What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for control freaks

who me

I am working on a whole room controller/monitor/data logger.Just looking for some input to see what everyone here would control if the sky was the limit.
The things that I've come up with so far are;
Light timer x 2 (mom room and flower room)
Co2 controller, PH controller, TDS/EC controller, flow sensor, Door switch, Chiller controller, dehumidifier controller, air temp Controller, Solenoid to dump nutes for easy changes, Reservoir level control, Flood detection, Note pad to keep notes as you go, Time lapse photo(Mabee once a day) to track growth, Resetable calander to keep track of days in flower cycle.
That is all i have thought of. Please dont be shy with your suggestions as to what to control.
Oh and all data would be logged /graphed

THX
Who me

kaljukajakas

Sensors that track the height of the canopy so light height will be adjusted automatically.

If sky's the limit then I'd also want nitrate, phosphate, potassium, calcium and magnesium sensors and automation for adjusting the concentration of each. Not just keep pH and TDS at a preset level but analyze the uptake of individual nutrients real-time and then cycle pH and various nutrient concentrations accordingly. That'd be sweet...

Triumphrat

OK those are all good idea's .......any one else?

I'v been toying with the idea of doing a project like this myself. I have used the arduino (http://www.arduino.cc/) for little automation projects and I think it might be suitable for this cause. I have done loads of research my main goals are

Temp Logging (DIY thermistor in silicone within copper tube)

EC Logging (still working on this)

PH Control (peristaltic pumps)

Relay'd outlets for lights / fans

My biggest concerns were the reliability of continuous use of PH probes, seems that even the best of them are questionable and require frequent calibration (not a deal breaker but something worth knowing going in)

there was a thread a while back with someone working on a very similar project but it seems to have dried up

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=44334&highlight=microcontroller

He got as far as UI mock ups for the software and had a PCB built but then he dropped off....

Would you consider doing this all open source? let me know maybe we could join efforts... Oh it might be worth taking a look at these aquarium systems as well, they have built in scripting languages and allow for simple programming and depending on how much you want to spend they also have built in webservers for browser based control.

http://www.neptunesys.com/~clp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=40

strydr

my company uses a small hardware device called a superRMS for remote monitoring. It runs on Linux, and is completely programable (not be me, as I am not a programmer). I've always said it would make a great monitor for a grow. Not so sure about using it as a controller, but it does support 42+ relays, temp. probes, voltage, and remote monitoring. We use a software package called Nagios to ping these remote sevices- if they stop replying, notice is emailed to support staff (me).
Relays could turn fans on/off, trigger lights, A/C, and email you if there was a problem. It can run on 12v, so you could have it battery-backed, for notice of power failure (your modem would have to be battery-backed too) The options are endless, just need someone who can program.

http://www.remotemonitoringsystems.ca/

Mc__Nugget

i too have considered attempting this, far too little knowledge of code/electrical engineering to pull it off though.

The only thing i would add is multiple tabs to keep track of different rooms, and the ability to access all control/info/video feeds from an encrypted web applet.

clide

there is a microcontroller out there called propeller, i think its made by the altmega people.

but this computer that strydyr posted looks really good!

i think i might actually purchase one of these!

they are however quite pricey, 695 for the 2nd model, 395 for the original, and 275 for the relay board to get the 43 additional relays.

it seems they are just as expensive as any other monitor, but they are pretty amazing for what they cost.

after looking at the comparison page, i think that i would only buy the more expensive model, but it would be a great way to monitor a grow from afar.

still too rich for my blood.

Y

yamaha_1fan

Water monitoring.

In E&F table, float sensors in table so you know table is getting flooded when it should. In other apps, some setup would have to be configured so you knew your plants were getting watered and there was not a leak, pump failure etc.

who me

good idea..... I will have float sensors to change nute's so recording it for E&F tables would be easy enough.I am an aero guy so i am monitoring pump amperage and psi for diagnostics

Latest posts

Latest posts