What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

devistated overnight? any insight

B

bombdotcom

hey guys, this is the farthest ive made it thus far since growing literally in the home stretch and this shit happens to me. its so frustrating every time something manages to go wrong.

i fear my problems all started because right before i switched my plant into flowering, i transplanted into a bigger pot, but i also trimmed the roots. After digging the plant up now i realize that the plants roots have barely grown at all during the couple weeks tehy were in flowering. it also looked like it had root rot (from such small amount of roots in a big container). i went from a 2 liter bottle to a 2 gallon container but i also trimmed the roots (maybe even too much).

here she was a week ago:
picture.php

here she was today when i woke up:
picture.php

picture.php

yesterday i woke up and her leaves were bent down with the tips burnt and today was just devistation

what do you guys think happened? i think it was due partially to me transplanting to too big of a pot for the root size, combined with maybe over nutrients? i was giving 8ml of canna a+b, 2ml canna pk 13/14, 2ml of cal mag, and then some molasses

sad day =(, but the journey goes on!

B

bombdotcom

b/c they were rootbound in their 2 liters. They were fine from it for like 5 weeks as you can see in the first pic(which was like 3 weeks after i trimmed the roots and transplanted) i just think it was a combination of things that ultimately led to their demise lol

i also didnt like having to mix the npk ratios with canna a+B and the pk 13/14, this next grow im going to be running soley floranova - way easier.

well bomb u no for next time not to trim.....i think they get rootbound yet its ok....if you trim roots and or foliage....then the opposite component will halt growth while it repairs itself. the only thing i can think of is to ask you bomb, what kind of pH meter do you use, whens the last time it was calibrated, and what do you pH at?

B

bombdotcom

i used drip PH test by general hydro watering at 6.0 ph. next time im not going to transplant so close to when i switch to flowering. my plants were thriving during, not a single problem from any of my plants, i just feel the combo of transplanting then switching into flowering so quickly is what did it. i should have vegged a couple more weeks in their new containers before switching into flowering

707Corridor

what do you guys think happened? i think it was due partially to me transplanting to too big of a pot for the root size, combined with maybe over nutrients? i was giving 8ml of canna a+b, 2ml canna pk 13/14, 2ml of cal mag, and then some molasses

Although massively cutting your roots might have casued this....I think another part of your problem was using PK 13/14 a little too early into flowering. Your only supposed to use that as a PK booster sometime around 3 weeks before finish. Not from the start of flowering. As it seems you did. I think others might agree.

thats my :2cents:

T

TheMintMan

bombdotcom said:

If the transplant was 5 weeks ago and it's been fine until now, that is not the problem.

We need more information to properly diagnose this...are you using tap water? Do you let it sit out for the chlorine to evaporate?

Off the top of my head...here's a quote from 10k that might have something to do with the problem you're having. Even if it isn't, it's something everyone should know and I didn't want to plagarize so here goes...(I bolded the most important parts)

Yup, not to mention the fact that even though soil is high cec and has the ability to receive much higher pH levels than mineral chem salts hydroponics would normally run at. The point that gets totally forgotten about is that the chemical hydroponics mineral salts nute packages like GH flora multi-part become drastically damaged if they're pH'd too high during the mixing process.

for example...

That would be fine if you were speaking about a poop soup tea, fish emulsion, fox farms etc or other non hydro chem salts nutrient, but in this case it's gh flora micro and flora bloom being mixed !

Well, I hate to keep harping on about it, but when mixing chem hydro mineral salts nutes like gh flora series, anything above 6.5 IS causing some solution damage from elements precipitating and becoming unavailable in the solution. Now, don't make me break out the supporting quotes from general hydroponics, flairform etc., but, anything above 6.5pH while mixing up your chem nutes can cause P, K and several micros to precipitate out and become unavailable for uptake. Screw thinking about soil pH nutrient availability charts, what I'm talking about is IN the chemistry of the somewhat damaged nute solution before it's even poured into the medium. The precipitated crap can be so small that you aren't really seeing it as a white dust on the bottom of a mixing reservoir, it can also be invisible held in suspension in the solution and not be available in the nutrient, yet be building up in the medium like a harmful salt. Damaged chemical nutrient solutions don't have the element balance we think were feeding, but rather can be somewhat imbalanced and even toxic to some degree.

In short, if you're using chemical nutrients make sure the pH of your water is below 6.5 BEFORE you mix them in.

bombdotcom said:
i used drip PH test by general hydro watering at 6.0 ph. next time im not going to transplant so close to when i switch to flowering. my plants were thriving during, not a single problem from any of my plants, i just feel the combo of transplanting then switching into flowering so quickly is what did it. i should have vegged a couple more weeks in their new containers before switching into flowering

Yes, you should have. But again, that is NOT what did your plant in 5 weeks later.

Also, don't feed every watering if you are.

B

bombdotcom

If the transplant was 5 weeks ago and it's been fine until now, that is not the problem.

We need more information to properly diagnose this...are you using tap water? Do you let it sit out for the chlorine to evaporate?

Off the top of my head...here's a quote from 10k that might have something to do with the problem you're having. Even if it isn't, it's something everyone should know and I didn't want to plagarize so here goes...(I bolded the most important parts)

In short, if you're using chemical nutrients make sure the pH of your water is below 6.5 BEFORE you mix them in.

Yes, you should have. But again, that is NOT what did your plant in 5 weeks later.

Also, don't feed every watering if you are.

hey i really appreciate the comments, guys.

mintman: i was using tap water, with a ppm of ~70, and a ph of 7.5 when coming out of the faucet. I initially added the nutrients first then adjusted the ph last - are you saying that this was a bad idea?

also i did this all the way through veg and i never had a problem(with adding nutes first, adjusting ph last), up until flowering where it seems all of my problems hit me at once

i think my biggest problem was the incorrect mixing of the pk 13/14 and the fact that the root mass was so small inside the 2 gallon container, i should have waited longer before transplant. When i had my plants rootbound in the 2 liters they loved being fed everyday.

T

TheMintMan

bombdotcom said:
mintman: i was using tap water, with a ppm of ~70, and a ph of 7.5 when coming out of the faucet. I initially added the nutrients first then adjusted the ph last - are you saying that this was a bad idea?

Yes. It can damage/alter your chemical nutrients so your plants aren't getting what you think they are. You'll have to check your pH again after you add your nutes to make sure they didn't change things too much of course. And adjust accordingly.

bombdotcom said:
also i did this all the way through veg and i never had a problem(with adding nutes first, adjusting ph last), up until flowering where it seems all of my problems hit me at once

Problems can occur over time. Especially since you were feeding them every day. It's called salt build-up, and it's a bad thing.

bombdotcom said:
i think my biggest problem was the incorrect mixing of the pk 13/14 and the fact that the root mass was so small inside the 2 gallon container, i should have waited longer before transplant. When i had my plants rootbound in the 2 liters they loved being fed everyday.

Going from a 2 liter to a 2 gallon isn't that big of a jump. I go from 1 gallon to 5 all the time without any problems. You just have to get a feel for when to water. If you don't let the soil dry out enough between waterings you will have a weak root system and possible rot.

You're right though. Wrong time to use the PK. That's for much later in flowering. Use for 1 week...3 weeks from harvest.

Good luck,
Mint.

B

bombdotcom

well im confused.
before like isaid iw ould mix the nutes first then adjust ph last.
for example, i would take my tap water, then add my nutrients, and by adding my nutrients they would automatically lower the ph of my water into a reasonable range.

by adjusting PH first, i would have to add ph down, then add nutrients (which woud lower ph even further), would i then have to add some ph up to get them to the correct level?

also: if i remembe reading correctly he says this is for only for chemical nutes? would this rule still apply for floranova? ty

T

TheMintMan

by adjusting PH first, i would have to add ph down, then add nutrients (which woud lower ph even further), would i then have to add some ph up to get them to the correct level?

Ideally no. You figure out how much pH down it takes to get your pH to 6.5 and add that, then add your nutes which will probably lower it to 5.8-6.0, then bubble it overnight and it should rise up a bit. Check it to make sure before watering.

In soil anywhere between 6-7 is good. Start in the lower end of that range because it will rise.

B

bombdotcom

hey mintman i appreciate the help,

were not talking about the soil here though, im talking about coco.

anyways do you suggest i thrown an airstone in the nutrient's for a little bit before watering? i thought this was only for deep water culture where the roots need to breathe.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Bomb ...... some simple advice

1 Airstone in rez, the pH of the water will rise but the dissolved oxygen will reach maximum = DWC type growth
2 Never trim your roots
3 Use small pots to flower, I use 3.4 litre pots and 6+oz is not unusual

This is in a 3.4 litre pot and is not yet done
picture.php

You're in coco and you can use a lot less medium and a lot more feed/water

Better luck next time
Bush:joint::joint:

T

TheMintMan

If you're using coco then your pH should be lower even. 5.6-6.0. Don't let it go over 6.2.

Adding an airstone to your mixing jug evaps out the chlorine faster, mixes your nutes better, and adds dissolved oxygen.

D

DonkDBZ

I water by hand and mix my nutes in 5 gallon home depot buckets with RO water right before I water. Would throwing a airstone into my bucket for 5 or 10 mins do anything?

wickedpete66

hey guys, this is the farthest ive made it thus far since growing literally in the home stretch and this shit happens to me. its so frustrating every time something manages to go wrong.

i fear my problems all started because right before i switched my plant into flowering, i transplanted into a bigger pot, but i also trimmed the roots. After digging the plant up now i realize that the plants roots have barely grown at all during the couple weeks tehy were in flowering. it also looked like it had root rot (from such small amount of roots in a big container). i went from a 2 liter bottle to a 2 gallon container but i also trimmed the roots (maybe even too much).

here she was a week ago:
picture.php

here she was today when i woke up:
picture.php

picture.php

yesterday i woke up and her leaves were bent down with the tips burnt and today was just devistation

This happened overnight? Looks like you definitely have overnuted with K. You can try a ph'ed flush, but from the looks of the flowers they are all brown and shriveled up. I dont think your going to be saving this plant.

In cocoa you dont have to worry about the plant being root bound. It just means you will have to water/feed more often. I have grown plants that have gotten an oz+ per plant in 2 litre bottles. You just end up feeding them 3x day from mid flower on.

wickedpete66

I water by hand and mix my nutes in 5 gallon home depot buckets with RO water right before I water. Would throwing a airstone into my bucket for 5 or 10 mins do anything?

Donk, I mix my nutes up in those 5 gal rubber maid drink containers. I have a bubble wand going constantly to put oxygen into the water.

Latest posts

Latest posts