What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana testicular cancer link

love?

Marijuana testicular cancer link

Frequent or long-term marijuana use may raise a man's risk of testicular cancer, American research suggests.

The study of 369 men, published in the journal Cancer, found being a regular marijuana user doubled the risk compared to those who never smoked it.

The results suggest that it may be linked to the most aggressive form of the cancer.

A spokesman for Cancer Research UK said that no previous studies had found a link between marijuana and the disease.

Testicular cancer is one of the most common cancers in younger men, with approximately 2,000 new cases each year in the UK.

Incidence in Europe and North America is far higher than in some other parts of the world, and has been rising steadily for no apparent reason.

Known risk factors for the cancer include previous injuries to the testicles, a family history of the disease, or suffering from undescended testicles as a young child.

The study from scientists at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle is the first to look specifically at marijuana use in relation to the disease.

They studied 369 men aged 18 to 44, who had been diagnosed with testicular cancer, and quizzed them about marijuana use.

Their replies were compared to those from almost 1,000 apparently healthy control subjects.

Even after adjusting the figures to take account of the other known risk factors, marijuana use remained a clear risk factor for testicular cancer.

Just being a marijuana smoker seemed to carry a 70% extra risk, while those who smoked it regularly, or had smoked from an early age, had twice the risk compared to those who had never smoked it.

A connection was made to nonseminoma, a fast-growing form of testicular cancer which accounts for approximately 40% of all cases, and tends to strike younger.

Puberty chance

Dr Janet Daling, one of the authors, said that puberty might be a "window of opportunity" during which boys were more vulnerable to environmental factors such as the chemicals in marijuana.

"This is consistent with the study's findings that the elevated risk of nonseminoma-type testicular cancer in particular was associated with marijuana use prior to 18," she said.

Another research, Dr Stephen Schwartz, said: "What young men should know is first, we know very little about the long-term health consequences of marijuana smoking, especially heavy marijuana smoking, and second, our study provides some evidence that testicular cancer could be one adverse consequence."

The next step, he said, would be to look more closely at cells in the testicles to see if any of them had receptors set up to respond to cannabis chemicals.

Henry Scowcroft, from Cancer Research UK, said: "As the researchers themselves point out, this is the first inkling that there is any association between chronic marijuana use and testicular cancer.

"But the researchers only interviewed a relatively small number of men.

"So before we can reach any firm conclusions about whether this is a cause-and-effect relationship, rather than a statistical blip, the result needs to be replicated in a much larger study."

D

DogBoy

Quickest way to scare a man is to threaten his ability to sire his future. Even if it is true, their campaign of lies has proved their research unreliable so until my doc says something i'm gonna chuff away.

beek

I would search elsewhere for higher rates of testicular cancer in Europe and North America...maybe the use of pesticides ? I see no one really cares when pesticides are sprayed all over the place...

AndreNicky

They only studied 365 men! thats nothing, seems to me like there just asking people if they smoke weed when they already have cancer. Beek also brings up a good point, how many of these people were exposed to prescription drugs? Fast food? Chemicals?

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last line says it all really. More sensationalist journalism. Load of bollocks... :biglaugh:

Charg5152

I remember "back in the day" in my high school health class they actually taught us as fact that marijuana use would cause a man's penis to shrink and his breasts to grow. My lesbian physical education teacher has my stoner friends lookin down at their chests and breaking out the tape measure for their manhood. Sure enough, none of us had any isssues 15 yrs later. I don't know about all of you, but I have feeling, that just like me you haven't grown any titties over the years and your schlong has not shrunk an inch. Like someone mentioned above, this is the quickest and most sure fire way to scare men, and threaten their crotch. Where does some of this propaganda come from?

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran

A spokesman for Cancer Research UK said that no previous studies had found a link between marijuana and the disease.

Testicular cancer is one of the most common cancers in younger men, with approximately 2,000 new cases each year in the UK.

The next step, he said, would be to look more closely at cells in the testicles to see if any of them had receptors set up to respond to cannabis chemicals.

Yeah mine have a mind of their own, sometimes they rob me of my high & my balls enjoy the buzz. They're thinking of taking a nap right now, damn underachievers.

steppinRazor

cant stop wont stop
Veteran
dude the weirdest shit happened to me yesterday.

i grew a third ball!!!
i shit you not a third motherfuckin ball!!!!

but then i sobered up and realised it was a chicken mcnugget.
go figure.

mr noodles

this is bullshit . the testicular cancer is linked to all the pharmaceutical reject in the public water . no filtration block oestrogen, anti depressor and a millions of harmful chemical and hormone found in a single glass of a majority public water system . people eliminate all the medication via urine and its rejected in river/water because their no way to remove it at a reasonable cost $$$$

study show fish that had sex reversal caused by high level of oestrogen , this lead to the end of the reproductive cycle for many species . all hormonal product are aromatized/assimilated by the human body . the testicles are very sensitive to any chemicals/hormonal change . drinking public water in some place have the same side effect as a long term steroid use . testicle are smaller and sperm count is lower than any person who don't drink this shit soup .

now they want to blame marijuana ?

maybe commercial shit full of lethal pesticides and chem ferts , this might be way more harmful than mj himself but we got to admit that a lots of folks ruins their health with very bad weed .uk ???? soapbar smokers ?

Storm Crow

Veteran
Well, there was this other study....

Well, there was this other study....

The study linked below suggests that low doses of cannabis may speed the growth of certain cancers, while a higher dosage kills those same cancer cells. Could their testicular cancer study have been full of casual, low level users? Also I don't think the testicular cancer study allowed for variables that could skew the results! It would be interesting to give the testicular cancer victims a high dosage of cannabis over an extended time and see what happens!

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/64/6/1943 Cannabinoids Induce Cancer Cell Proliferation via Tumor Necrosis Factor {alpha}-Converting Enzyme (TACE/ADAM17)-Mediated Transactivation of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor

And for those who don't speak "Sci" here's my translation of it to English! Just from the title, you can tell this is a "toughie" to read!

"We find that low doses of THC (like when we give low dosage THC pills) may speed the growth of some cancers, even though higher doses, like you get with smoking, has been shown to kill cancers. Cannabis-based drugs are now being used in several trial studies. Grand and Gandi found one case where a heavy pot smoker had trouble with his pancreas and blamed it on the pot. Smoking THC works better than other methods. Cannabis pills and suppositories give you anywhere between 1/8 to 3/8 as much THC in your system as smoking- which isn't enough and might cause the cancers to grow. But smoking DOES deliver enough! The level of dosage is important- we found taking deep hits and holding it, worked. We are worried that using Big Pharma's low dose THC pills/suppositories might cause some cancers to grow faster during studies."

Well kids, the obvious answer is not to take the doc's expensive, but wimpy, THC pills (and suppositories :noway: ), but toke good pot often so your THC levels stay up over 300 nM! :joint: This study also gives more credence to Rick Simpson's "Hemp oil" with its massive dose of cannabinoids to fight cancers.

Granny :joint:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Simple solution: I just cut my balls off. Now I've got no issues....someone pass me the bong please...ROFL!

Kinderfeld

I say bs. In 370 men 70% or more probably smoke MJ...also when they say quizzing...are they just asking people who have testicular cancer if they have smoked pot? How about asking all the people without the cancer if they smoke pot? I guess the article already stated it but testing or 'quizzing' 370 men doesn't prove shit on any level. They need more people and to study the actual science of it such as finding receptors...but asking people is retarded, doesn't prove a thing.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
man i am still waiting for my breasts to grow out
and i heard that over 15 years ago
now i find out my balls are in danger too !!!!
good thing i already had all my kids

:smoweed:

xOOx

me too haha,
i feel tingles goin on there,
oh man its getting sore now..
bastards.

that is a sillly study tho. just asking if they smoked, i'm sure if you walk down the street and do an anonymous survey where everyone is truely honest..you'd find lots smoke or occasionally smoke.. and they are fat, skinny, cancer, the flu, gerd, etc. i bet they eat mcdonalds or wendys too.

need more proof then that brilliant link..

xoox

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Even after adjusting the figures to take account of the other known risk factors, marijuana use remained a clear risk factor for testicular cancer.

This is so telling.... Just think about how much more likely the average pot smoker is to also be a tobacco user, or a drinker. Why? Because people willing to break the law tend to live a bit more on the edge. Not everyone, but a statistically significant portion. If it were made legal this would no longer be true of course.

The study linked below suggests that low doses of cannabis may speed the growth of certain cancers, while a higher dosage kills those same cancer cells. Could their testicular cancer study have been full of casual, low level users? Also I don't think the testicular cancer study allowed for variables that could skew the results! It would be interesting to give the testicular cancer victims a high dosage of cannabis over an extended time and see what happens!

I think this is a great point. Smoke IS filled with carcinogens, and other bad things. Pot does counteract those things, but if you're taking in smoke and not enough drug to counteract it's ill effects, then obviously your cancer risk would go up. This one seems pretty straightforward to me. Assuming these researchers are honest at all anyway....

tintala

but studies also suggest cannabis cures brain cancer and other forms of cancer. Hmm some every strange contraindictions there.

S

ShoeboxSherman

If I believed it for a minute, I'd like to know who funded the study. I'd like to read the article. I'd like to see the p values (or other test statistics).

ho hum scratch 'em if you got 'em

Latest posts

Latest posts