What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are these worth saving? Advice please.

BigLaughter

Hi.

Its starting to get very cold up here and we allready have had frost on some places.But Im not sure how to deal with it.On the pictures you can se some Himalaya Gold.They dont look ready to me and I have no idea how much more time they will need or if they will even have time to finish.Daytime temp is between 7-15C, so they aint growing as fast as I wished in that temperature.
picture.php

picture.php

:fsu:
My questions is.....
Are these plants worth saving?
How much time do you think they need to finish?
If they are worth saving, how can I do that in the best way?

Really hope someone is kind enough to help a newbe with some advices.

Hey Big

Your pictures arent working... but 1-2 light frost wont hurt as long as ur getting enough sun to dryem out...just beware of the mold man....but yeah try to get those pic's up kind of depends just how bad they got burnt

Jerry

zenoonez

Veteran
Works, might as well see if they can make it. I mean they aren't anywhere near ready so no point in yanking them. If you found them particularly good I would take a couple of clones of her but otherwise let her go and see if she can make it on her own.

BigLaughter

Can I take clones even if they are flowering?
I read somewere that it didnt worked so well.......
You think it would work with clones if I use root hormones and so...?

zenoonez

Veteran
Can I take clones even if they are flowering?
I read somewere that it didnt worked so well.......
You think it would work with clones if I use root hormones and so...?

People say not to take them during flower and they will probably not be good for an actual grow gen because they will likely be slower to go back to veg but you could bonzai those babies and use them as moms to supply your next grow. You would probably need to use rooting gel and use the softest greenest most succulent pieces you can find on the bush. Try not to get woody stuff because that doesn't root well.

THC123

Veteran
Hey , well if you already are having frost , then it's gonna be difficult or near impossible to finish her outdoors.

I would say at least try , leave them as long as you can . Or make cutting out of the plant and finish it indoors

BigLaughter

You think its possible to finish it indoors THC123? Are u saying I can dig it up and put it in a pot? About the frosts....Yes. We allready had a few nights with frost earlier......But after checked the weather it seams to be arround 5-15 C for the coming week.And since it doesnt look to bad I had to ask the pro´s in here what to do.
If I can dig it up......Will I still be able to get anything from them?
When one look closer to the plant its covered with flowers like the 1st pic....Wanna be sure they dont fall off because I cut some root´s.

Ms_Weekend

I hate to break it to you, but there is no ways those are finishing if youve already had frost.....they need at least 6 more weeks, if not 10 more......take some clones and try again indoors if you can.

zenoonez

Veteran
You think its possible to finish it indoors THC123? Are u saying I can dig it up and put it in a pot? About the frosts....Yes. We allready had a few nights with frost earlier......But after checked the weather it seams to be arround 5-15 C for the coming week.And since it doesnt look to bad I had to ask the pro´s in here what to do.
If I can dig it up......Will I still be able to get anything from them?
When one look closer to the plant its covered with flowers like the 1st pic....Wanna be sure they dont fall off because I cut some root´s.

If you want to save the genetics take a few clones, if you want to take the plant to fruition your best bet is to pull her out of the ground and hope the transplant works. I would dig the hole very large and use water to get the roots out of the dirt so it can go into a manageable pot.

BigLaughter

I hate to break it to you, but there is no ways those are finishing if youve already had frost.....they need at least 6 more weeks, if not 10 more......take some clones and try again indoors if you can.
Ok, that doesnt sound good at all consider they been in this state for some time allready.

If you want to save the genetics take a few clones, if you want to take the plant to fruition your best bet is to pull her out of the ground and hope the transplant works. I would dig the hole very large and use water to get the roots out of the dirt so it can go into a manageable pot.
Thanks again......I will consider this transplant idea.

Not sure about the clones though.
People say not to take them during flower and they will probably not be good for an actual grow gen because they will likely be slower to go back to veg but you could bonzai those babies and use them as moms to supply your next grow.
If they didnt work outside this time they probably not gona work next year either......
Maybe I have to consider another and faster strain for outdoor growing up here.......

BigLaughter

Sorry to bother you all again.But I decided to transplant them into pots and se if they would finish or if they had taken to much beating.Some days have gone since i did this and there are some questions that comes to mind by looking at them.Would like other peoples opinions on them.

When I digged them up I had to cut some root´s since they becme to big in the root system.I know that it would effect the plants negative.But I want to know if the problems these plants have is from the transplanting or if its something else?
I have feed them with these boneflour (dont know the word, sorry) that is organic and releases amounts of N & P, mainly P, and I also feed them NPK solution on and off that showes 1,1 on the EC meter.Uses a HPS bulb at the moment.

picture.php

On this picture you can se how many of the leaves looks like.At this stage I let them be and remove them first after they became yellow or brown.Should leaves in this conditions be removed in this stage or am I doing right that wait untill they are yellow?

picture.php

I have had a few of these tops.I cut some off and left some.But Im not sure if thats the right thing to do, is it?

picture.php

This is how they mainly looks like.Many of them all over the plants.But its allmost only these ones and no fan leaves.The lack of fan leaves worries me though.Will the plant manage without them?
I have seen some new smaller leaves though thats coming.

two heads

Veteran
Greenhouse Seeds should be ashamed!

Greenhouse Seeds should be ashamed!

I hope your plants recover. I think you are doing the right thing cutting off the dead tops and I'm sure they will grow new sun leaves to support the buds that have survived.

You've shown admirable restraint in not railing against Greenhouse seeds, who claim this outdoor strain is ready by the end of September:

http://greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=24

My son is growing the same strain under similar conditions in Canada. His are further along than yours and will be coming down in the next couple of days, though they could still use two more weeks if the weather would allow.

Maybe all Greenhouse cares about is making a sale, regardless of how it alienates customers from buying from then again. How could they not know these plants would be nowhere near done by the end of September?

His plants were germinated in May and this is how they looked September 23. Further on than yours perhaps but a lot more than a week from maturity. (Sorry for the poor quality, it was getting dark when I took the pics...)

picture.php

picture.php

when plants are transplanted they often go into some form of transplant shock; I suspect that may be what is going on . Take good care of them including ample water, and see if they make it. They probably will, even though they might not give as good results as if they had started earlier and didn't require being moved. Don't worry too much about them . If they make it, fine . If they don't you have gained a great deal of experience . Worry will not help you or the plants.

BigLaughter

Thanks for the replies and advices.

I hope your plants recover. I think you are doing the right thing cutting off the dead tops and I'm sure they will grow new sun leaves to support the buds that have survived.
I´ll keep cutting them off then.Just had to ask someone who is more used to this then me.

You've shown admirable restraint in not railing against Greenhouse seeds, who claim this outdoor strain is ready by the end of September:

http://greenhouseseeds.nl/shop/index...&product_id=24

The one reason I bought these seeds was the amount of yield and the time they finished.But since this been the coldest summer in 50 years here and the temp been sooo far down from what it usually is during summer I dont wanna blame anything/anyone but the weather.But I suspect that its not exactly true what they say.Or its because Im living to far north and the daylight stays very long during summer.So it takes them time to start to flower.

My son is growing the same strain under similar conditions in Canada. His are further along than yours and will be coming down in the next couple of days, though they could still use two more weeks if the weather would allow.
Would be intresting to know how far north he lives (latitude)to reach that result you showed on the pictures so I know if there is any point in trying this strain again( Im arround 61N), or if i have to change?Nice colour on those plants though.

when plants are transplanted they often go into some form of transplant shock; I suspect that may be what is going on . Take good care of them including ample water, and see if they make it. They probably will, even though they might not give as good results as if they had started earlier and didn't require being moved. Don't worry too much about them . If they make it, fine . If they don't you have gained a great deal of experience . Worry will not help you or the plants
I was also suspected thats whats going on.Just had to get a second opinion.
The yeild will be lower compare to if they been able to grow without the transplant.But belive it or not,I started these ones indoors in April and then put them outside.So either its the unusually low temperature and bad weather this year or this strain just dont work up here in the north.Hard to tell.
Anyway, as you pointed out.No matter what happends I gained alot of experiance and knowledge. Just think it would have been fun to be able to harvest something.......

two heads

Veteran
Hi Biglaughter - we are at 44N, a lot further south, and our Himalaya Gold is only a little further along than yours. (I offered my son some of my own acclimatized seed but we were on vacation in Amsterdam and he couldn't resist...)

You're being generous blaming the wet summer (here as well) but that shouldn't affect when flowering is triggered.

libby

Trasplanted mine 3 days ago, gettin very cold, lost part of a cola, a few purple leaves, but what a brilliant color, now under a 600w desperate times.......

BigLaughter

Hi two heads

Hi Biglaughter - we are at 44N, a lot further south, and our Himalaya Gold is only a little further along than yours. (I offered my son some of my own acclimatized seed but we were on vacation in Amsterdam and he couldn't resist...)

You're being generous blaming the wet summer (here as well) but that shouldn't affect when flowering is triggered.
Well....I do live a bit north from you and this summer its been weeks when the temp havent been above 15C, so that would effect the growing for sure.But if they havent been more developped for you.........Then its time to start woundering were they got their estimated end of flowering from.Maybe they are best for indoor growing?

Trasplanted mine 3 days ago, gettin very cold, lost part of a cola, a few purple leaves, but what a brilliant color, now under a 600w desperate times.......
Are you also growing Himalaya gold, or what strain are you growing? Sorry to hear about the lost cola.Hope they give you enough anyway....