What's new

use of CFLs on seedlings?

Yo all, CS here just working on the upcoming cabs and I've got some SERIOUS beans coming to grow out, real rare stuff. Never popped a seed before..

My veg cab has 25w daylight CFLs in it (1700lumen ish) and i was hoping to use one then two of those to grow from seedling to ready to clone/flower, but due to cab size they need to be some compact plants..

How close should i be able to put the CFL from the tops of the seedlings to start with.. then closer when they get older?

don't wanna mess these beans up, real class genetic

aeburnside

CFLs can be within inches of the tops of the plants. feel the heat with the back of your hand. if it's too hot for your tender skin, it's certainly too hot for your real class genetics. if you are looking to cut down on stretch, try to use more than one from the start.

M

moses224

All I use is CFL for seedlings and I get good results. I find the cfl are gentle on the sensitive seedlings and give enought light to allow them to veg correctly. I usually veg 20-30 days under cfl then switch to my flower room 1400w HPS. Plants yield great so they definately produce healthy young stock.

CFL

MOVE TO HPS

Quazi

If you can get air directly blowing on the CFLs, then you can get the plants within millimeters, if not touching the bulb. Here's some OGKush/Tranwreck a couple of weeks old from seed getting nice and close:

I have a small 120VAC fan from the Shack blowing directly on the CFLs and air being sucked up over them into the electrics chamber via half an intake of a blower:

So, to answer your questions:

1) Yes, CFLs are suitable for seedlings.
2) As close as you can, as long as you can get some air flowing over them and they aren't of high wattage (bleaching can occur at higher wattages at such close proximity).

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:

green_grow

Veteran
i leave a few inches of gap when they are very young, but once they have a set of leaves or two, they go right close to the cfls.

aha ty dudes.. i knew cfls were suitable but i didnt want to kill/hurt tender seedlings by putting the lamps too close.. dont want them to stretch mad either..

2-4 inches it is. :D