Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the ancients sleep on weed beds and pillows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can picture a rope bed. I used to have a bed with steel slats with a spring on each end. But that was under the mattress.
    ---
    Now using a 5 Gallon Passive CO2 Blaster

Comment

I can see two problems with a rope bed. Firstly, they are seriously uncomfortable if you have a back problem. Maybe early h. sapiens had better posture since they weren’t sitting on a couch playing video games and eating Cheetos all day, but I think they suffered too. The second problem is vulnerability. Getting out of a hammock is usually less than graceful and you often end up rolling out awkwardly, so if a sabre-tooth was coming in fast I suspect he would get an easy lunch.
      Thank you to all of the anonymous growers for the fine herb that I have smoked over the last 50 years.

Comment

Originally posted by tobedetermined View Post
        I can see two problems with a rope bed. Firstly, they are seriously uncomfortable if you have a back problem. Maybe early h. sapiens had better posture since they weren’t sitting on a couch playing video games and eating Cheetos all day, but I think they suffered too. The second problem is vulnerability. Getting out of a hammock is usually less than graceful and you often end up rolling out awkwardly, so if a sabre-tooth was coming in fast I suspect he would get an easy lunch.
        Going way back to sabre-tooth days, I think you'd get an "Intruder Detected" warning from those on watch at night. That's the old guys (if they made it to 50) who only sleep a couple hours at a time like they do today. Someone was always awake. The young guns get a good night's rest because they need the energy to chase down and tackle the Irish Elk they plan on brining home for dinner the next day. The pelt would also make a nice bed spread, and that giant rack a nice headboard. lol.

Sounds funny but we know they had close quarter battles with large animals because Neanderthals have the same type of healed bone breaks as Rodeo Cowboys do today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk_480_480_c1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	18003407
        ---
        Now using a 5 Gallon Passive CO2 Blaster

Comment

This question shouldn't need to be asked.

Comment

Originally posted by TychoMonolyth View Post

Going way back to sabre-tooth days, I think you'd get an "Intruder Detected" warning from those on watch at night. That's the old guys (if they made it to 50) who only sleep a couple hours at a time like they do today. Someone was always awake. The young guns get a good night's rest because they need the energy to chase down and tackle the Irish Elk they plan on brining home for dinner the next day. The pelt would also make a nice bed spread, and that giant rack a nice headboard. lol.

Sounds funny but we know they had close quarter battles with large animals because Neanderthals have the same type of healed bone breaks as Rodeo Cowboys do today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Elk_480_480_c1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	18003407
            Going way back to those days, apparently we as a species (humans) generally used to sleep during the wamest, safest part of the day, and be awake at night when we were most vulnerable. And thats why majority of babies are born at night between midnight and sunrise, under cover of darkness.
            Also, as you probably know, Neanderthals were much more robustly built than us and had much thicker, stronger bones.

Comment

Working...
            X