What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mason Jars

xOOx

those of you using ball mason jars:
i have some questions...

i know they are sold in a case of 12..and that includes jars, bands and lids...

lids i guess are the regular ring shaped metal screw down part.

now.. bands.. i'm guessing the piece that would be the top of the mason jar? like the part that pops up once a seal is broken?

what i don't quite understand is.. are those bands single use only for air tight seals??

if you are burping your curing buds in ball jars, do you replace the band each time, or each time you dip into your cured stash? ..or is it still a pretty good seal opening and closing it multiple times..?

i am completely aware of other types of jars that have clamp down lids with rubber gasket seals..i know they come in glass, ceramic, and stainless steal etc, but i'm really focusing on the glass old school ball mason jars..i've had some bad experiences with the clamp down ones..and i know after a year or so most times the rubber seal fails..

any info appreciated..

edit: yeah maybe i reverse which are lids and bands, i'm not sure which is which. lid top saucer shaped thing?,.. bands reusable? lid reusable? reverse that.. info please.

xoox

R

razz

no, the bands are the screw part things and the lids are the flat piece. it's all reuseable, make sure you wash thouroughly before use.

xOOx

ok, got it. airtight only the first screw down?

..or use a brand new "lid" for long term storage?

from what i read about using them for canning.. the fruit or whatever is heated inside the jar and then its screwed on, and as it cools down a vaccum seals the jar air tight..like how when u open up the top of a new jar of something store bought it pops up.. but rescrewing it on is not a 100% airtight seal again..

so i'm not so sure you can get an airtight seal with these? but they seem to be working for people.. so i still have questions..

xoox

I use 1.5 litre canning jars from canadian tire. Make sure the buds are dry when you put them in the jars, I burp them once every day or two for the first week, maybe two and after that I leave the lid on until I am ready to take the buds out for smoking. If you know somebody who works in a restaurant ask them to check for pickle/olive jars, I used to get 1 gallon jars from a place in town but they changed suppliers and no longer get glass jars. You don't need to heat seal the jars as screwing the lids on tight provides a good enough seal to prevent air exchange and heat = not a good idea for buds. Hope that helps, Later

L

LolaGal

Yup above post is correct. All parts of Mason jars are reusable in canning food except for the lid, which is replaced after use in canning. So you have jar, screw on band, and the lid.

The antique blue jars are best for storing weed, due to light! Get those at an antique store!

But for our purposes, it's all good. Make sure ya get some some WIDE Mouth Jars! That is what you want, so you can get your whole hand in there.

In desperate times I've gone so far as to re-use glass jars from condiments. Mostly jam and preserves though. I learned the hard way NOT to use spaghetti sauce jars LOl. Unless you want you weed smelling like spaghetti sauce.(hrmmm could be a new strain perhaps.)

:laughing:

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Love my Mason Jars. Been using the same ones for several years and have never replaced the lids. They still seal well and I foresee no problems with another year or so of use. As long as the rubber seal is intact you should be fine.

Perfect for curing and long term storage:

picture.php

These work well too. Got em off EBay for 2 bucks each

picture.php

L

LolaGal

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression!

Yes definitely lids are re-usable....UNTIL you actually CAN something with hot water like Grandma did to seal food inside....Once you heat that rubber seal, gotta get a new lid for canning food!

But for Our Purposes, It's all good. Throw bud in jar and put lid on!

I love the FoodSavers for food. Trichomes will be stuck to the plastic and no way to get them off the plastic. Plus, they will crush bud. FoodSavers are great for burying stash, but Mason Jars are the way to go for curing bud.

L

LolaGal

Pirate! Quit showing off all that pirate booty! I'm jealous now! :D

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Hope I didn't give the wrong impression!

Yes definitely lids are re-usable....UNTIL you actually CAN something with hot water like Grandma did to seal food inside....Once you heat that rubber seal, gotta get a new lid for canning food!

But for Our Purposes, It's all good. Throw bud in jar and put lid on!

I love the FoodSavers for food. Trichomes will be stuck to the plastic and no way to get them off the plastic. Plus, they will crush bud. FoodSavers are great for burying stash, but Mason Jars are the way to go for curing bud.

I use JARS..with the foodsaver lid thing ,it lets you create a vacuum in the JAR.
You can use the foodsaver machine to pull the vacuum (works well), but I have an industrial pump that works even better.

L

LolaGal

I use JARS..with the foodsaver lid thing ,it lets you create a vacuum in the JAR.
You can use the foodsaver machine to pull the vacuum (works well), but I have an industrial pump that works even better.

Oh, you got one of those Fancy FoodSaver thingys! Now I'm jealous of you. I bet that works Great! I got the $19.99 FoodSaver on sale. Just bags for me. I guess I could put a Mason Jar inside a bag though! Great idea Sunnydog!

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I like to put the big cola nugs on the bottom and the smaller popcorn buds on top of each jar...then work my way, down...different jar each day...:kos:

One of those jars contain seeded bud. I leave the seeds in the buds during curing. I don't remove the seeds until I roll a joint.

Attachments

• jars 002.JPG
    jars 002.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 11
had same green tinted mason jar for over 7years, never replaced the lid. as long as i dont fuck it up it still makes a decent seal. couple times i got hella resin and stuff on a different jars lid and it killed the seal so keep it clean and i think itll last forever

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Oh, you got one of those Fancy FoodSaver thingys! Now I'm jealous of you. I bet that works Great! I got the $19.99 FoodSaver on sale. Just bags for me. I guess I could put a Mason Jar inside a bag though! Great idea Sunnydog!

I use the foodsaver lid thing,(which allows you to use normal canning lids) with an industrial (700$) vacuum pump, although the foodsaver unit would work better than nothing.

xOOx

thanks peeps! i went with the walmart quart ball jars.. check out their site and read the reviews, its kinda funny.. 'yeah this is a great jar, with the wide mouth, etc. easy to reach in and grab a pickle, close it back in, go back in and grab another pickle" lol use your imagination. kinda lame you gotta buy 12, i got quite a few now, hmm maybe i will can some pickles.

but so far i'm liking them.. i used some stainless steel jars and ceramic in the past that had rubber clamp down lids, but sometimes you could still smell the herb when it was closed, so it was a bad seal. i never felt it was clamping down hard enuff. with these ball ones it seems its a tighter seal then the rubber clamp downs cause they can only go so much and then they are closed, these, you can really tighten the band to squeeze down on the lid, and its lined with some kinda parafin or somethin that squishes down to block air.. when i open the lids i can hear that pop 'wooshiee' rush sound like air going back in, and then stink comes flyin out. nice jars.

that vaccum sealer looks cool, i did look at it. but 180$ and part later.. not sure if i have enuff to merit that purchase, but for sure it has a ball jar attachment to suck the air out quickly rather then let it naturally just run out inside the jar. i think it takes probably a day or so before the air supply runs out naturally.

tnx all, i am still gonna try to freeze some just in case these jars fail and mold gets in.. the buds are realy dry, but i'm still worried about the mold.

xoox

alexisa

I have had a FoodSaver for more than two years. This particular attachment is used every day in my kitchen. It is a wonderful way to preserve foods from the ravages of spoilage. I vacuum seal all of my spices, brown sugar, coffee, candy, chips, strawberries, shredded cheeses, tea, etc., etc., etc. Using wide mouth jars that I have used for years in canning, I can seal just about anything that will fit into a jar that uses a wide mouth lid. In addition, this sealer can be used on the canisters, both small and large, to seal them as well.
A warning about using the lids, both the jar and the lids must be VERY clean to hold the seal. You should regularly check your sealed jars to make sure that they remain sealed. Also, there can be no chips or cracks anywhere on the jar...for more about it click below..

http://www.foodsaverblog.com/