What's new

Pollen is Pollen, right?

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
Weird title. What i mean to say is; Is the viability and genetic make up of male flower pollen deminished in any other why besides quanity if the male plant is not given ideal conditions. I believe that the answer is yes. Let me layout an example... my percise situation actually.

With limited space my intentions are to take a newly rooted (first day i saw roots through the rockwool) plant of unknown sex (the parents are 6 week old seed plants still vegging) and force it to flower by either putting a cup, pot, shoebox, ect over it everyday for 3 - 4 weeks. Until i know the sex and if its male it starts to drop pollen. I was thinking maybe taking it (them) out @ 12 / 12 everyday and putting them into a rubbermaid storage bin (obviously opaque) where i can collect the pollen off of the bottom.

My concern is, these clones are tiny... just started sprouting roots and when in the veg room they are just getting the corner area. So, with hardly any special care once the identified males start dropping pollen, this pollen will be as studly and potent as any male grown to full size? I know of course i will not get a lot of pollen, especially since i only want to perform this manual task for 3 weeks... Ugh, count it... twice a day everyday for at least 3 weeks having a commitment at 7am each morning and 7pm each evening.

What do you guys think? I just want to make sure that i am not losing any genetic atributes by flowering so small and quick.

In case anyone was wondering I am working with

Final Seedlings –
3 – Chronic
3 – Blue Mystic
2 – AK-48
0 – Aurora Indica (0/3 to germ)
8 total

Hoping to get a keeper or 2 for females and use all the males pollen for storage in the freezer to pollenate my Purple Kush, Sour D and Blue Dream cuttings I have that will be under a 600 watt. And maybe make some F2 Chronics. And i guess if i get a male of all 3 of the seedlings then i could make:

Chronic x Chronic
Chronic x Purple Kush
Chronic x Sour Diesel
Chronic x Blue Dream

AK-48 x Chronic
AK-48 x Purple Kush
AK-48 x Sour Diesel
AK-48 x Blue Dream

Blue Mystic x Chronic
Blue Mystic x Purple Kush
Blue Mystic x Sour Diesel
Blue Mystic x Blue Dream

sound interesting? too bad getting good pollen is so hard to get.. i would have loved to have dusted a few lower branches of my Chemdawg from my last grow with any good / interesting daddy pollen to have a bunch of seeds to throw around to the community.

I am really excited for this Serious Seeds Chronic male. Please Please Please.

Sorry for the :rant:

Natagonnaworrie

Veteran
additional info on the project

additional info on the project

ok, if the general word is yes regarding the pollen's QUALITY then i am getting really excited about making this happen soon. My flower chamber is not up yet but will be ready in about 3 weekends worth of work. That should give me 3 - 4 weeks to collect pollen, then another 3 weeks for the females (the known and the not yest determined) to start throwing pistals before they get dusted.

Here is few pictures of what i am working with for space / strains / light:

seed plants under a hydrofarm 125 w daytime CFL. All labed appropriatly.
this pic was taken alomost 2 weeks ago, the plants were a month old. this shot is pre-topping, which each 'top' was made into a cuttings to root in 1" rookwool cubes.
Feel free to give me feedback if there is something i can be doing a little differently :wave:
picture.php

Here is a picture of all the babies (i'm so used to calling them ladies ha ha... i really popped the seeds just to find some pollen to cross these elites or whatever you call them with) post chop / top. All the clones on the left labeled correctly.
Since this picture they all needed to be cut back again, so i took 2 more cuts of each baby. obv those clones are a little behind.
picture.php

okay, and the last picture. these are verified cuts from one of the most reputable dispensaries in the San Fransico area. I figure someday when i move from this beautiful state I will want to have these genetics back. I only know one thing, it couldn't hurt! So i will hopefully pollenate these ladies with the different males that i may discover. Really excited about the Chronic, but if the AK-48 or Blue Mystic give me a good dad too then i will enjoy that also. I just feel like the staple genetics that are in Serious Seeds strains will match well with just about anything.
picture.php

okay, folks... tell me how i am doing. If there is interest maybe i will keep posting here as an ongoing journal of this project. I would love the advice and critisms and just to share this experience.

btw, in the 2 weeks since the last shots everything has really blown up. I'll snap some more pics tomorrow to show the progress.

still the one question remains (ha ha, like i gave you guys a chance to answer it). Is the pollen from tiny, barely rooted clones receiving 125 w of blue sperctrum CFL going to be as good (genetically) as a male grown to maturity, full size, plenty of lights, proper nutes?

Thanks!

(i love these forumns. You guys rock.)

*NGW out* :abduct:

joaquin386

Where should the pollen be store and under what conditions. I have Neville Haze pollen into a Jar but the best way to store it is?

Natagonnaworrie

Veteran
that is some weird answering a question with a question double reverse psychology. well,

Harry: Anti-quitsies, you're it, quitsies, no anti-quitsies, no startsies!
Lloyd: You can't do that!
Harry: Can too!
Lloyd: Cannot, stamp it!
Harry: Can too, double stamp it, no erasies!
Lloyd: Cannot, triple stamp, no erasies, Touch blue make it true.
Harry: No, you can't do that... you can't triple stamp a double stamp, you can't triple stamp a double stamp!

from the very top of the Breeders page.... the # 1 sticky has everything you want to know.

Collecting, Storing, and Mailing Pollen

http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=1034

speaking of mailing. mail some to me ha ha. I'll have to read that thread :yeahthats

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
ive used "young plant pollen" with just about as much success as using pollen from "mature" or "older" males.
in fact, we prefer to keep male donor plants small, to keep the overall amount of pollen down. some prefer larger male plants, for, simply more pollen. and when one chooses a mature male plant, one has a little bit more of an idea on what said male brings to the table.

in short....you'll be fine. imo, of course, im sure mileage will vary.
but ive used young male donors before in the past with pretty mached success with "mature" male donors. you just take a lil more risk because you dont know what daddy will ultimately bring to the table without knowing what hes like a maturity.

Natagonnaworrie

Veteran
thanks for that hubcap.

i would just like to get a little of pollen off each variety so when i do my PK, BM, SD grow and can replicate the genetics in some form.

they are getting bigger. only 1 has shown roots. once a few more do, its into the dark for 12hrs a day.