What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

petition for legalization

grimcreeper

why doesnt somebody start a petition for national legalization. If we got enogh signatures and sent to the right place, wouldnt you think that someone in washington would take notice. But we would need alot of signatures

Grizvok

No, I don't think so.

Personally, I think our best chance is to begin to win on local levels (Breckenridge, Colorado) and state levels (Massachusetts and California). The continuation and growth of medicinal cannabis use is going to continue to help our cause and MAY help the government downgrade cannabis from a Schedule I drug.

You are looking WAY too far WAY too fast. The federal government is going to be dead last in acknowledging cannabis as a substance much less dangerous and addictive than the current legal drugs of nicotine and alcohol.

dddownlowww

Hey grimcreeper, there are a lot of organized people doing everything they can to change the laws. They work for MPP, NORML, DPA, LEAP, SAFER, ASA, DRCNET, SSDP and ALL of them need your support.

If you can afford a bag, you can afford to throw a few bucks at these fine folks. They'll email you when it is time to sign various petitions and contact your Rep.

Here's one to get you started.

Support the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act
https://secure2.convio.net/mpp/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=346

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
national trends are first set by state trends becoming majority. A huge petition could never hurt though.

J

JackTheGrower

Each State had to sign on to cannabis prohibition so we need to sign out State by State I assume.

dddownlowww

Each State had to sign on to cannabis prohibition so we need to sign out State by State I assume.

There are a lot of State laws on the books, it is true, but the real hurdle is the Schedule I designation by the Feds, and the Federal laws. Look at how many States already have somewhat liberalized their laws, be they medical allowances or decriminalization. Once the corner is rounded at the top, the dominoes will fall quickly.

Big petitions are nice, but I think direct contact with YOUR Representative, and direct support for the reform organizations like MPP who are working on this every single day are far more effective.

I repeat, if you can afford to buy a sack, you can afford to support the groups who would make it legal.

ddd