What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 down 3 to go

snafu421

i got my order form gypsy a 5 pack of fem the church and i tried to germinate one at a time the first one i soaked in distilled water with a drop of superthrive and root hormone and after it dropped i put it a paper towel in a bag on top of the TV , the second seeds i started one day ago and i just put it into the paper towel in a bag on the TV i see that gypsy no longer sells the church in the 5 pack maybe the seeds are old , or maybe TV is too hot , but i have used the paper towel on the TV thing for years. so if you guys have a surefire way of germinating seeds i would love to hear it ... i really don't have the money to reorder seeds i need to make this work THANKS

to first test the seed to see if it will germ. If give it a squeeze if you breaks it wouldn't have grown.
If you put a piece of sand paper in cup and shake it around it will rough the out side and let the water get in.

L

lysol

Paper towels suck and are mold prone, plant directly in medium = no transplant shock, why start em offon a bad foot ( or root in this case )

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Paper towels suck and are mold prone, plant directly in medium = no transplant shock, why start em offon a bad foot ( or root in this case )
Agreed, I never understood why you need to see it grow a tail before you bury it, just another step to mess up the way I see it.:noway::noway::noway:

UnknownProphet

???do?Pu?ou?uU
Veteran
^^You are tripping, I'm germed around 200+ seeds over the years and have had only about 10 over time not pop, out of those ten 8 were mystery seeds and I think they were bunk anyways, so that means 2 of 200+ or 1%. I have culled out slow growers, but I honestly think that has to do with genetics because I'm next to positive there's no shock. As soon as I see a taproot I grab the tweezers shut off the light and plop them in soil. Works every time. Well at least for me.

And to you snafu I think you're doing too much with superthrive AND a root hormone. It's germination they have enough food in the distilled water. It's your seeds and your call though so.."Like my man Booker T told me, Do what you do, and do it good."

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
WOw, I have just used RO water and paper towels and got near 100% germ, don't dead seeds sink when dropped in a glass of water too?

WOw, I have just used RO water and paper towels and got near 100% germ, don't dead seeds sink when dropped in a glass of water too?

That sink vs float thing is a myth. I dropped my seeds in a shotglass and a couple went to the bottom and they all germed.

I wouldn't soak them in superthrive, I just use water and plant them in peat pucks with a heat mat controlled by a thermostat. If you are having trouble, try scuffing them in a matchbox lined with sandpaper before you soak them in water.

Frozenguy

Veteran
I plant in FFOF/FFLW/perlite/EWC/dolomite lime and water soil and have 100% germ rate within 10 days but most are up within 3-4 days.

With the exception of two strains, Rockbud and South African Durban Poison. I only got 3 Rockbuds to sprout and couldn't get any durbans to sprout but I've sprouted hundreds of other seeds in soil with perfect results.