What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Attic turned into convection oven

Guys, I have 6 plants in soil and about 3 weeks into flower, everything was looking great, minor battle with mites going on but looking good. Then this little heat wave hit and I was gone for 1 1/2. Well the temps got to 107 ish in the grow space and the fans were blowing hot air. Pretty sad on my part but this is my first major fuck up. Anyway how should i proceed?

trim dead spots off leaves?
reduce nutes?
or scrap the grow and start over?

Sorry i don't have any pics but just imagine burned up plants everywhere. Most fan leaves are dead but the small ones around the bud not so bad just the tips on the small ones. And the fucked part is the temps are back to mid 70's today.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
key words - mites, dry, over 100, spots on leaves...

Usually when I have these conditions, the plants never make it safely through flower without major webs and stunting due to mite domination aka "The borg". They love hot and dry and if they take over...it's a losing battle and you do not want toxic stuff even near flowers, I mean even Neem and crap like that makes buds taste nasty..sorry to hear than, but summertime is rough with no a/c, and mites..they reproduce faster than a bunny rabbit orgy man..I'd scrap it, completely sterilize the grow area, make it cooler in there and/or find a better grow area, just my experience...sorry to hear that.

Did you get mites from contaminated clones? Usually it happens from outdoor cuts brought inside or already infected clones from someone else..

MickTheBrag

keep the plants in the mid "seventies degrees" and keep the air circulating.
they should pull through and you can finnish the grow and know better the next time.

post some pics too make sure. peace :joint:

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Attic grows during the summer months aren't very successful if you can't control the heat rise.
Lets see...you've got mites, all the fan leaves are dead, and the temps are running above 100f... guessing you've also got a black or dark colored roof on that house too arrrgh !

pfeww, I must agree with Moldy Dreds...Chalk it up as a learning experience and restart a new sterile mite free grow space in an air conditioned or cooler space.

Sorry about your luck. :(

theHIGHlander

european ganja growers
Veteran
growing in the attic is a mission alone,,fighting the cold in the winter and fighting the heat in the summer its not easy.
put a fan under the light so it blows the heat up and away from the plants you have to get some cold air in there some how ,,,sucking air from another room, cool tube for the light, air con ect ect ...get ya battle plan sorted and get ready for ya next grow (shit happens bro we all make mistakes,)...

just grow your ladys out, youve brung them this far so you might aswell finish them...

keep it green
highlander

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
May I suggest an oversized (boxed) exhaust fan and a thermostat fan controller for the next run...

What I did was.... bought some big red cfls (250 watts).. the temps are fine, but we'll see if I turn out any bud with them... switching back to HPS up there in September

media_1849_9526d7.gif

Guys, thank you for the responses. Yeah when I started this in the attic it was fine the weather outside was nice. And the increase in heat had the mites going crazy. Really all my probs have stemmed from mites. Bringing those into my grow space has got to be the biggest fucking mistake I could have made (bought from a clone vendor). Part of the burn issue and why it was worse I sprayed some organic spray on the plants the morning of the heatwave. I also was in such a hurry to kill these bastards that I rushed the spray which probably should have been done at cooler times. So i sprayed and then really hot with fan blowing hot air to boot. But an update to the issue is this plant just wants to live, since it cooled off i see new growth and the GDP smells so good. So i bought a portable AC and will spend a little more $$$ to control my environment (I thought growing your own saved you money).

So more lessons learned:
Never bring mites into your space
think ahead weather wise
don't spray something on all plants at once when you don't know how they will react
And read all the great advice on ICmag.

My real question is will they finish with no fan leaves? Most fan leaves are gone to 75% damaged. And the mites are wiped out as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts