What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bonide Tomato & Blossom Set Spray

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Has anyone here used this stuff? It's called Bonide Tomato & Blossom Set Spray. It contains kinetin, which is a synthetic cytokinin. I swear by the stuff, and think it's a relatively undiscovered gem. I'd love to hear what others know about it though.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's page:
Tomato and Blossom Set Spray

Yes, I have been using it off and on for close to 8 years now. I have done side by sides with it and given it to my gals at different times. The best time I find to give it to them is at week one of flower. Spray at lights out and spray good. I then give it to them right when they start showing buds, or around week 2 and that is it. I have treid it at later times and I find the plants have an adverse reaction to it. I have also tried it in veg and did not see any difference, but I also use kelp during those stages.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Thanks for the reply! What sort of adverse reactions do they get from it later in flower? My cousin has used it all the way up to harvest with seemingly no ill effects, but maybe it hurt yield or something. I don't know for sure.

I've definitely used it in veg, and the major difference I noticed was yellowing leaves stopped dying, and vertical growth, and root growth almost totally stopped for a day or two, but side branching increased.

I will hold off on using it in late flower though until I know more.....

I found it discolored leaves later on in flower and some of the buds turned a weird color as well. I saw zero gains when I used it at week 4, 5, 6. These were on clones. You have to be very careful with hormones as it's a guessing game time wise. I thought I had it wired when I gave it to them right when buds started to form or week 2 or 3. But I realy saw the biggest gains applying it at week 1 of flower.
I'll give it another shot in veg and see what I come up with.
P.S. I had one plant that was having issue later in flower, tried giving it some and it made it worse.

L

LolaGal

I tried it too. didn't do much that I could see, but I think it caused one of my gals to hermie! I put it on and POP goes the nanners. I used it veg and flower both.

I think this stuff is great. It jolts my plants with vigor and gets them branching laterally rather than increasing nodes vertically. Also, I've used it well into late flowering (spraying lightly but directly at swelling buds) and believe that it improved growth substantially. This is on a Sativa-dom strain of unknown origin. Immediately thereafter I foliar feed with fulvic acid and nutes at 20% strength. The very next day I flush with pH'd water (to make sure that they don't burn). After that we go back to the standard feed regimen. :2cents:

magiccannabus

Veteran
Interesting feedback. I have heard such a wide range of things about this product. Some people say it reversed hermies(on another board), and some that wonder if it caused hermies. Some get results late in flower, some don't. Makes me wonder if some strains, maybe lanky sativas benefit more from this product than a really compact indica would. I mean, the Indica is shorter and denser and branchy anyway, so I can assume that the cytokinin levels in an Indica are naturally higher anyway. Maybe this spray is too much for such a plant? I know my Purple Haze benefited from it immensely. She had some bad problems late in flower and it brought her back in a way I don't ever see without it. For those of you that had problems with it, what type of phenos were you working with? Were they branchy already?

I'm at day 31 now, and so I can't attest to late flower use, but I would definitely agree that at week 1 it produces results! I just applied some to them yesterday, so I guess I'll see how it treats them at week 4-5. I will post results when I can. If I forget to post them here, they'll definitely be in my grow diary.

Makes me wonder if some strains, maybe lanky sativas benefit more from this product than a really compact indica would.

I suspect that this may be true, actually. As I understand it there is a bit of a "battle" between the growth hormones, auxin and cytokinin. Auxin regulates growth from the top down and spurs development in the part of the plant that gets the most light. Meanwhile, cytokinin does the opposite. It originates from the roots and travels upwards. It promotes lateral branching vs vertical elongation. Both hormones are always present, but the ratio between them determines what grows in whatever direction.

An indica has higher natural levels of cytokinin and a lanky sativa (which has to compete with and grow through thick tropical foliage) is dominated more by auxin. I've never grown an indica dominant strain before. So, I'm not sure what it does in that application.

She had some bad problems late in flower and it brought her back in a way I don't ever see without it.

I experienced the same thing. Spraying cytokinin jump started my last batch which had suffered from a pH-derived magnesium lock out. (Of course, that revival was only possible after fixing the original problem.)

moonymonkey

been using this stuff for years too,i noticed a diff. using it on,wen using diff. soil mixes...some did better at diff. times,applications...times...moon/ba,ba,ba,baaa,...pokerface...lady ga ga...

magiccannabus

Veteran
Interesting... I have never grown a truly Indica-dominant plant either. Maybe that's why I've seen such great results with this and never any bad ones. I have a C99/Deep Chunk though in the works that may fit the bill. Maybe I'll run some tests on a clone of her when I have the opportunity.

I can't stress enough how this recovered the Purple Haze. Just look at the pictures....
First is from 4/6/2009. She's in the back on the right:
picture.php

Now here's her at 4/20/2009:
picture.php

She hasn't become a whole lot taller, and she's a very stretchy strain, but she's definitely filled out. These two pics show it even better:
picture.php

picture.php

I'm really kinda scared to spray my North #1 with this stuff. She's still in veg, but she's trifoliate and INSANELY branchy. The thing is like 8 inches tall and 14 inches across, all foliage, all over. It's very Sativa looking too, which is the weird part. Maybe when I get her in flower in a month or two, I'll give it a try.

See what I mean:
picture.php

T

Teeg420

your purple haze still looks light it has a slight claws foot or rams horn what are you feeding them?

L

loc

I hosed down all my plants with it yesterday.There anywhere form one to 3 weeks into flower,and one is a hermi.I want to see if it will reverse it.Its a satori that IM growing for meds,so its going to stay,even if it pollenates everything in the tent.I have 2 satori,2 double gum,and a new cross of rasta pinky x hawaiian indica.The double gums are just begining to flower,so the timeing is about right on those.The hermi satori looks like it grew a few inches since the hosedown yesterday.I will post the results when I see them.:joint:

bakerman

Seed Junkie!:D
Veteran
Years ago I used some kinda tomateo stuff,not sure or just real lucky but,all i sprayed was female!

magiccannabus

Veteran
your purple haze still looks light it has a slight claws foot or rams horn what are you feeding them?

I am feeding them compost tea and molasses mainly. It only does this at the top though, which makes me suspect it may be a heat issue. I feed the Purple Haze the least though. She's very nute sensitive. When I feed the others, I typically feed her only a third of what the others get. I'll keep an eye on her since I just fed her. If she gets worse I will ease off it completely.

magiccannabus

Veteran
I hosed down all my plants with it yesterday.There anywhere form one to 3 weeks into flower,and one is a hermi.I want to see if it will reverse it

I have heard rumors to that effect, but I would be cautious about counting on it. I am curious to see the results, but I hope you don't ruin your meds trying..... have you been trimming the male flowers off by hand?

L

loc

Yes,I have been picking the flower clusters off.The plants growing at a pretty good clip,and Ive been getting a small handfull of flowers,a day,the last few days.I can see some seed pods forming already.Im hoping for the flowers to slow down or quit,but regardless,Im going to grow that one out.I will just discard those seeds,since they were hermi made.If it wasnt the med smoke,I would have chopped it down,but its a good 4 ft tall,and I will loose a few ounces of something I need.I took some clones from this one,so there probably going to go hermi also.

magiccannabus

Veteran
Hermie traits caused by stress can be avoided in clones, but natural inclinations to hermie are hard to avoid no matter what you do. Some plants just really want to be hermie.

B

bagseed77

hahah i googled tomato set spray but i didnt put cannabis in ,and ic mag was like 5th link down, ic is every where, hit my outdoor girls with this stuff on friday, it rained about 3 hours later, do i need to spray again or what, im trying to keep these plants that are spring flowering going, i want them to keep flowering and not reveg too soon, if i can get another month of flowering i will be happy as a mofo, pace ooot

magiccannabus

Veteran
IMO I wouldn't use kinetin more than 1 time a week during veg or flower. In the first two weeks of 12/12, for a very stretchy sativa, you could go with 2 times a week. Anything more is just not necessary, and I haven't observed any major advantages to it. I could be wrong. I haven't studied it in a clinical manner yet. Eventually I shall!

rave420

if the leaves would be straight, normal towards the ceiling they wouldn't recieve any light. They have to turn sideways in order to get the light. You got 360 degrees of light, but none comming from the top. this confuses the plant, but is nothing to be concerned about, as long as you know what the cause is.

Latest posts

Latest posts