What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Soil Recipe

Elite

I start off with straight Pro-Mix Premier BX until the roots are well established in a soda bottle.

Then I transplant into a 2 gal. pot with the following mix:

1 cu. ft Pro-Mix BX
3/4 cu. ft Organic Soil
1/4 cu. Organic Humus and Manure
1/2 cup Bonemeal (4-12-0)
1/2 cup Bloodmeal (12-0-0)
30 cups of perlite (20%)
Sul-Po-Mag (0-0-22) Half of what directions call for

Sorry No Pics, Not enough posts

:cool:Elite

Elite

Oh and on a larger scale...

4 cu. ft Pro-Mix BX
3 cu. ft Organic Soil
1 cu. Organic Humus and Manure
2 cup Bonemeal (4-12-0)
2 cup Bloodmeal (12-0-0)
20% perlite
Sul-Po-Mag (0-0-22) Half of what directions call for

Makes approx. 45 gallons

maryjohn

Veteran
Burn, I believe you are incorrect. Bone meal has so much available calcium it can be used as a supplement to prevent osteoperosis. It is, after all, made of bone.

Read all about it

from the link:
The high calcium content make it a good fruit, herbaceous perennial and shrub fertilizer for non-ericacious plants. Calcium cements cell walls together and is lost during leaf fall and die back. Failure of new growing shoots, blossom end rot and weak stems are signs of calcium deficiency common in fruits.

maryjohn

Veteran
emmy, you should do a search. there are lots of threads on this topic, explaining the inert components of a soil or soilless mix.

Elite

why do you need promix and organic soil? the latter seems unnecessary.

Check the make up of Pro-Mix Premier BX it has inorganic properties. Plus Organic Soil is cheap as hell. Where Pro-mix BX isn't "Cheap as Dirt":wink:

Thanks Maryjohn,
I didn't get a chance to respond to the calcium comment. Well Said!!

Elite

Anyway, When mixed properly I get a nice dry neut. vegging mix.

NPK's are approx 17/12/12 with tons of micro-nutrients.

Works great for me, For what its worth, I recommend it!!