What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

solar panel / hps light

G

Guest 88950

you mean the solar panel powering the hps. i would check the rating of the PV panel you are looking at to make sure its big enough

grow1620

yes the light could charge a solar panel, but there would be huge losses. I have a solar powered battery charger that maxes out when I put it under a 70w cfl about 1-2 inches away from the bulb-same charge rating as being in intense sunlight at noon.....if you had a huge setup you could probably throw in a solar panel here and there to run small fans off of, but it would be a total waste. Every solar panel added blocks or absorbs light and reduces the overall efficiency of the bulb. There's no way you could derive enough energy from a light source to be able to cool itself with solar conversions and still have enough light to grow anything.

So yes it's possible, but a huge waste of energy.

odin_

if you were already running a grow and used the panels in unused space you could probably get some power out of throwing solar panels in

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
LOL if he is only trying to run a device that is already solar powered, maybe a fan or something, it makes a little sense. Actually it's a cool idea to avoid needing another timer. You could always easily rewire the thing to run on batteries/transformer.
What is the application, OP?

odin_

LOL if he is only trying to run a device that is already solar powered, maybe a fan or something, it makes a little sense.
What is the application, OP?

i think he wants to use the solar panel to store power to help with the grow

i hope he doesnt think that he can get the light to umm run the light lol

jujimufu

hey thx for the replies guys much appreciated :)

and yes im gonna power a small fan with a solar panel ;D ive had to move the bigger fan to the bottom of my tent for space , my ladies are outa control :D

I was thinking of doing the same thing, I cant see a reason why a small panel they use for charging phones and such wouldn't work. They are cheap on ebay and worth the experiment I think:2cents:

grow1620

I think you'll just have to test out distances with it to see how much power it will get.

lol if this works well, that ebay guy is gonna sell a ton of those. good luck with it, I'm curious to see how it works out.

that will work, panel needs somewhat direct light though, you can take the panel out and extend the wires so you can hang it somewhere where there isn't a bud site to block :)

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
That IS interesting, imagine a future where solar panels are cheap, efficient, and can line grow rooms to soak up excess/wasted light! It won't be a huge recovery, but they would pay for themselves eventually.

G

Guest 88950

That IS interesting, imagine a future where solar panels are cheap, efficient, and can line grow rooms to soak up excess/wasted light! It won't be a huge recovery, but they would pay for themselves eventually.

lazyman, Konarka has developed a solar ink that will do just that. check out konarka.com

asde

sorry i didnt read all the post but to point out some things:
600w hps efficiency= ~30% (~180w)
solar panel efficiency= ~20%[dunno really but i heared something like this heh] (~180/100*20=~36)

so if your going to gather all the light an 600w hps creates to be absorpted by the solar panel your going to waste AT LEAST 564w(+hps ballast) of energy - not worth any effort, if you wanna invest money invest on ir absorption panels to help the science which may offers the only real productive way of minimizing losses in near future (just imagine we reach 20% at 15k nm range)

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I think the goal wouldn't be to use a light as a primary source of power for a PV cell, but to use a PV panel to capture otherwise wasted light. By capturing this wasted energy and converting it into something useful we can reduce overall draw on the grid, if even by a fraction. Amiright?