What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

18 gallon rubbermaid DWC don't hateme

Hello all
I decided to go ahead and make one of my extra 18 gallon rubbermaids into a 2 plant DWC grow, and I figured I would share it with ya'll. (Extra special thanks to Deft for giving me the idea for this as well as the motivation)

I cut holes for (2) 5 inch net pots (5.5 inches or something I think) in the lid of a (dark blue) 18 gallon rubbermaid container. Also purchased a GH dual diaphram pump to run the air (its a 4 outlet pump, which for right now Im just gonna use 2 outlets). I decided to go a little cheaper this time and use airstones instead of an air diffuser ( I picked up 2 10 inch long skinny ones for $2.00 apiece)
Im am going to use 2 W/W clones (I cloned them on december 11, 2008 and put them in an EZ cloner, so they have so super nice roots by now).

Anyways I immediately broke one of the airstones (And am currently trying to silicone it back to working order) so I am only running one airstone on the 4 outlet pump right now. But Im getting some serious bubble action.

Oh yeah...Just to let ya'll know I am using the lucas method (0-5-10) for veg (and bloom) with 650 ppm and 5.7ph (I know the ppms are a little high but I have been running these mature clones in the cloner with like 400 ppm for about a week)

Here are the pics as of 12/30/2008. So its been going a couple of days now.

So these pics are from 12/30/2008

Ill get some updates for ya'll soon

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Dude I feel you on the airstone, I have broken my share of the little 1" ones just pushing them into the tubing! They suck but are cheep!

I bet you'll do well with the rubbermaid, and to give credit where due (where I got the idea at least) watching freezerboy got me started with the 18 gal and we still have yet to see how it ends up! I'm sure it will be fine.

Worst comes to worst and you hate the 18 gal you can make a aero cloner!

Last edited:

SpoCannabis

Lookin good... you should do a side-by-side grow comparison with the same strain in both the 18gal and the 5gal indiv. buckets... I would be very interested to see the results of that...

Whats up.........

Sorry for the delay in posting a response (I was up late last night playing COD 5) but Im awake now. so.........

LilWayne: Hows it growing. I am currently running a White Widow strain. Im not sure of the genetics of it, it was given to me as a clone about 3 years ago. She is hardy as hell and a decent producer.

Deft: Thanks for stopping by, I'll be keeping an eye on your rubbergrow as well. Yeah Im not worried about it not working out, I have been having some good success with the 5 gallon buckets and Im already looking forward to having this larger res under the ladies (will be less topping off and add backs ya know) The only possible problem that I could see with it is when needing to move it to the bloom room, but thats not really an issue either cuz Ill just drain all the mix out and start over anyways. So Ill drop freezerboy some love for the idea as well.

Spo my Bro thanks for making it by: On the side by side deal I; I do have 2 other ladies that were started just before Christmas that are in 2 5 gallon buckets next to this one in Veg, so they are a little older but not by much. I guess since its MY thread I could go ahead and make this a side by side comparison grow (just for you my friend) Rep coming your way.....

More updates coming soon.

Thanks everyone for the support and love, right back at cha........

:joint: :joint: :joint: :joint: :joint:

SpoCannabis

hehateme19 said:
Spo my Bro thanks for making it by: On the side by side deal I; I do have 2 other ladies that were started just before Christmas that are in 2 5 gallon buckets next to this one in Veg, so they are a little older but not by much. I guess since its MY thread I could go ahead and make this a side by side comparison grow (just for you my friend) Rep coming your way.....

Hellllz yeeeaaah!! ur my hero bro! heh :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :joint: :joint: :joint: :jump: :jump: :jump:

So Im gonna add to this thread a little bit (for SpoCannabis) I have 2 plants I started in 5 gallon buckets on right before christmas so they are a little over a week or so. They are both in their own 5 gallon buckets using the lucas formula (just like the rubbermaid) so obviousley they are a little older than the ones in the rubbermaid but Im gonna try to do a side by side comparison.

So heres a couple of pictures of the other 2 ladies.

SpoCannabis

Excellent (creepy voice)... keep us posted on the age of both, I can't wait to see this grow-along... I'm so excited heheh!!! :jump: :jump:

Nice ladies man!! after viewing ur babies and the apparent success I'm going to definitely try a 5 gallon dwc.. good luck..pulling up a chair on this grow show..

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I hate everyone that grows in an 18 gal rubbermaid. Especially the blue ones .... oh, wait .... never mind.

What up Freezerboy: glad to see you stop by, I was checking out your threads and just to let you know I hate those chumps who grow in those blue rubbermaids as well. Seriousley though you have done some nice stuff bro. Again thanks for stopping by hope to get some input in the future.

What up O.G. yeah I started dwc a couple of months ago or so and it has been doing great for me its soooo easy and the growth is way better than soil for sure. Stay tuned and maybe we can learn so stuff together.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Your blue tub looks like it might be a little thicker than my grey one. Does it bulge out with the water a little?

aligee

Veteran
Lookin good there bro i miss dwc. All around great results definantly makes for sweet tasting erb no doubts. Might i ask how often do u change out the res.? Ive done weekly changeouts and none at all and worked great either way just curious how u do it. thanks.

KUSHEATER1

I never change out nutes but once at the 12/12 flip "to me" it's a waste of money but to each his or her own I say read the plant because if she is sick I will change her nutes but that's about it..

+I played in the dirt and got dirty... :jump:

Last edited:

hydroclops

You can pick you friends and you can pick your nos
Veteran
Nice work, Looks like a little forest you got going.

The rubber made and the buckets everything looking real heathy.

I love the rubbermade, I use a 2 gal one for my cloning,
and black buckets also,
HEY wait a min have you been peeking at my room? LOL.

Stya safe and high.
.........HYDRO.......

Hey Deft: I dont get hardly any bulge in the 18 gallon. Pretty sturdy.

Algiee, thanks for stopping by, I have been adding back nutes (using the lucas add back formula) once and then the next time the water is down again I go ahead and change it (this is the 5 gallon buckets Im talking about, I just set this up so havent had to change the water yet but plan on doing it the same way.) I assume that with these being in a much larger res (18ga vs 5 ga) I wont have to mess with it as much. But we shall see. As soon as I have to add back any nutes I will update the post.

Whats up Kush, those plants in the dirt look mighty nice. I have my last 3 ladies in dirt in 12/12 now. They should be done around the 24th so Ill post some pics of those somewhere around here. Thanks for the extra input bro.

Also one quick update. The 2 ladies in the rubbermaid were looking a little droopy (maybe I had the ppms to high to early?) So I took out some water and lowered the ppms to 500 last night and they seem to be doing better now. The are roots are getting intot he water pretty damn good and they are crispy white but I just wanted to make sure I didnt shock them too much. Hopefully no damage was done.

I've been growing in dirt latley to do a cross but I grew in hydr for many many years! Once you get your setup together seal the tub top on with a few rows of duct tape and triple wrap it it'll keep it from bowing out! Another good idea is to hang your air pump from a rubber tie down strap it helps to keep the vibration noise down to a minimum and if you hang the pump just a little higher you won't have to worry about your rez fluid syphoning back out allover the floor incase of or dureing a power loss.

Yea I hate the blue rbbermaid tubs too ;), I hates mine more because it was a 30 gallon tub, I likes the larger tub cause I could cut 10 spots out for 10 seeds, useing 3-4" net pots. You can toss your males and have plenty of room left over for 6 plants easy!!! Their great for doing dual grows...indica on one side and sativa on the other. You harvest the indica at 8-10 weeks and have plenty of smoke to get you thru till the sativa is harvested anywhere from 12-14 weeks And with the Lucas Formula no rez changes or dumps due to the addback facter!

Just my :2cents: hope it helps!

Heres a shot of my Grape Krush at 40 days just for shits and giggles ;)

Sorry for the "dirty" pix...LOL

Good LucK with your grow, Sticky

Latest posts

Latest posts