What's new

Big Shampoo

h.h.

Veteran
If it’s not shampoo related, there’s a thousand anti vax threads to spam.

moose eater

I read half of the article; seems these chemicals or additives are pretty much everywhere.

Made me glad to know our plumbing in the house we built is traditional copper. But there's still a thousand items in our home that are suspect for this issue, ow that we read this report.

The report referenced some plastics or perhaps rubber compounds for which the phthalates provide greater flexibility... like arctic-grade electrical cords, maybe food-grade hoses, and vinyl flooring.

So based on the information in the report, just for grins and info, we checked the labels of some standard household items, like after shave (the report states the phthalates extend the life of fragrances, so they're found in cosmetics, etc.), and there's no listing of them as actual ingredients, either in the containers (which would rarely list contents of the plastic), or in the item IN the container.

So, how to identify which products or containers have these things added?

-----------------------------------------------------

Hempy, I believe it was a statement of satire or parody, lampooning the vaccine doubters and others.

moose eater

Old copper may be held together with lead based solder. Pre 71’ maybe? The advice was not to drink hot water from the tap.

FDA survey of products
https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmet...halates#survey

Our copper in the house we built was soldered with post-1990 solder. No PVC in the house, and no copper naphthenate, other than on the base of basement floor walls' bottom plates, or exterior buildings (stuff's forbidden in new residential builds for decades now)..

We finished building what was originally a 5-star-plus home in February 1998, which had been begun in July of 1997. Now rated 6-star.. for warmth and energy retention, not for fancy trim.

Thanks for the link. My wife wanted to dig into the items on the list. Most shampoo contents read like a chemical factory.

BudToaster

Veteran
Dr Bronner's Peppermint Pure Castile soap for body wash and shampoo for the last 50 years or so. ingredients are good, but comes in a plastic bottle.

moose eater

By the way, in the various literature, there seems to be some indication that heavier molecular weight phthalates are safer than others of lesser molecular weights. There's also literature re. hormones in infants (i.e. increases in estrogen type compounds) related to phthalates, Like, holy shit!!. And, in reality, locating a clear listing of phthalate presence re. any specific product labelling is scarce, let alone references to molecular weights involved in the -specific- phthalate(s) in any given product, resulting in a 'WTF?' moment, for sure.

Even plastic food containers are suspect!! And plastic coatings inside bags of coffee beans!!

h.h.

Veteran

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr Bronner's Peppermint Pure Castile soap for body wash and shampoo for the last 50 years or so. ingredients are good, but comes in a plastic bottle.

I used castile soap before there was a Dr Bronner's available. Came in bars wrapped in wax paper. They were good for bathing in the river [my only bathtub at the time] because they float.

St. Phatty

I think the electronics industry might be better off using old 63-37 solder.

There's a BIG difference between lead in a eutectic alloy, on a circuit board in a landfill, and lead pipes in a house.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right now I buy dog shampoo a gallon at a time. Both me and my dog use it. It is made from coconut, tee tree oil, aloe vera. No phthalates, sulfates, parabens. Woof.

buzzmobile

Veteran
If the Dr. is not in, ask for Kirk.
kirk's.jpg