What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Speakers Corner is toxic

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Although I am new here, I was a member previously for a number of years.

i have to say that the speakers corner has really degenerated into a toxic cesspool of hate. Much of this is obviously around the US election. I have read about people advocating for killing their fellow citizens, public hangings,seen videos advocating armed uprising. I have been linked to some sites that can only be described as batshit crazy. All this in a section which is supposed to have friendly discourse.

In the last 2 weeks I have noticed a few old members delete their account, or say they won't post anymore. These issues even spill out into grow forums. To be honest there's some on here that I used to respect a lot; now not so much.

In short, I think the speakers corner is causing huge disharmony and will harm the site in the long term. Personally I am trying to stay away, but have strong views so not always possible. It's like a daily soap opera that I hate, but can't keep away. Plus once you post in a thread it forever updates in my posts.

Anyway if it was up to me I would ditch it altogether, or somehow clean it up. I know this won't happen but I just needed to vent.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
People are leaving this site in droves because of it. There are threads about it at many of the other forums. It's too bad. Used to be a good pot site. Now, it's just another hate site. No big deal. I love hate. Kill kill kill.

OldSSSCGuy

But all they have to do is ignore ONE sub-forum of god knows how many forums. I dunno... rather than get my panties in a bunch over some wackos I just turn the channel.

St. Phatty

it's like a bar.

if you don't like what is being discussed in the bar, there is the option of going to a different group of people, in the bar.

there are still plenty of people over-nuting their plants in the infirmary section.

pahval

Yea, but, you dont go to bars that have toxic customers... And what kind of bar wants to have that kind of rep anyway?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
it's like a bar.

if you don't like what is being discussed in the bar, there is the option of going to a different group of people, in the bar.

there are still plenty of people over-nuting their plants in the infirmary section.

- The Speakers Corner is a place where you can virtually stand on a soap-box and say your piece - its free speech - so long as you remain civil and respect other members - this is not compulsory for you to do - or to read - there are many 'bars' or forums here - as St. Phatty has made the analogy - where you can sit quite comfortably and not be bothered by others - who wish to stand on a soap-box and freely speak their minds in The Speakers Corner -

- I'm not a rap music fan - so I don't go to bars or clubs that play that sort of music - because I don't groove to it - but many others love it - as is their right - and I am not forced to listen to it - or even forced to post about it in some music thread/forum - as no member is forced to read or participate in the S.C. -

- Members come and members go for a variety of reasons - they have the free will to do that - and if they wish to stand on a soapbox and say their piece - there is a forum for that - as there is a forum for all sorts of other interests - most all pertaining to cannabis cultivation -

* ICMAG - is not just one bar/forum - it has so many for you to chose from - so many members wanted to talk about difficult topics - involving politics or religion - and I was tired of banning and censoring them for it - that is why the SC came about - if you don't like it - then don't go there to read or contribute - simple really -

Last edited:

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Good said St. Phatty, it´s like a bar, like a dark, bar deep in the US province. As I was new on ICMAG it was like a nice bar on an international airport.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Anyway if it was up to me I would ditch it altogether, or somehow clean it up. I know this won't happen but I just needed to vent.

I like the "somehow clean it up" part, what do you suggest???

Insults get deleted and folks keep right on going. :D

Chronic insulters get a measly 1 week ban and folks scream. :rolleyes:

....... and don't forget, most peeps here smoke pot for a reason, need I say more??? :whistling:

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I like the "somehow clean it up" part, what do you suggest???

Insults get deleted and folks keep right on going. :D

Chronic insulters get a measly 1 week ban and folks scream. :rolleyes:

....... and don't forget, most peeps here smoke pot for a reason, need I say more??? :whistling:
yeah, oh to be a mod. No thanks, but thanks for your work.
As the old saying goes....
If ya can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Sad to see people getting so worked up over politics though- the politicians will do what they like regardless of us.
Feck the lot of em.
I take your point. Some others have also made it. It's like some crazy addictive train wreck, but yes I will try and keep away. :thank you:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
As the old saying goes....
If ya can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Sad to see people getting so worked up over politics though- the politicians will do what they like regardless of us.
Feck the lot of em.

- Its not the Speakers Corner that is dividing/polarizing the people - its the media - if you all have been paying attention to it at all -

- at least we have the freedom here to discuss this - and give our take on the matter - The SC is not just an echo chamber for one side or the other of the political divide - its a place where thru civil discussion we can all realize that outside forces are polarizing us - as never before - amongst many other interesting topics that seem to divide us - where ALL voices can be heard - and hopefully come together with a better understanding of what is actually going on in the outside world -

- we only have a civilization because of reasonable and conscientious debate - its a process that is vital to maintain an understanding of each other - and what we like and dislike - to be able to project our opinions and views - which I believe is essential - particularly in these harrowing times -

Last edited:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
trump has the answer!

trump has the answer!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-90...gerous-unfair-Section-230-not-terminated.html

Trump threatens to veto defense bill unless it ends the 'very dangerous and unfair Section 230' that protects internet companies from being held liable for material posted by their users

Trump has once again demanded the repeal of Section 230, which shields internet companies from liability for content posted by its users

President took to Twitter on Tuesday threatening to veto the defense policy bill unless it ends protections for internet companies

He called Section 230 'unfair' and very dangerous' to US national security

Trump has for months been waging war against social media companies
He has claimed companies like Twitter are biased against conservative voices

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
at least you can actually talk with some freedom here, on most sties i see dissident opinions are shouted down and quickly stamped out.

disagreements shouldn't be a big deal, surely its fine to hate some things, just part of being human

growlegal

Veteran
at least you can actually talk with some freedom here, on most sties i see dissident opinions are shouted down and quickly stamped out.

disagreements shouldn't be a big deal, surely its fine to hate some things, just part of being human
:wave:
Having opposing opinions makes for good debate
but we all have to be working off actual facts and a certain group seems to be living in make believe

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
:wave:
Having opposing opinions makes for good debate
but we all have to be working off actual facts and a certain group seems to be living in make believe

- well then it is important to be able to point that out and prove otherwise somehow - whether you research and reference other information sources to counter a post that you deem not 'factual' - or can add to the conversation with your own knowledge and experience in words, pictures or videos - to be able to present your own side or opinion to do that - which invariably leads to a healthy discussion - or should do -

- what we don't want is members that lose and/or get upset about the debate for some reason - and then resort to trolling and flaming and name-calling or make silly threats in bitterness towards those that oppose their opinion or views -

- all ideas, views and opinions are very welcome - often they help me and others see things from a different perspective - so challenging our own beliefs - as to their credibility - and this can lead to a progressive and positive augmentation of our own beliefs - due to new knowledge attained -