What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Let's hear about your first attempt at growing!

GanjaMisfit

So I was watering my plants tonight and starting thinking about how I've evolved as a grower over the years. Having older brothers and many other family members that are in to weed I was exposed at a young age. My first memories of plants were seeing seedlings growing out of the house plants because my brothers would thow thier brickweed seeds in there. My dad would get so pissed off whenever he saw them. I tried to grow my first plants when I was 12 or 13 years old. I had a large old wooden speaker box that I was able to easily remove the back from. So I decided to line it with aluminum foil and hung a 100w incandescent bulb in there. I put a couple brickweed seeds in some small pots with some dirt from the yard. The seedlings grew up to the bulb about a 12" long skinny stems then fell over and died. But I was determined to grow some plants. It was spring in the Pacific Northwest and I decided I would try my hand at growing outdoors. We had many acres of forest area surrounding our house and I found the perfect spot. I can remember riding my bike several miles to the hardware store after school one day. I bought a bag a cow manure and strapped it to my backpack and rode the three miles home up and down a lot of hills. I mixed the dirt with manure and planted 4 seeds and all 4 sprouted. I watered them every day after school and they grew ok. I ended up with 3 males and one female. It never even occurred to me to get rid of the males so I think I ended up with a couple ounces of seedy schwag but I was happy I grew some plants. Fast forward 30 years and I'm still obsessed with growing weed.

Anybody want to share stories about their first attempts at growing plants?

St. Phatty

We planted seeds in the forest in Connecticut.

In the mid-70's. Didn't think about the effect of rabbits and deer on the delicious sprouts we served up for them. "It disappeared !"

Then tried it in my dorm at college, using fluoro's. Wasn't worth smoking, but other people in the dorm thought it was a big deal.

Didn't actually get a plant to flower under lights until about 1990.

God some of the mersh crap we smoked. No wonder we tried to grow.

thailer

i bought an ebb and flow table system from the hydro store for like $450 hahaha and it was 2x4' table with legs, a rezervoir with no lid and a pump with a super short tube to connect it all. then i needed some nutes and i figured i wouldn't have great bud unless i bought the grandmaster set of advanced nutrients which i think was around $800. :good:

bought some net pots and hydro clay pellets and meters but decided to DIY a tent out of a flimsy portable cloth wardrobe closet i saw at walmart that was also 2x4' like my table but i want fat buds right so i got me a 1000 adjustawing light and shoved that in my 2x4 and TLDR, after root rot, PM, and another thousand dollars probably, i went into a different hydro store where this kind hippy who used to post on overgrow gave me this book called Teaming With Microbes and said this would solve my mold and rot issues. rest is history... :tiphat:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
When I lived at home in the Tustin hills I would try to plant a seed or two. My younger brother would usually see where I went and pull them up. We have never been close after that shit.

I have tried once again 30 yrs ago when I bot this land. I grew a seed in a beer can on an apt window ledge, transplanted it to my place in the wide open, and it was about 2' high and vegging well when I got skairt and chopped it. They had surplus Army choppers flying grid pattern looking for the stuff back then. Damn DEA

I have a real effort going on now, and I will succeed. Might need to get that book.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I saw some people pass a spliff around an decided I must try that. So went to the pet shop and got some hemp seed. I knew absolutely nothing but tried for a couple of summers. In that time we started getting hash, but it was a while before I got some bush seeds. It may of been 3 years until I tried a UV light and got burnt. Perhaps 5 years till I knew about the right lights, the 12/12, had actual weed seeds and got my first plant down. Which was actually very good. It just took a while :)

thailer

When I lived at home in the Tustin hills I would try to plant a seed or two. My younger brother would usually see where I went and pull them up. We have never been close after that shit.

I have tried once again 30 yrs ago when I bot this land. I grew a seed in a beer can on an apt window ledge, transplanted it to my place in the wide open, and it was about 2' high and vegging well when I got skairt and chopped it. They had surplus Army choppers flying grid pattern looking for the stuff back then. Damn DEA

I have a real effort going on now, and I will succeed. Might need to get that book.

there is a free copy to download of Teaming with Microbes and Nutrients on another website. if you or anyone want a pdf copy, hit me up.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Started when I was 15. All I had was a copy of that old book by Mel Frank. I tried growing bag seeds from the best mexican bricks that my dealer friend was getting. I planted them in soil and installed some fluorescent lights underneath a corner table that was pretty inaccessible from my parents. The moment they got too big they always started smelling like vegetative plants and I knew I couldn't keep them. But the act of trying to be surreptitious like that served me well and I got better and better at hiding things, and learning methods that helped with stealth. Then I eventually discovered the concept of floating rafts and started moving my seedlings out to the swamps of central florida. That was when I developed my love of canoeing, so that was awesome.

Eventually I was old enough to have my own place and we were able to use 150w HPS security lights that we dismantled and turned into grow lights. We were hollowing out dressers back then. Then my dealer friend rented an apartment just for growing in and we hollowed out every piece of furniture that we put in there. This was when Seeds Direct and Emery's store was happening, so we finally started getting Dutch genetics. Things were finally legit.

I remember being so happy whenever we harvested as much as a QP at a time, lol. That was a huge yield for us back then, lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts