What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lowest temps to get roots on clones?

slowandeasy

Veteran
What is the lowest temp you have got roots to form on your clones? Having a hard time keeping temps up in bubble cloner, right now it is 65 deg and it has been 4 days. Is that too long at that temp or if they get warmer will they take off still?

Mr. Stinky

get the temp up. they may make roots at lower temps like that, but its way harder, and may well be strain dependent. (most indica type plants may not root at all) if the temps come up, they will take to making roots. if they stay down, you might have to bubble for weeks

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I started at 65º and killed everything. 75º is minimum for me. I dropped a small aquarium heater into the res.

.....D'oh! Gotta learn to type faster ..... :badday:

slowandeasy

Veteran
Gonna get them up tomorrow, it has been 4 days. If the temp gets up do you think they will still root? Thought the lights would warm up the res more than it does. They still look really nice, little brown on the cut line but the tops look the same as whan cut. Right now they are under 30 watt cfl, 6500k. Do you think adding a 23 watt cfl it would be better to have higher temps and more light or less light with lower temps? Thanks!

wastekan

Sure thing if you get the temp up you will have a much better chance to root the clones. Not sure another 23 watt cfl is going to raise the temperature enough to make a difference, but any will help. Time to get an aquarium heater and set it to 75.

slowandeasy

Veteran
res is only one gallon, heater is pretty big. They have one that is small and says it stays 78-80, but does not have an ajustment. The adjustable ones will fit, barely and would be close to stems because it is a small res. Might have to get a new res. Anyone have luck below 70?

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
Careful with heat pads, like sore muscles heat pads because they can get too hot - My res for the cheapo aero cloner is about 1 gallon also, I find a little 25 watt submersible aquarium heater workd like aa champ - mine usually runs about 77 deg F for rooting cuts.

I have been known to unplug the heaters a couple times a week and let the temps drift down - usually to high 60's, but I always plug them back in.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
As RockyMountainHi said, careful with the heat.

Experience tells me high temps are more detrimental to rooting clones than low temps.

In difference to what some growers think, roots do not at all appreciate high temps. A cool root environment is important, and the lower the temps the higher the oxygen content in the root zone.

Which is why you can grow a plant with temps close to 40º/105F right under the lights - and the top growth still stays lush - as long as the root zone is kept way cooler.

It's been a while since I stopped messing with bubblers, but when I clone, somewhere between 22º/72F and 24º/75F is the ideal temp.

Temps above 24º/75 will wither the clones, while temps below 22º/72F will simply keep them in stasis. It is therefore preferable to go a little lower than higher, IMO.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Rosy,
Yeah lower is better, but what is too low? Prolly get up to 68-70 now that some heat has been added...not sure if they will get to 72 yet. They have been at 65 ish for about 5 days. Still look good, and honestly as long as they root within a few weeks it will be no problem...just wanna make sure they root. Has it been too low for too long? Also are you guys leaving a gap or submerging the stems in your bubblers? Thanks!!

temps at 75 degrees, usually make roots quickest. To prevent stem rot etc, add a splash of hydro guard or similar product (beneficial bacteria). Even if i leave them there at 75 deg for 3-4 weeks roots are white as can be.

slowandeasy

Veteran
After closer look they are not bumps. Got the water temps up to about 75-77 now, so hopefully they will root now! Hopefully spending 5 days at lower temps did not hurt the chances.

Arlen

What I do, and it has always worked, I have a homemade aerocloner / vegger. I have the pump inside the res, but I do have a chiller. I set the chiller temp to 84 degrees until they just start to show roots then drop the temp to 68. My last batch showed roots at 5 days !!

Latest posts

Latest posts