What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cornflake's 2nd stab at a kikass sour bubble grow

cornflake

better'n coco pops any ol' day o da week
Veteran
IMPORTANT : these are BX1 1IX, these seeds are earlier testers and not the finished "DMT" version Steele is still working to perfection; so don't expect my plants to be as nasty as the DMT - but should give me something almost unique for an Australian Grower, and hopefully for you, a good show

picture.php

Thanks to heaps of experience gained from my last sour bubble grow, in awe of Zoo's impressive results with the Grindhouse Sour Bubble "DMT", and I'd love so much to grow a nice pheno/keeper of this amazing plant, because I used the last of my sour bubble trim and buddage to make some qwiso. And it was farking amazingly nice. That qwiso was the most beautiful smoke ever (the bud was ok but not strong enough, my pheno was one of the lesser ones). The qwiso made from her was just such a beautiful feeling, like being wrapped up and snuggled on a rainy winter night :kissass:

So, after I failed to pop most of my testers last time, Steele Savage sent me a replacement pack, so this time I carefully used the gf's nail-file (emery board) to scuff the shells and the crack on each seed. The idea with scuffing is to help the germination along.

Dropped 6 into h2o just 30 minutes ago. I want these to pop.

Last edited:
O

olddrifter66

CF....Not to dredge up any tramatic memories, but...on the failed seeds, did you get a bunch that kinda just melted? I know that sounds weird, but 8 of mine just kinda melted on the inside.

I soaked overnight until they fell (after filing the edges) then a couple kinda cracked so I moved them to the paper towel and zippy bag, nothing happened for 3 days and so I opened the paper towel and went to turn a few over and half the shell just slid off and the inside was mush. I germed as normal and under the same circs. so it wasn't extreme temps or nothing..IDK

cornflake

Veteran
CF....Not to dredge up any tramatic memories, but...on the failed seeds, did you get a bunch that kinda just melted? I know that sounds weird, but 8 of mine just kinda melted on the inside.

I soaked overnight until they fell (after filing the edges) then a couple kinda cracked so I moved them to the paper towel and zippy bag, nothing happened for 3 days and so I opened the paper towel and went to turn a few over and half the shell just slid off and the inside was mush. I germed as normal and under the same circs. so it wasn't extreme temps or nothing..IDK

Wow, that sounds terrible :yoinks:

No, mine just didn't pop last time. I didn't scuff until I got to 3rd day in towel and still nothing, so I started searching threads furiously, attempting to find a solution.

I actually razor bladed the crack in the shell then, and managed to get 2 sort-of seedlings going. Mind you I had to revive their hearts 5 times lol

No, what I did was actually removed the shell under a microscope and kept em in towel a couple of days, saw roots then put them into coco. I got 1x male and 1x female, the male got culled and the female was a sweet stanky furry lil' thing hehe

cornflake

Veteran
Thanks VH, hoping to get a nice keeper then we'll be good to go.

Last edited:

cornflake

Veteran
What he said...:yeahthatsign:

I love sourbubble. I grabbed a pack of sourbubble bx3 when bog was still around. Grew them out with no thought of making f2's 'cause I figured bog would always be around! doh!

Hey...cross them with the Alpha Diesel your growing out! That would be very nice.

Good luck, I'm watching for sure.

Oh yeah oldrifter66 and cornflake...are you guys germinating your seeds following the lunar schedule? If you aren't, try it. Lots of peeps swear by it. I have had germ problems in the past, but it has been much better since following the moon schedule.

OK, so how would one plant by the Lunar Calendar?

Man I plant when I'm watching where my other grows are at, so I can keep perpetual. That's my method.

What I need is a keeper Mother plant, then we'll be talkin'

G

guest3854

CornFlake, may you be blessed with a killer DMT pheno ....

Olddrifter , if tha beans came from GrindHouse, then we'll replace 'em. At tha moment we're workin' tha DMT line to be more stable; it'll be done before tha end of tha year, or we have some new stock shipping soon that we can put yer name on .... yer choice. It does sound like they were soaking in tha paper towels, I tend to go drier than wetter so keep that in mind when germing ....

Steele

O

olddrifter66

CornFlake, may you be blessed with a killer DMT pheno ....

Olddrifter , if tha beans came from GrindHouse, then we'll replace 'em. At tha moment we're workin' tha DMT line to be more stable; it'll be done before tha end of tha year, or we have some new stock shipping soon that we can put yer name on .... yer choice. It does sound like they were soaking in tha paper towels, I tend to go drier than wetter so keep that in mind when germing ....

Steele

Thanks Steele...I don,t know how to explain it...I use this method just as you describe it and usually no issues...these shells are hard it seems...trying to keep all that power contained....:canabis:
If I can get the rest to germ than I don't want to bother you with the hassels....I just want a few good ladies...

O

olddrifter66

Wow, that sounds terrible :yoinks:

No, mine just didn't pop last time. I didn't scuff until I got to 3rd day in towel and still nothing, so I started searching threads furiously, attempting to find a solution.

I actually razor bladed the crack in the shell then, and managed to get 2 sort-of seedlings going. Mind you I had to revive their hearts 5 times lol

No, what I did was actually removed the shell under a microscope and kept em in towel a couple of days, saw roots then put them into coco. I got 1x male and 1x female, the male got culled and the female was a sweet stanky furry lil' thing hehe

I will try again...I have 4 that are in towels now and 1 so far has cracked normally, the other 3 havent really done much, but I will not give up on them.

How is that furry pheno...she looks intense...how is her density?

OK, so how would one plant by the Lunar Calendar?

Man I plant when I'm watching where my other grows are at, so I can keep perpetual. That's my method.

What I need is a keeper Mother plant, then we'll be talkin'

I'll let CF do the talkin on this one as I had similar questions.....

cornflake

Veteran
I will try again...I have 4 that are in towels now and 1 so far has cracked normally, the other 3 havent really done much, but I will not give up on them.

How is that furry pheno...she looks intense...how is her density?

I understand that what happens when we soak the seeds in water is the micronutes in the h2o aids the seed's genetic need to open when environment approaches ideal (moisture/light/temps), somehow working on a molecular level there is a reaction going on between the molecules (atoms??) of the seed contacting those in the h2o, which means tap water is more ideal than RO water for soaking.

This is material I've read on this forum and is certainly open for better explanation, as I tend to remember general ideas not scientific specifics.

I think the sour bubble seed shell is quite thick and by scraping the shell/crack we should be helping it along. i've heard people use a jar lined with sandpaper and throw their seeds in there, give it a shake and call that scuffing; or using a nail-file (I actually lightly buffed the whole of the shell, with my understanding of how the water helps); or actually using a blade and slitting the crack very very carefully.

I don't recommend this last method unless it's last option, as it seems more likely to me it might be easy to nick the unborn plant and infect it and cause it stress early on.

olddrifter one seed has popped, how about the others? Are they scuffed?

The 4 in towel - temps? dark? how wet is towel? what kind of water?

I find a nail file ideal, it's a tool, designed to fit our hands. I like it better than a piece of sandpaper anyway :yeahthats

O

olddrifter66

I understand that what happens when we soak the seeds in water is the micronutes in the h2o aids the seed's genetic need to open when environment approaches ideal (moisture/light/temps), somehow working on a molecular level there is a reaction going on between the molecules (atoms??) of the seed contacting those in the h2o, which means tap water is more ideal than RO water for soaking.

This is material I've read on this forum and is certainly open for better explanation, as I tend to remember general ideas not scientific specifics.

I think the sour bubble seed shell is quite thick and by scraping the shell/crack we should be helping it along. i've heard people use a jar lined with sandpaper and throw their seeds in there, give it a shake and call that scuffing; or using a nail-file (I actually lightly buffed the whole of the shell, with my understanding of how the water helps); or actually using a blade and slitting the crack very very carefully.

I don't recommend this last method unless it's last option, as it seems more likely to me it might be easy to nick the unborn plant and infect it and cause it stress early on.

olddrifter one seed has popped, how about the others? Are they scuffed?

The 4 in towel - temps? dark? how wet is towel? what kind of water?

I find a nail file ideal, it's a tool, designed to fit our hands. I like it better than a piece of sandpaper anyway :yeahthats

Not too sure of the temps, I use my DVR as it is not too warm, but warm enough to cause the moist towel to be warm to the touch enough to cause condensation in the zippy.

Towel double folded.

Moist, but not soaking...

tapwater usually.

I used a metal nail file and gave em a few light swipes along the seams until even with the rest of the shell.

G

guest3854

Olddrifter , while workin with our Afghans , they've exhibited a thick shell as well; after soaking fer 3 days and nada, I would slit tha end off, where the bean meets tha feed site. Then cutting into tha side portion to release tha embryo. Worked quite well .... Hope this helps .

Steele

cornflake

Veteran
Olddrifter , while workin with our Afghans , they've exhibited a thick shell as well; after soaking fer 3 days and nada, I would slit tha end off, where the bean meets tha feed site. Then cutting into tha side portion to release tha embryo. Worked quite well .... Hope this helps .

Steele

Hey brother. Thanks for the Sour Bubble, been needing to get my growcab running before i could pop em, was pretty scared how much room they'll take up but now looking at the size of the plants I can actually fit, I give the SB another run :respect:

Yep, the embryo, that's a word I was lookin for earlier, thas how I got my 1st 2 SB's goin, I put them in paper towel and they were still mad slow to start but persisitence pays off and...

Ummmm what do you do with your afghan embryos Steele? Into a seedling soil mix?

man I'd love to see a couple of pics if ever you got the time, to show what you do, cos it's a lil ummm scary when you got genetics in yer hands that you want so bad and like a nice macro tute would be sweet, especially as we hope there'll be peeps wanting the SB's hard shell afghani crosses your twisted and blessed mind is concocting. You know.

And it'd be sweet to have some good advice there with pics before the buyers get into shit not poppin'

If I get my seed shit sorted I'll try, but we'll have to see on that one.

Last edited:

cornflake

Veteran
4 from 6 popped overnight

4 from 6 popped overnight

Puttin em into towel, we'll see how they look in the mornin' :joint:

picture.php

G

guest3854

"Ummmm what do you do with your afghan embryos Steele? Into a seedling soil mix?

man I'd love to see a couple of pics if ever you got the time, to show what you do, cos it's a lil ummm scary when you got genetics in yer hands that you want so bad and like a nice macro tute would be sweet, especially as we hope there'll be peeps wanting the SB's hard shell afghani crosses your twisted and blessed mind is concocting. You know.

And it'd be sweet to have some good advice there with pics before the buyers get into shit not poppin'

If I get my seed shit sorted I'll try, but we'll have to see on that one."

CF , I plant my seedlings into a coco or pro-mix, just watch over watering.
We just got done poppin' a grip o' beans , but tha next round I'll make sure to git some pics and a full explanation of what I'm trying to convey (pressed fer time). Once they've soaked though , their ready to shave off tha "umbilical cord" and expose tha embyro. Some seeds are resiliant and you can just pinch easy, crackin 'em open, ready to go .... just don't crush 'em . I would recommend maybe practicing on some bagseed next time, if feeling not so confident. I've got so much stock here we can afford to experiment with germing and cracking techniques . I do like tha idea of a picture tutorial though , next time we germ beans I'll try to remember to do that ....

Be well folks ,
Steele

O

olddrifter66

Puttin em into towel, we'll see how they look in the mornin' :joint:

picture.php

Tease.....:noway:

Well, first..I agree on the tutorial. I am not used to beans going south like this and I dont want to kill the last ones I got. I want this SB so bad that I am ready to spit.

Second, two of the four in towel have been crushed in my attempt to help them along. I will take pics of the last two in towels after school.

After this, I have four beans left. Im scared to touch them now. Hmmmm

Sleepy

Veteran
tagging in for this one...

if i may ask (pardon my ignorance)...what is "DMT pheno"??

and what are the desired traits of said pheno??

thank you.

Latest posts

Latest posts