What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have You Been Vaccinated?

Have You Been Vaccinated?

• Yes!

Votes: 62 32.8%
  • No!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • Soon!

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • No Way!

Votes: 58 30.7%
  • I Just Wanna Watch!

Votes: 14 7.4%

• Total voters

Gry

Not sure where you heard that.
GoF research requires the expertise of epidemiologists.

As do “big pharma biotech type(s)”.

A lot of misinformation in this thread spread by those too scared to think.

Quite willing too share with you how I acquired my perspective.
I had a grandfather who was born in Norway, and became a chemist and an MD, he was trained in Germany,
and was brought over to the US to study recovered German war chemistry.
He wanted me to have understanding and explained things to me.
Then there was my mother, who was a an md, and a pathologist.
She attempted to recruit every girlfriend I had to work in her lab.
My sister somehow managed to avoid our mother's lab and graduated from Howard
She followed in our grandfathers tradition, and works for big pharma.
Lastly my wife was an md/ mph.
Each of them assisted me in understanding how our system works,
and in it's flaws and shortcomings as well as it's victories and accomplishments.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I would say that foochie and his hiring the chicoms to do his illegal melding of AIDS and other nasties with SARS is not an accomplishment.

But it did help get rid of the orange menace, so you have your victory..

Lightmeup209639

First picture of Russia's COVID-19 vaccine.

Covid Vaccine Rus.jpg

mowood3479

Veteran
So is infecting 30 million people with a virus purposely supercharged in a lab one of the victories and accomplishments of epidemiology or would that be considered a flaw or shortcoming?
personally I think the culpable “scientists” should be hung from the Golden Gate Bridge by their underpants.. death via wedgie

Quite willing too share with you how I acquired my perspective.

You’re confused. Anecdotal evidence is of no concern to me. Neither are singular/life experiences of individuals you know. Completely baseless from any perspective considering your initial comment was misleading, at best.

Gry

As I glace at the last couple of posts directed my way, I feel like my time would be much better spent fussing over my cats than responding to
either one of them. The cat under my right hand approves of this message, and is suggesting a cup of hot tea to go with the bong hits.

G

gry, i just realized your image is not a creature with a long nose, but a dog looking at an oldschool record player. it was a scary image before i realized this. :jump:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Last edited:

Gry

gry, i just realized your image is not a creature with a long nose, but a dog looking at an oldschool record player. it was a scary image before i realized this. :jump:

Glad it came to you, few things are more enjoyable than resolving something we have been pondering. Buzzmoble provided an excellent link.
Wish you the very best of a fine day.

Gry

Listening to a description of the Delta variant and what it is doing, is not comforting.
More than twice as contagious, it more deadly, shuts down the immune system which makes transmission very easy.
Been very fortunate here so far.
Starting to hear numbers on what is described as long term viral effect.
This is far from over.
The areas with the lowest rate of vaccine acceptance are potentially more
susceptible to both the virus and variants.
A mask and social distancing is still one's best protection.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
...and the "vaxes" won't apply to it. Oh wait, booster shot! Vax update shot. This is all about imbedding a national ID in people, which is where gates came in. He needed people vaxed before he could mark them, so he got busy with the vax push..

Gry

...and the "vaxes" won't apply to it. Oh wait, booster shot! Vax update shot. This is all about imbedding a national ID in people, which is where gates came in. He needed people vaxed before he could mark them, so he got busy with the vax push..

What it is that rings your bell about repeating each and every unfounded statement that you run across ?
You repeat the bunk of every news outlet hustling for more views.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What it is that rings your bell about repeating each and every unfounded statement that you run across ?
You repeat the bunk of every news outlet hustling for more views out there.

he's got a point,without that gates vax chip how are the jewish space lasers going to target people?:biggrin:

Gry

What makes the Delta covid-19 variant more infectious?

https://www.technologyreview.com/202...=pocket-newtab

The variant, which first emerged in India, is already the dominant strain in the UK. Researchers are working to uncover the secrets of its success.

Covid cases are on the rise in England, and a fast-spreading variant may be to blame. B.1.617.2, which now goes by the name Delta, first emerged in India, but has since spread to 62 countries, according to the World Health Organization.
Delta is still rare in the US. At a press conference on Tuesday, the White House’s chief medical advisor, Anthony Fauci, said that it accounts for just 6% of cases. But in the UK it has quickly overtaken B.1.1.7—also known as Alpha—to become the dominant strain, which could derail the country’s plans to ease restrictions on June 21.
The total number of cases is still small, but public health officials are watching the variant closely. On Monday, UK Secretary of State for Health and Social Care Matt Hancock reported that Delta appears to be about 40% more transmissible than Alpha, but scientists are still trying to pin down the exact number—estimates range from 30% to 100%. They are also working to understand what makes it more infectious. They don’t yet have many answers, but they do have hypotheses.
All viruses acquire mutations in their genetic code as they replicate, and SARS-CoV-2 is no exception. Many of these mutations have no impact at all. But some change the virus’s structure or function. Identifying changes in the genetic sequence of a virus is simple. Figuring out how those changes impact the way a virus spreads is trickier. The spike protein, which helps the virus gain entry to cells, is a good place to start.
How Delta enters cells

To infect cells, SARS-CoV-2 must enter the body and bind to receptors on the surface of cells. The virus is studded with mushroom-shaped spike proteins that latch onto a receptor called ACE2 on human cells. This receptor is found on many cell types, including those that line the lunLandau and his colleagues study binding in the lab by creating pseudoviruses. These lab-engineered viruses can’t replicateAfter the virus binds to ACE2, the next step is to fuse with the cell, a process that begins when enzymes from the host cell cut the spike at two different sites, a process known as cleavage. This kick starts the fusion machinery. If binding is like the key fitting in the lock, cleavage is like the key turning the deadbolt. “Without cuts at both sites, the virus can't get into cells,” says Vineet Menachery, a virologist at The University of Texas Medical Branch.
, but researchers can tweak them to express the spike protein on their surface. That allows them to easily test binding without needing to use a high-security laboratory. The researchers mix these pseudoviruses with plastic beads covered with ACE2 and then work out how much virus sticks to the beads. The greater the quantity of virus, the better the virus is at binding. In a preprint posted in May, Landau and colleagues show that some of the mutations present in Delta do enhance binding.

One of the mutations present in Delta actually occurs in one of these cleavage sites, and a new study that has not yet been peer reviewed shows that this mutation does enhance cleavage. And Menachery, who was not involved in the study, says he has replicated those results in his lab. “So it's a little bit easier for the virus to be activated,” he says.

Whether that improves transmissibility isn’t yet known, but it could. When scientists delete these cleavage sites, the virus becomes less transmissible and less pathogenic, Menachery says. So it stands to reason that changes that facilitate cleavage would increase transmissibility.

It’s also possible that Delta’s ability to evade the body’s immune response helps fuel transmission. Immune evasion means more cells become infected and produce more virus, which then potentially makes it easier for person carrying that virus to infect someone else.

But vaccines still work

The good news is that vaccination provides strong protection against Delta. A new study from Public Health England shows that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 88% effective in preventing symptomatic disease due to Delta in fully vaccinated people. The AstraZeneca vaccine provided slightly less protection. Two shots were 60% effective against the variant. The effectiveness of one dose of either vaccine, however, was much lower— just 33%.

In any case, in the US and UK, just around 42% of the population is fully vaccinated. In India, where the virus surged fueled in part by the rapid spread of Delta, just 3.3% of the population has achieved full vaccination.

At the press briefing, Fauci urged those who have not been vaccinated to get their first shot and reminded those who are partially vaccinated not to skip their second dose. The Biden Administration hopes to have 70% of the population at least partially vaccinated by the Fourth of July. In the UK, Delta quickly replaced Alpha to become the dominant strain, and cases are now on the rise. “We cannot let that happen in the United States,” Fauci said.

Gry

Press release Vaccines highly effective against B.1.617.2 variant after 2 doses

New study by PHE shows for the first time that 2 doses of the COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective against the B.1.617.2 variant first identified in India.

Vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617.2 variant is similar after 2 doses compared to the B.1.1.7 (Kent) variant dominant in the UK, and we expect to see even higher levels of effectiveness against hospitalisation and death.

The study found that, for the period from 5 April to 16 May:
  • the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 88% effective against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617.2 variant 2 weeks after the second dose, compared to 93% effectiveness against the B.1.1.7 variant
  • 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were 60% effective against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617.2 variant compared to 66% effectiveness against the B.1.1.7 variant
  • both vaccines were 33% effective against symptomatic disease from B.1.617.2, 3 weeks after the first dose compared to around 50% effectiveness against the B.1.1.7 variant
The analysis included data for all age groups from 5 April to cover the period since the B.1.617.2 variant emerged. It included 1,054 people confirmed as having the B.1.617.2 variant through genomic sequencing, including participants of several ethnicities. Data published on Thursday 20 May for vaccine effectiveness covered the period since December for those aged over 65.
The difference in effectiveness between the vaccines after 2 doses may be explained by the fact that rollout of second doses of AstraZeneca was later than for the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, and other data on antibody profiles show it takes longer to reach maximum effectiveness with the AstraZeneca vaccine.

As with other variants, even higher levels of effectiveness are expected against hospitalisation and death. There are currently insufficient cases and follow-up periods to estimate vaccine effectiveness against severe outcomes from the B.1.617.2 variant. PHE will continue to evaluate this over the coming weeks.

Health and Social Care Secretary Matt Hancock said:
This new evidence is groundbreaking – and proves just how valuable our COVID-19 vaccination programme is in protecting the people we love.

We can now be confident that over 20 million people – more than 1 in 3 – have significant protection against this new variant, and that number is growing by the hundreds of thousands every single day as more and more people get that vital second dose. I want to thank the scientists and clinicians who have been working around the clock to produce this research.

It’s clear how important the second dose is to secure the strongest possible protection against COVID-19 and its variants – and I urge everyone to book in their jab when offered.

Dr Mary Ramsay, Head of Immunisation at PHE, said:
This study provides reassurance that 2 doses of either vaccine offer high levels of protection against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617.2 variant.
We expect the vaccines to be even more effective at preventing hospitalisation and death, so it is vital to get both doses to gain maximum protection against all existing and emerging variants.​

Minister for COVID-19 Vaccine Deployment Nadhim Zahawi said:
Almost every day we get more and more encouraging evidence about the difference our COVID-19 vaccines are making to people’s lives – with 13,000 lives saved and 39,100 hospitalisations prevented overall.

Today’s data is astounding and a true reflection of just how important it is to get both your jabs when offered.

I encourage all those offered an appointment to get their jab booked in as soon as possible and take full advantage of the high levels of protection the vaccines bring.​

Separate PHE analysis indicates that the COVID-19 vaccination programme has so far prevented 13,000 deaths and around 39,100 hospitalisations in older people in England, up to 9

Public Health England press office

Wellington House
133-155 Waterloo Road
London
SE1 8UG

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vaccines-highly-effective-against-b-1-617-2-variant-after-2-doses

mowood3479

Veteran
Yes, the vaccine has saved lives… also it appears the people who came up with the vaccine murdered 3 million people to do it….
you can’t make an omelette with murdering 3 million innocents I suppose

Latest posts

Latest posts