
How often are you watering? when necessary
What size bulb are you using? 400 CMH
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? no
What water are you using? tap

These two oldest that are currently in flower are showing the worst symptoms...

... something similar is starting on the leaves of some much younger plants...

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You don't mention the pot to plant size ratio, but you say they've been in those containers from the start and are 12"-18". That sounds like they're rootbound, which means they've probably been both over and underwatered (they go together like peanut butter and chocolate). The leaves have the look of watering problems.

It could be more complicated, though. If they are (still) small plants in big pots, you could be having trouble from lack of 02 at the roots, which looks (and is) similar to overwatering.

E

EvilTwin

hi wygram,
Sorry you're having plant problems. Those are pretty sativa looking...what strain are they?

I actually agree with both Deviant1 and Mr Greengenes. Tap water can be really bad...depending on the TDS. I'd say 100-200ppm is a great range and anything above 300ppm is bad for plants. When I first started growing at my current location, my tap was around 350ppm and I would get nutrient lockout from excess Ca++. Had yellowing and brown spots and dying leaves.

Don't have any specific advice right now but I'll keep watching and thinking and see if anything comes to mind.
Peace,
ET

I

In~Plain~Site

This picture really looks like an issue I had with my first grow......pH

young_leaf.jpg

Have you checked your pH lately, or at all ?

GL

IPS

wygram

You don't mention the pot to plant size ratio, but you say they've been in those containers from the start and are 12"-18".

They have been in the same soil mix from the start, but were transplanted as necessary. You can kind of see the bin they are in, in the first picture, it's about a 5 gallon rubbermaid with the two plants. They are definitely not root bound. It could be an overwatering problem...

In~Plain~Site said:
Have you checked your pH lately, or at all ?

I took some soil and tested it about a week ago, was in the 6.5-7 range.

wygram

hi wygram,
Those are pretty sativa looking...what strain are they?

They are a cross between a Zamal x Skunk female and a Thai x Skunk male. My friend learned the hard way how to identify males, but it sure makes for some sexy offspring.

The little guy in the last pic was taken from a bag from an old hippie.

E

EvilTwin

Zamal...interesting. That's from the Philippines. Probably a tropical sativa. So with those genetics, that cross is probably over 75% sat. I've grown some Asian sativas and they can be touchy. That's why I asked. Very low nute requirement.

Do you have meters to measure things? It would be good to know the tds (total dissolved solids) of your water as well as the ph of your runoff.

If no meters...you can pick up some ph measuring stuff at a pet store. Aquarium peeople use it and it's accurate enough for what you're doing. will let you know if something is way out of wack.

And how do your ice cubes look? If they're real cloudy or opaque...that means lots of calcium and solids in the water. That usually causes a high ph. This is all important since nutrients absorb at certain levels and if you're out of range...then the plant can't use it. It's a small investment when you consider what you pay for smoke on the street.
ET

Latest posts

Latest posts