What's new

transplanting in flowering

dinkle89

i was told its not safe to transplant during flower...

was just wondering what ic's opinion was

im in 3 gal pots in week 3 of flower, wanting to xfer to 5 gal.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
How big are your plants? Are they root bound? How big is your wattage and what type of light?

IMO, you're probably not gonna get two gallons of root growth at 3 weeks in. Unless it's a long flowering sativa.

M

moses224

i step up from one to 5g day that i flip to 12/12 with np...i never let them start flowering then transplant...not to say it cant be done i just prefer not to ...disco seems to be more on track

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
To re-pot, or not?

To re-pot, or not?

Waste of time really.

DiscoB has it right.
I have watched the root growth closely in DWC.
There's very little root growth happening after 3 weeks of flower.
It all goes into the flowers/seeds.

Aloha
Weezard

Huntsman

I always transplant at about 3 weeks flower. I don't have much room in my cupboard so I put them into flower when the others are at the start of their sixth week, then 3 weeks later I put them in the same pots as the ones I just cropped.

My pots are 9 litres and 18 litres (2.5 gallons and 5 gallons) and every single time i transplant they go crazy. They start to stretch more and the stem fattens. By week 5 you would never know and every time I crop them they just slide straight out of the pot, just one big root-ball.

The only time I have ever had a problem was when I compacted the soil to much, it completely destroyed my bubblegum. The thing just never shot up or fattened at all, it just froze in time. After 2 weeks i pulled it up to throw it out and the roots were exactly as they were when I transplanted it.

So I say do it, im no expert but i've seen it work on mine and no way would I finish it off in a 3 gallon pot. Just try not to compact it too much and you should be laughing.And you know if it does take a week extra because the roots are using up energy filling out the pot or something then who cares, I always leave mine until 10 weeks so it could be shock I guess but it's well worth it.:joint:

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Yep, again, no root growth at that point really, but if they are totally root bound, you should probably repot them IMO.

potheadmd

I have this problem now and Im going to tranplant from 1 gal pots 2 a 3 gal pot because my girls are root bound now at 2 weeks into flower and I want great yields so Im moving up 2 3 gallons pots and hope 4 the best.

potheadmd

Well guys I just transplanted mine yesterday some 2-3 weeks later (lazy ass) so I will check the progress of my plants closely over the next week or so. But when I went to transplant them, they were 1 solid root mass. So hopefully I can see a little more time in between waterings. The buds are really just now forming smaller than 1/2 inches in diameter just lil popcorn kernels. So theres alot more growing 2 b done. Peace and overgrow the world.