What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Uruguay

andl

Hey fellas!

i couldnt find any thread about the situation in uruguay, but i saw a good ongoing thread here with nice plants ;)

i'm also very interested in cannabis community there! is there any? are there growshops? how's the situation in montevideo compared to other more countryside places or along costa de oro? as far as i know the city is part of worldwide cannabis march.

i got some info thats decriminalized up to 5g's possesion, but also i read thats quite not fixed in law. so whats up with that?

growing is illegal so dealing is, ok but what about growing for seeds? if you already got a seedbank/company or work in one is it possible to "expand" there?, well here in my case its not permitted to have male or female plants flowering unless you're want to produce narcotics. but living here is much too expensive.

also i thought they got pretty more problems around in south america than some ganja so how the cops dealing "in real" with ya there if you get caught with in/outdoor growing for yourself and/or seed production?

thanks for information ;)

andl

thanks for posting man, but i checked webhigh - uruguay some time before ! :D

there were diffrent places in uruguay on webhigh, but not all seem to be a "nice" place for ganja.

but i would really like to get some detailed answer, maybe i ll try to get one of these south americans in here ;)

i know theres a big scene in argentina (buenos aires) they also got something like cannabis cup(s) there, and buenos aires isnt that far away from montevideo....

j6p

there were diffrent places in uruguay on webhigh, but not all seem to be a "nice" place for ganja.
The only correct Uruguayan city listed on webehigh is Montevideo. Those other cities are in the USA e.g. NC and NJ.
It would be great for a local to post some more detailed info about Uruguay. Also you can check the expat sites to learn more. Cannabis for personal use doesn't look like a problem if you're cool.

Kayaman

Veteran
Hi guys, here's "the local"
You can read about our situation somewhere at the thread andl posted at the first post here, which is also in my signature.

The internet would never reflect our reality in terms of laws and pot in general.
Go through that thread to find a few words on our climate and situation.

andl

yes thanks i saw that thread, but still got these questions mentioned above left

i kow i cant find the info on the net so i m asking a "local" ;)

well i know the climate there, i meant more the cannaclimate

maybe you can just tell whats up with legal status thx.

al_sur

hi there, im another local here at uruguay, never posted, im a kind of a reader here at icmag but i grow since 2004.

when i saw that site at webhigh.... that info its not certanly true :

perhaps kayaman ( or any other local) can check /confirm these and my comments

Smoking tolerance level: 5! this place is like Amsterdam, but its cheaper prices, and better weather

- MVD is NOT Amsterdam, we are far from that freedom, but you can smoke walking in the street ( just keep 1 eye opened and alert anyways. im not paranoid!! jejeje)
parks, beachs, your car, its ok. police wont bother you for a joint or minimum possesion but as any place in the world... if they want to bother you, they re going to hassle you.

Legislation: MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay – This small, quiet, slow-moving nation doesn't make much news. That's part of being a small, quiet, slow-moving nation.

But Jorge Batlle has figured out a way to get headlines. He has become the first head of state in the region, and one of the few anywhere, to call for the decriminalization of illicit drugs. Mr. Batlle, a blunt free-market reformer, questions the costs and effectiveness of a drug war whose primary theater of battle is Latin America.

Read More Here

Possession up to a reasonable amount about 25 grams, for personal use is not penalized

Law enforcement: they do drugs... so the worst that can happen is that they take your shit.

i was stopped by police on the road to the coast once and the cops
found 2 joints (only), 40 minutes of speech and they take away my stuff.
no tickets,no much trouble, if they stop you with 20grs or so, if they want it, you can stay several hours/ 1 night at a police station. you cant ask for your pot later..
please do not say the "i know my rights!!" speech. movie stuff dont work here.

just go away and be happy that the situation ends there.

here its a legal emptyness or contradiction, use is not penalized but possession it is.
so you can smoke but if you have with you, its ilegal. how can you use it if you cant possess it?
the law only says that personal use is not penalized, but it depends on the jury and police to say how much you can have for personal use.

very little political activity for legalize - despenalization here... a few commentaries but no law proyect presented at the moment.

the problem is that we have paraguay and brazil, producers as neighbourghs.. if they open the local market , they gonna get pissed because they re selling bad quality weed most of the times. if you can buy or grow local, why to bother with bad brick weed with pesticides and/or amoniac sulfur smell?

insert corruption and political - country border disorders here-

Where to buy marijuana: all beaches, party's, & if u go out on the street its very common to see some brat in a a new ferrari porsche or even a lamborghini. (i have seen all this 3 things happen, in real life)
thats a bit of funny, perhaps it was written by a "gringo" at punta del este, a touristic place here where millionairs and european jet set come to spend they money on summer , its like mini-monaco or marbella for 2 months. then is a quiet place by the ocean ( nice place to retire :) )

there´s not too much street dealers offering you stuff like "hey man, want some weed? " nope.
a very few in some neighbourghs , we called "bocas" (mouths) and the stuff they sell its brick weed from the worst quality.

if you want buds or fine quality you have to search. like any place in the world. and pay.

further reporting told us "it is all over town , but it might not be that easy to find if you dont know the language, i would recomend going to the CIUDAD VIEJA the colonial district of town, there is a street there named Peatonal Sarandi, that is where all the vendors of arts and crafts lay down their goods, ask any of the long haired vendors there, and they should be able to hook you up
well, i never get from that people but.. yes perhaps they can help you. and ciudad vieja is the easiest place to get from the streets. also you can get robbed or tricked.

better to find a friend, or a waiter at a local bar-hotel, someone with a little knowledge and for a few bucks more perhaps you can get stuff in a more secure way. ( thinking of a tourist situation)

Marijuana prices: If u are a goodfella, and know how to get around in a city, u can get 50 Grams for 15 dollars, u can allways pay more and get better stuff, ofcourse!
in Uruguay marijuana is called PORRO. UN VEINTICINCO means 25 grams and it is a little less than one ounce, it is going today anywhere from 10 to 20 us dollars 250 to 500 pesos, you mat always ask for UNA PALANCA that means enough to roll a joint for 20 pesos or one us dollar

wrong
25grams from 12 dollars (200p) up to $500,and in dry season people pay up to 800 per 25grs or more ( storys about a 1000 pesos 25grs are not rare)

Marijuana brands: 5 types, depends on the month in the year, but face the facts, there is always around.
wrong again
3 types :
the bad one.. brick weed like earth and sticks. brown and dry. like smoking a shoe jeje.
you have to smoke a big fat joint with shit flavor to get a bit high.

the good brick : paraguayan or brazilian brick but good quality. very green. no amoniac or bad smells, less pressed. high potency, lemon-pine smell and flavor.

the good stuff:
selled by people who grow. sometimes prices in dollar per grams (2-5 US$ gram)
same weed you can have if you grow by yourself. some dealers offers you to choose from differnt strains.

all marijuana going around in montevideo, is imported from paraguay, or brazil, depending on the season could be pretty good, best from oct to feb it comes pressed into one kilo brikcs
yes , but its more the bad quality thats is rolling out there than the good one. when a good stuff is in the street, you better buy and save it from the future!

More information: dude, this is like the best place on the entire earth!

yes, its a nice place to live , easygoing, calm with no south american violence or criminal problem as colombia or brazil, but we are far away from Amsterdam, switzerland or spain.

i lived a few years in europe and spain is one of the better place legally speaking.

here if they bust you with plants, your in trouble and it depends on the jury and your records.
clean record, family man, working or with a company at your name, and a kind jury-good lawyer you pass it without a rash..
otherwise you can do jail or processed without prision. every case is different.
BUT is lighter than the USA . thats for sure. you have to mess it a bit to do prision time.

you can allegate personal use, i know people who was busted with 4 plants and they go free with the right defense.

so, this isnt disneyland, but its more free than any other parts of the world.
you have to keep it below the radar, smile at your neighbourgh , pay your electric bills and have a little eye opened and your happy and safe.

just common sense and dont be paraonid.

weather and growing in UY:
from october to febraury, growing season. good weather, rainy months in october,nov.
very hot (30-35º) in dec-january-feb.
heavy watering if you are doing outdoors. twice a day if you are in pots ( balcony - terrace)
january perhaps you only have 1 rainy day

wind is a constant here.
all days all the time. you have from tiny hot winds to 90kms+/hour storms.
( living here its fun hehee )

from febraury to april: flowering season:
plenty of sunlight and power till march... fading quickly in april
ocne i planted a kali mist (almost 100% sativa - 90 days flowering) and have nice yeld and quality, i dont know what to expect to pure sativas with 100+days. ( kayaman?)

watch for fungus and humidity issues, rains a lot sometimes. i have problems in heavy indicas.
always have to prune and tie them to open the plant in outdoors. shaking them after a rain also.

PLENTY OF RIVERS AND PLOTS TO DO GUERRILLA :)

INDOORS:
you can get anything to build a good indoor system but no growshops here with hardware.
you have to search industrial-lighting companys, hardware stores,etc
NO fertilizers or plant food like US or Europe. liquid nutrients solutions - boosters, technical stuff etc not here. only basic stuff and expensive than other countries.

very few hidro products ,you have to find your way here with compost, hummus, animal manure, etc
no guano ( or very hard to find)
only 1 perlite/peat - seller . otherwise you have to buy expensive 3 litre bags at supermarkets

i make my own soil mix, compost and compost tea. sometimes buy compost outside montevideo agro-stores in big bags.

since 2000 aprox there´s a good amount of people growing indoors-outdoors here.
a lot of people who came back from spain/rest of the world ,people who migrate when the economic crisis of 2002-2003. came back with seeds from around the globe and know-how / cannabis culture
back then, only a few skilled people grows and smoke good stuff. ( i only know a few 40yr old growers who are doing it since the 90´s)

it was very rare to see/smell a bud here. now you go to a party or dinner and people are talking about harvesting times or indica/sativa preferences.

the times are a-changing, for good :)

thats the way i see my country, perhaps other fellow uruguayan can extend/correct these info.

i hope this info help the future visitors of this little country.

saludos!

andl

hey al-sur great post !

thanks for joining in and also thank you very much for your precise information about situation there ;)

i'm very excited and looking forward to visit your country this year.

hope you dont mind if i ask some more questions but till know i m statisfied ;)

bye

al_sur

thanks, it was my first post and about my country ,
i had to do it right! hehehehe. :)

ask anytime you need more info about .uy

bobblehead

Veteran
I've never been to Uruguay, but I did live in Argentina, right next door. The Uruguayans I've spoke with are in line with Al Sur, MJ is very well tolerated. In Argentina, you can grow and consume for personal use, with no risk of prosecution. lol... One day I was watching a tv program in Argentina, about drug busts. It was all the police showing up to people's houses that were either A, growing way too many plants, or B, growing trees that were pouring over into the neighbors yards. They would cut down everything, put it in a truck, and drive away. Most people didn't get arrested, just ticketed. If they came in, and only found 1-6 medium sized plants, they left it alone.
The local weed, Paraguayan brick, is of the lowest quality. Not THE worst, cause that was in Mexico, but just above it. It wasn't uncommon for me to walk past a cyber cafe and see guys standing out front smoking joints in between gaming... I lived in San Juan though, not a bigger city like Buenos Aires or Cordoba...

al_sur

bobblehead, you re right, now in Argentina they have a despenalization process. The judges and courts are overloaded with worst things than growing cannabis or youth smoking in the streets (the "pasta base" problem, its like crack or worst), so if you get busted , they dont go with the full legal process or get you arrested. just your name in a file somewhere in the legal system.

as bobble said, in Argentina you have more "benefits" or a legal and cultural background than in .uy
they have associations,grow shops,people who design and sell custom-made indoors , a cannabis cup (Copa Cannabica del Plata) and a magazine: (THC)

the problem here is the cultural side, there is very little of cannabis culture here.
- Most of the population point at you as a hippie or pothead if you re smoking or growing cannabis.
- very little to none recognition for medical use here
- no growshops or seeds banks, anything related to cannabis as and industry. only a shop with pipes,papers,grinders,clothing, etc
there´s a project for explotation of industrial hemp but its freezed at the congress. no voted yet.

BUT we´re changing this things slowly... one plant at a time :)
perhaps in a few years we can live like in spain or the netherlands. i hope so !

please email me al_sur

please email me al_sur

I'm in Uruguay al_sur, I would really like to talk to you. I can't find any good seeds here.

andl, "also i thought they got pretty more problems around in south america than some ganja so how the cops dealing "in real" with ya there if you get caught with in/outdoor growing for yourself and/or seed production?"
There's very little crime in Uruguay actually, relatively speaking, to the rest of the world. Uruguay, and to some extent Chile, aren't plagued by the same poverty and crime issues the rest of Latin America is.
But yea, Uruguay's no Amsterdam.....not yet anyway. The new president who assumed office in March, has said that he's open to full legalization of marijuana....though who knows how long before a bill to do so is drafted and implemented.

Last edited:

al_sur

hi mastershakejb,
for seeds, you can order online, hopefulgrow.com is a very good seed shop in Spain, they ship to Uruguay and in a very secure way.
just ask for a secure/hidden shipping and they´ll send the seeds inside something like a wristband or a cardboard. they send it direct to your door, you dont need to go to the post office.
Alfredo is the man there.

friends had ordered from hopefulgrow and so far so good. and always with bonus gift seeds!!
you can order 3-5 seeds pack if you dont want to spend too much $. like dinafem, all feminized and at a ok price. they have very good genetics (mobydick,critical+,c.hashplant )

hashberry and satori are 2 incredible strains from mandala seeds at 15-20€ per 10 seeds pack.
search for reviews here at icmag for those strains. you cant go wrong with these ones.

otherwise, try selecting seeds from the brick weed here, when you get the more greener brick. i had grown great buds - mostly sativa - from brick seeds.
60%+ are hermies but... if you get the good one, jackpot! :)

back to the main topic, as you said, Uruguay is not Latin America, its more like a 3rd world-in developmnet european country with very little of South american problems.

you can live really calm here if you act with a little of common sense, they never bust or hassle you.
just be nice with your neighbours,
try not to deal in front of the police,
no 10ft plants in the city,
no stupid friends talking about "that awesome indoor at your basement"
and dont have more in your pockets than you can smoke in a day.

if you need more info about Uy or how to grow it here, just ask here.
saludos!

Thanks al_sur. I just ordered some feminized seeds from "Nirvana Shop", hopefully that works out. I may ask you some more about fertilizers or grow lights later, as the options for both seem limited here.
Chau chau

Last edited:

andl

thanks for all the good information so far i ll visit your country first time this year in may ! ;)

i m really excited and looking forward to all very good food also the very nice and friendly people and some fun ^^

maybe i ll visit buenos aires too and maybe i ll enjoy some of the weed here and there ;)

greets

The weed here's not so great, but yes, the people are incredible! I've done a lot of traveling, living abroad, and these are the friendliest, nicest people I've met anywhere. Enjoy your time here, or "disfrutalo", as they say here. Where are you from andl?

Buenos Aires, on the other hand, is a pretty city, but the people are @ssholes.

simonh

Hi Everyone

I've lived in Uruguay for a year now (from Berlin before that) and I havn't found a way to buy what I'd call 'good quality' weed here at all....so I started (just) my own indoor grow with autoflower dwarf's (due to size restrictions in grow box)

I've also found it a problem with getting fert's - have a look at my new grow thread and all the info about this is in there

I also have a quite a few female Nivarna seeds and would be happy to see them go to a good home if you can work out a safe way to get in touch !

andl

yes i know i thought about going over buenos aires to montevideo, should cost nearly the same, still dont know yet.
heart of europe (babylon).

hey simonh maybe we can met in montevideo, or someone who like to ;)

al_sur

dont miss buenos aires, its like madrid but with south america flavor hehe. is an incredible city and not all the people are bad.
if you stay and walk around palermo ( look for some bead&breakfast to stay) ,its safe,clean and a cool place ,like mini europe. i lived in spain and certain areas of B.A. reminds me to madrid. great wines/food and waaaay cheaper than uruguay.

simonh:
good quality weed its almost inaccesible here if you dont know someone who grows or sell "cogollos" (buds).
you never get in the streets. as a local even for me its really hard to find "the man with the good stuff". just keep asking friends .
now its harvest time so everyone who grows should have buds now.

FERTS-NUTES IN MONTEVIDEO
for all who has problems with ferts , here´s the list i have:
i use all organics, but i post some chemicals too

VEGETATIVE:
- humus de lombriz ( worm castings) + compost
i only use that and never had a problem , indoor or outdoor. with only this 2 you re fine.
try to make your own soil mix if you can. (i make my soil mix with 60%compost+humus and 40%peat and perlite)

you can find peat at Tienda Inglesa ( 3lt bag) or at Riverfilco (riverfilco.com.uy) here only in big bags (300lts)
Perlite its harder to find, riverfilco have 100lt bags.
i buy with some friends 1 time every year those big packs. like $1200 pesos and we get 100lts perlite and 300lts of peat (pressed block, when you open it doubles up!)

humus and compost you can buy it in every supermarket or "ciudad jardin" a plant store.
there´s a very good brand : BIOAGRO, not easy to find but best quality. they have 3 different compost.

- compost, the red bag 3-5 litre .

also there´s liquid worm casting, its a liquid concentrate, very useful if you dont have space in your pots.
it works really well.

you have 15-15-15 or urea (45-0-0) little fert balls in every hardware store
but with those agro-chemical ferts every grower i know who used , they burned their plants.

FLOWERING
Compost - same red bag. my plants seems to like this one. i used a lot in my soil mixes

Abonur - chicken guano. high in P and K.. smells like.... shit :)
they say "low N" but every time i put abonur in my plants they go greener and greener... its really good but im a bit confused with the formula that they put in the box..
I use it like a overall fert or if one plant its a bit down... abonur!
i use it for my compost teas ( thats the way i feed my plants)

Harina de Hueso -Bone Meal.
1kg bags, in every supermarket.
Keep in mind is a slow release fert.. you have to wait a month or so with this. i make a soil mix for flowering 1-2 month earlier with bone meal,compost, eggs shells(Cal), wood ashes,.. etc.. and then i use it when transplanting for flowering.

Phostrogen: (red or orange box)
fert for roses and flowers, expensive but really good.
you can find it in "ciudad jardin" or in a pet-agro store in downtown, rondeau street and Colonia. in the corner.
look for the formula in the box, there´s one with high P,K %
its the only non-organic that i would use.

no seaweed extract or bat guano here.
you can find seaweed at chinese store in downtown (bambu), and molasses in "el naranjo" or in the chinese store.
"Melasa de Caña". i use it for my compost teas

you have to improvise with the few things that we have here.
i found that making compost teas with those things and a good soil mix its ok. i tried indoors and outdoors and no complains yet :)

they are some other products but i tried almost everything and those are the ones that work for me. you can find more ferts at tienda inglesa or plant stores ( try Viveros outside montevideo, "el arbolito" in the Pando city entrance they have a lot of things)

hope that this info helps you to find food for your little green ones!
saludos

simonh

Thanks Al_Sur for all the info, its a lot of very valuable knowledge.

With the Chicken Guano, can you get this at Tiende Inglesa or is it only available at certain agro stores ??? Is it Powdered ??

i'm growing autoflowers at the moment and the soil mix I used for the seedlings (and also in effect the veg stage as they're autoflowers) is: Peat 40% (from a company called Biofer in Montevideo), Coco Fibre 20% (from Tiende Inglesa), Worm Castings 20% and Perlite 20% (from Riverficio), also Dolomite Lime (brought with me from Europe), Epsom Salts (from Vivero in Maldonado) and Sea Bird Guano (I think I got the last of this in the whole of Uruguay - a 5 litre bag from Biofer)

I am worried about the flowering soil mix though - would you recommend keeping the above mix and then adding Chicken Poo (see questions above) or Harina de Hueso ?? (or both ??)

If I use the Bone meal and / or the Chicken Guano, should I be mixing it now as I'll need to use it in two weeks ?? How much to use for each (the flowering pots are 6.5 litres each in size)

Thanks again for all this amazing info