What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vaccine passports

mowood3479

Veteran
Mate, if you're getting old and have been smoking most of your life like me.. i would say you have more to fear from catching covid than you do from the vaccine. Blood clots are a symptom of both covid and and very rare reaction to the vaccine. You are 8 times more likely to get blood clots from a covid infection than you are from having the oxford/AZ vaccine.
VG

8x more likely to get blood clots from a covid infection than the vaccine huh?
well one is an unfortunate viral infection
the other you sign up for and go to an appointment to get....
if ur trying not to get blood clots, seems like the most prudent thing would be to avoid covid infection and the vaccine... but perhaps I’m missing something

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I feel ancient, but at 48 I'm 18 months too young for the AZ jab. That's the one I wanted, but I'm being offered the Pfizer. I don't fancy it at all. I have a shit load of allergies, and the receptionist is the only one offering advice. A few years ago she was on the till at the supermarket. I just have no confidence in anything I'm being advised on anymore. The only safe way forward is to hide under the bed blankets and hope it goes away. Perhaps not a long term solution , but at least it gives more time for the stats to come in.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if ur trying not to get blood clots, seems like the most prudent thing would be to avoid covid infection and the vaccine... but perhaps I’m missing something

If there is a reliable way of avoiding covid, other than never going out, then please share that with us... Afaik the best way for everyone to avoid covid is for the population to reach herd immunity - and that means vaccine, or catch the virus and recover.
Personally i also have some empathy with other people and therefore would not want to be responsible for catching the virus and passing it to someone who is more at risk like my elderly relations etc. ymmv.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I feel ancient, but at 48 I'm 18 months too young for the AZ jab. That's the one I wanted, but I'm being offered the Pfizer. I don't fancy it at all. I have a shit load of allergies, and the receptionist is the only one offering advice. A few years ago she was on the till at the supermarket. I just have no confidence in anything I'm being advised on anymore. The only safe way forward is to hide under the bed blankets and hope it goes away. Perhaps not a long term solution , but at least it gives more time for the stats to come in.

Well congratulations - you are a bit younger than me who is just over 50! I got th AZ jab but would have preferred the Pfizer - which i think will be the most effective long term vaccine and probably the least risky.. but i'm no expert and do have a deep mistrust of the establishment as well.
I need to be able to travel, i go to France quite a bit, i thought the vaccine would help that along too... not so sure about that now but we will see.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If only we'd known this would happen, we could have swapped appointments lol.

Have you tried booking directly through the NHS ? its a separate system from the GP appointments and they may carry the AZ jab instead. I don't think it's been withdrawn altogether for your age group ? try looking it up online. You also get both appointments at the start.

mowood3479

Veteran
If there is a reliable way of avoiding covid, other than never going out, then please share that with us... Afaik the best way for everyone to avoid covid is for the population to reach herd immunity - and that means vaccine, or catch the virus and recover.
Personally i also have some empathy with other people and therefore would not want to be responsible for catching the virus and passing it to someone who is more at risk like my elderly relations etc. ymmv.

afaik the only real protection from a virus is a Hazmat suit + full faced mask with oxygen.

imho vaccines are a very short term solution... the data on the lasting effects of their immunity seems to be all over the place.
id be down probably to do a one time shot... but I’m not down to get a shot every 6 months going forward.
if my elders are worried about the virus I suppose they could get the vaccine?

Gry

May be a bit short on TOU and medical credentials, but Deadwood doc has quite a ring to it...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

i don't feel ancient but still feel ya on wait and see, specially as i had covid, i already have antibodies.

basically i never took part in medical experiments, i don't intend to start now.

i am happy that so many millions are taking part, it will help us get the full picture quicker. people who volunteer for these products are really doing humanity a service. i do wonder how informed many of them are about what it means when a vaccine only has emergency use authorization, while at the same time using new tech for the first time.