What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coffeeshop Questions

G

I've always been curious about the coffeeshops.... If I went to the counter and say... ordered Jack Herer. How much would it cost me, and how much would I get? Do you always smoke it in a joint? Do customers bring pipes or bongs into the shop to use? Would I likely be "ripped off" as a tourist? I've heard you can't take any bud "to go". If I sound naive about this subject (and Dutch pot laws), it's because I am (thus, the questions...lol). I'd like to travel to Amsterdam someday, and it would be nice to have some idea what to expect. I figure that some people on here have been to, or maybe have even lived in Amsterdam. Would love to hear from those folks! MG

G

High Master grow. When i went they were still using guilders but there usually were either 10 guilders and 25 guilder bags. The better the stuff the less you get most of the time. The shops have pipes and bongs to use or you can bring your own. You won't be ripped off but less tourist coffee shops have better buds. Each coffee shop can only sell 5 grams to you at a time and your allowed to take it with you. Also when your in a coffee shop make sure you buy something else besides pot like a drink or some munchies. Hope this helps. If ya have any more ?s feel free to ask. peace :joint:

G

Thanks for the help DeviLock... very informative! Another Question has arisen though... 1 Guilder = how many US dollars or euros? I imagine 5g of the "killer Dutch kind" would have me stoned for a couple days at least...lol. Heck, a 1/4 oz of the stuff I grow usually lasts me a week. Of course, I live waaaaay out in the boonies, and don't have any stoners nearby to help me w/ it. "Bud light" is the buzz of choice around here (can't EVEN handle my homebrew) lol.

weedyzbox

mastergrow, they use euros now. And the dollar really sucks over there now. As far as purchases you can buy 1-5 grams in most places or pre-rolled joints. Try and stay away from most shops around central station as they are the tourist traps. You can definitely purchase smoke to go. Hope this helps you out. I like the Grey Area and Dampkring but there are others just as good around.
WB

G

Thx WB... it's nice to know you can take smoke back to your room. We would probably go over in the spring because my wife and I would really enjoy the bulb gardens in bloom.... sure would be nice walking around in them w/ a sativa induced grin!

weedyzbox

MG, if you're planning a spring trip try and make April 30. That's Queens Day which I hear is a great party. I haven't been there and was planning to go this year, but I'm also planning a month stay this fall and decided to cancel the spring fling for a side trip to Germany. Anyways... if you go, take your orange shirts and hats (Browns/Bengal, I see ohio river basin) that's the color everyone wears that day. As far as smoking in your room be sure to ask for a smoking room. But for the most part you'll end up smoking at the coffeeshops while out. I've never spent much time in mine. You can go into any shop and order something to drink and smoke your own. So don't think you have to buy smoke just purchase a drink. So while out sightseeing and need to kick in the buzz just stop for refreshments. I noticed that I drank a lot more over there just for that reason.
wb

G

Hey WB... we probably won't make it this year, but hopefully next spring. Would like to be there around 4/20 (appropriately), but didn't know about the Queen's Day celebration... might have to make it a 2 wk visit. Where is a good (and cheap lol) place to stay there? Can anyone go to the ICmag cup...assuming it happens next year? Thx again... MG

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
yes anyone can go to the ic mag event.
it does seem to be happening again.
guilders do not exist anymore well except the framed sunflower 50 on my wall.
a gram costs between 6€ and 10-11€ jack herer would be around 7-9€ probably.
xe.com for exchange info

weedyzbox

MG, That's what I was deciding to do myself next year. Maybe we'll hookup. :friends: As far as a place to stay it depends on several things. Cheapest isn't always the best way to go. You have to decide on inner city, outer city or outside the city. The closer to center of town the high the cost. I've recently decided on renting an apt. instead of a hotel for my stay this fall. If you don't plan on spending time at the hotel outer city is fine since the public transportation is great. Check this out. Just remember it maybe a 10-20 minute tram ride if you need to run to the room. Another thing to remember to ask is, do they have private bath facilities. Some share everything but the bed. :wink: But it's cheaper! If you're looking to do a package deal try expedia or one of those. That's how I did my first. They have a lot of choices and some great added attractions. I also liked the cancelation insurance for the price. If you are going to do it separately let me know and I'll tell you where I liked. If you plan on spending a lot of time at the room (second honeymoon type thing) look into a houseboat. A little pricey but nice. There are a lot of options, just decide on a few basic things and go from there.

G

Hi Weedyz... we probably wouldn't spend much time in the room, but my wife will surely insist on private bath. I'm still trying to talk her into this trip lol. The Dutch flower gardens are the big attraction for her, and she is not a very social person...we are total opposites in that area. Myself, on the other hand, will be looking to hook up w/ fellow stoners (like you) from IC, and plan to be stoned to the bone for most of our stay. I would also enjoy the gardens and museums. We would be looking for least expensive airfare and lodging, and wouldn't mind staying outside of town. MG

G

the wall is a pink floyd inspired coffeshop if my memory serves correct and right near the damrak too

G

I know there is a shop towards Barneys on Harlemstraat that is named Pink Floyd i believe where they are jamming some floyd quite a bit. There Umma Gumma is very goed. A buddy told me it means bubblegum in dutch but i think he was wrong cuz its spelled klapkauwgom in dutch. And its everywhere on the street too. damn them kids ;-) Anyways i will be there to hang out with famous Hazy fontazy and Trichomefarmer. See you guys there Jubei

probably the most user friendly coffee shop in adam with the best weed/best prices is Amnesia. They had a bunch of soma strains all "bio" grown, meaning soil but not neccessarily organically fed when Dampkring was all out of everything that I wanted--same with Tweed Kamer their sister store. Also Amnesia will roll you a joint for you even if you only buy like a gram...not that I needed help in that department, and the guys their were very helpful describing strains/breeds what was good at the moment as oppossed to what was over-cured or too-chemy and all that.

Obviously Americans might feel most at home at Grey Area.

Chocolat and Dolphins for Hash.

Barney's just for the fact that they have a killer wake and bake breakfast going on.

But if you are a real trooper you will buy your weed at the good places and then go to as many local places as possible...especially the dives and brown bars, the touristy places for Americans/Brits/Aussies made me paranoid.