What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HELP! New HPS broken?

Cypher

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this. I bought a new 150w HPS kit and started using it maybe 2 weeks ago. The light colour has since then totally changed from orange-yellow to very light yellow. When the light is turned on it looks normal for maybe 30 seconds and then turns so light it's almost the same as the 2700K CFLs :badday: The bulb is supposed to be for flowering phase. It's a 150w Osram Vialox Nav-T Super (Son-T Plus), 2000K. AKA the main light source for 4 poor student's plants...:violin:

Just need to know if it means that it's not putting out as much light as it's supposed to. Or maybe it's normal! Thanks...

420oclock

Do you have a back-up bulb that you can swap out? If not, you should get one. Nothing is worse than blowing a bulb during a grow and not having a back up.

waveguide

Veteran
you're saying the intensity is good, it's the spectrum that's off? at 2k you'd expect very reds/yellows. supplement with some blue spiral CFLs?

i don't know the bulb, i had a larger HPS that didn't fire up properly if i had much else running on the circuit.. i'd have to turn other things off, then start it. with 150w i doubt that would be the issue though.

Cypher

I'm not sure about the intensity, it doesn't look noticeably dimmer.... at least it does get as heated up as before if that counts for anything.

Gaahhhh I don't have a backup...:puppydoge I have to order it from abroad
:fsu:

I put 70w worth of CFLs in there. Taking the fans and stuff off didn't do anything... This sucks....

Thanks for the help guys. :kitty:

Rudedewd

I think it's normal for the light color to change when breaking in a new bulb but why don't you email the manufacturer and ask them? If it isn't normal they could hook you up with a new bulb and if it is then it will help give you peace of mind.

420oclock

^ or take a pic. Plants look awful under hps lighting. I've never used a 150 watter, but look at some hps pics and you will see what I mean. My current grow, some KC Brains Brains Damage under 600 watts HPS:

Cypher

Does look nice and yellow... I've had just about everything breaking on me on this first grow (LOL timer the latest :mad: ) so I guess I'm paranoid.
I think it's normal for the light color to change when breaking in a new bulb
Oh that's probably it then... ha when I searched color change I just found a thread where someone mentioned old bulbs going white.

Oh yeah appreciate the help

Hydro-Soil

Veteran

Does look nice and yellow... I've had just about everything breaking on me on this first grow (LOL timer the latest :mad: ) so I guess I'm paranoid.
Oh that's probably it then... ha when I searched color change I just found a thread where someone mentioned old bulbs going white.

Oh yeah appreciate the help

The bulbs do go through a color change but yes, it should be significantly red/orange/yellow. Not yellow to white. Sounds like you got a bad bulb there. :(

Definitely order a few of them. You'll find that you have a better yield if you change them every flowering period anyway.
Yes.... I said change your 150w HPS bulbs EVERY flowering period.

You'll notice a distinct difference in yield if you grow in a cabinet with 2 of them side by side, one new, one just 2 months old.

They're $6 each when you buy a case of them. Only $20 for the amount of smoke you grow with it so it's definitely worth it.

Cypher

The bulbs do go through a color change but yes, it should be significantly red/orange/yellow. Not yellow to white. Sounds like you got a bad bulb there. :(

Definitely order a few of them. You'll find that you have a better yield if you change them every flowering period anyway.

You'll notice a distinct difference in yield if you grow in a cabinet with 2 of them side by side, one new, one just 2 months old.

They're $6 each when you buy a case of them. Only $20 for the amount of smoke you grow with it so it's definitely worth it.

Hmmm. I'll definately order a couple and test another bulb, can't hurt in any case... ahh but where are they that cheap? :yoinks: I'm in Scandinavia, been ordering from Germany at about 30 euros a piece!!

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hmmm. I'll definately order a couple and test another bulb, can't hurt in any case... ahh but where are they that cheap? :yoinks: I'm in Scandinavia, been ordering from Germany at about 30 euros a piece!!

Don't know if it will help but......
Check out page 47

It's a Scandinavian electrical supply company. You MIGHT be able to purchase directly from them.... If not, I'm sure they might have someone there who would know. :)

30 Euros! Wow..... that's a lot.

If you lived in the states or close by you could order from 1000bulbs.com. They're $6.15 each if you buy 12 at a time.

You SHOULD be able to find the same deal in your country as well. You're actually physically closer to the mfg plants for these bulbs than I am. :)

smokeymacpot

Veteran

im not sure of your advice.
it sounds to me like his bulb is fine, starting white, then going to a slight yellow colour, which takes 30seconds..... then gets brighter after another min or 2.

and one grow per hps bulb ? they are good enough for 5 grows at least..

Cypher

Heh getting a bit confused here :D I checked out the site and found the bulb, I'll have to look into it when I have money. Looks like a different type than my current one... :chin:

I got more CFLs in there so it's good either way for the moment.:D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
im not sure of your advice.
it sounds to me like his bulb is fine, starting white, then going to a slight yellow colour, which takes 30seconds..... then gets brighter after another min or 2.

and one grow per hps bulb ? they are good enough for 5 grows at least..

He stated it turned pure white after several hours of running. Not the normal white and then yellow/orange. I've used the bulbs, I know what he's looking at.

As for changing bulbs every harvest, have you ever used a twin 150HPS grow box, (side by side covering a 22x44 Scrog) with one fresh bulb and one that had been used for a single harvest? For a measly $6 it's worth the extra weight in the yield any day.

If you're getting bent over for $30EU though, I'd run it at least 2, maybe 3 harvests.

Cypher
Glad you have enough CFL's for now. Easy enough when you're shooting for 150Ws ;)
I seriously hope those lights work for you. They're the same type that we pick up from 1000bulbs.com in the states. I wish you luck!

smokeymacpot

Veteran
He stated it turned pure white after several hours of running. Not the normal white and then yellow/orange. I've used the bulbs, I know what he's looking at.

As for changing bulbs every harvest, have you ever used a twin 150HPS grow box, (side by side covering a 22x44 Scrog) with one fresh bulb and one that had been used for a single harvest? For a measly $6 it's worth the extra weight in the yield any day.

If you're getting bent over for $30EU though, I'd run it at least 2, maybe 3 harvests.

Cypher
Glad you have enough CFL's for now. Easy enough when you're shooting for 150Ws ;)
I seriously hope those lights work for you. They're the same type that we pick up from 1000bulbs.com in the states. I wish you luck!

ive used bulbs until their cycling, even upto that point they were still doing well. you recomended changing the bulb after 1000-1500hours, that is wrong and very wasteful. to say you can see the difference between a 1000hr bulb and a new one is poppycock! a 16000 lumen 150hps is going to be at 15200 lumens after 1 year of 12/12.

also a hps bulb does look white at full power, thats if you can stand looking at it.. but the light given off is slightly yellow. this is what the guy is seeing and its NORMAL.

Cypher

:chin:

Hmm well the light it gives off is light yellow, the closet lights up my bedroom at night so I noticed the shift from orange to this. Not sure how it's supposed to look but it sure doesn't look as suspicious as at first so if it's normal I'm thrilled hehe. I didn't know the new bulbs can change colour but like Rudedewd said that's probably it.

also a hps bulb does look white at full power, thats if you can stand looking at it.. but the light given off is slightly yellow. this is what the guy is seeing and its NORMAL.
That's about it I think.

Thanks for the luck, I think I need it :D

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
relax, the bulb is fine.
besides, unless your superhuman, you cant see all the spectrum that the hps produce.
not w/ your god given eyes at least.
it takes about 15-20 mins for a bulb to hit its peak brightness once she is fired.

whatever spectrum or color temp the bulbs are built for, will stay there.
the bulb wont drift from one end of the spectrum to the other.
doesnt work like that.