What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Texas Nightmare

St. Phatty

start with a hot fire
add some dry and green on top
burns real nice actually, need a real hot fire to start though

I'm running the wood fired kiln today using all wet green wood.

It took some experimenting to do. I need about 7 cubic feet of coals before I drop the Crucible in the middle.

My "baseline" was mostly dry madrone. Learning to use "any wood", like in a controlled burn for wildfire management, takes some doing.

I find that a gallon of slash fuel and a bunch of cardboard soaked in flash fuel helps get the fire started. I spray the fuel on the fire in small doses so it all gets used.

Basically you have to burn off/ evaporate or whatever all that moisture.

I would like to have a better temperature gauge. Right now my main temperature gauge is seeing what metal melts when.

I could get some of those Cone things for pottery.

Of course I have to load the water pipe at the right time, who wants to handle bud when your hands are soaked in gasoline.

Got some Chem cross in the bowl & then I go out in the drizzle to start the fire.

Seems like the prep is 1/2 the work.

oldhaole

Veteran
Kudos for starting this igrow1 :tiphat:

I was thinking of it when I signed on tonight and was still trying to figure out how to word it, go about it.

That is some serious JuJu over there in Texas! Yup! My jaw is dropping... wrt infrastructure failure. At the end though, it is the citizens that have to suffer from their incompetence/corruption. Positive vibes being sent.

Ahhh....no. Your again missing the point.

The infrastructure failure was caused by a political failure. The Republicans, who have run the show for decades decided to save some cash by not bothering to weatherproof their powerplants. This exact thing happened ten years ago and the Republicans in charge knew how to fix it but did nothing.

This is what happens when you let the Republicans run the show. They cut corners until only the bare minimum is delivered, but come a problem, the whole system crashes. The Texas grid is built so not one unneeded watt is produced. Powerplants don't keep fuel on site, that would cost money. Turbine rooms don't exist, they too cost money, so in Texas they leave the guts of the plant right out in the open. What could go wrong? In Texas, the electricity pricing system allows producers to charge up to $9000 a mw/hr for power produced, so producers can game the system and keep plants shut down for "maintainance" while charging exorbitant fees. Remember Enron in California? That's how Texas works. Republicans call it 'Free Market'.

Until it gets cold.

Then the Governor goes and tries to blame the windmills.

So no. This was not a infrastructure problem. The system worked as designed. This was a Political problem. Big difference between the two.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Ahhh....no. Your again missing the point.

The infrastructure failure was caused by a political failure. The Republicans, who have run the show for decades decided to save some cash by not bothering to weatherproof their powerplants. This exact thing happened ten years ago and the Republicans in charge knew how to fix it but did nothing.

This is what happens when you let the Republicans run the show. They cut corners until only the bare minimum is delivered, but come a problem, the whole system crashes. The Texas grid is built so not one unneeded watt is produced. Powerplants don't keep fuel on site, that would cost money. Turbine rooms don't exist, they too cost money, so in Texas they leave the guts of the plant right out in the open. What could go wrong? In Texas, the electricity pricing system allows producers to charge up to $9000 a mw/hr for power produced, so producers can game the system and keep plants shut down for "maintainance" while charging exorbitant fees. Remember Enron in California? That's how Texas works. Republicans call it 'Free Market'.

Until it gets cold.

Then the Governor goes and tries to blame the windmills.

So no. This was not a infrastructure problem. The system worked as designed. This was a Political problem. Big difference between the two.
Only one Q for you... and PG&E California?

Slim Pickens

Veteran

Attachments

• EuY5XwBXYAMGqR6.jpg
    EuY5XwBXYAMGqR6.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 30

oldhaole

Veteran
Only one Q for you... and PG&E California?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but PG&E is exiting bankruptcy with about 25 billion owed to the people and insurance companies and the State of California. That's their responsibility for causing those fires. The people of California, there was at least an attempt for them to be made whole. After all, the fires were caused by PG&E, they should pay. That's the way they do it in a Democrat State.

Let's see how the Electric Producers in Texas are gonna pay for all the damage they caused in this last outage. All those broken pipes and property damage? If the power didn't go out the pipes wouldn't have busted. Were in a Republican State, my bet is the Electric Companies are gonna say it was an act of god. If you don't have insurance, it's gonna come out of your pocket.

That's the difference. In Democratic California the Electric Companies pay for what they break. In Republican Texas you pay for what the Electric Company breaks.

There will be no recourse for the "little people".

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong, but PG&E is exiting bankruptcy with about 25 billion owed to the people and insurance companies and the State of California. That's their responsibility for causing those fires. The people of California, there was at least an attempt for them to be made whole. After all, the fires were caused by PG&E, they should pay. That's the way they do it in a Democrat State.

Let's see how the Electric Producers in Texas are gonna pay for all the damage they caused in this last outage. All those broken pipes and property damage? If the power didn't go out the pipes wouldn't have busted. Were in a Republican State, my bet is the Electric Companies are gonna say it was an act of god. If you don't have insurance, it's gonna come out of your pocket.

That's the difference. In Democratic California the Electric Companies pay for what they break. In Republican Texas you pay for what the Electric Company breaks.

There will be no recourse for the "little people".

Exactly right.

How long will it be until Texas is begging for a bailout from the US Gov? Self reliancy sounds great,until you actually have to "pony up",then all of a sudden the attitude changes.

Can someone explain to me the difference between bailout and handout?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
?
[youtubeif]lfc9WCy7F5o[/youtubeif]

cycles. this isn't the first time Texas has seen cold.
Green New Deal is going to make this happen everywhere.
stupid communist comments. ffs
haters gotta hate.

[youtubeif]PrMaSevTDgo[/youtubeif]

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well this turned into another Left vs Right shitshow real quick.
I'm sure all the Texans are sitting around in the dark tonight wishing they had Andrew Cuoma as their Lov Gov.
He could just use all the nursing homes as warming shelters.
Bickering online isn't helping those folks at the moment , but have it, y'all may feel better when you close ya eyes tonight.
Chances are Miami isn't well prepared for this type of event neither.

oldhaole

Veteran
Exactly right.

How long will it be until Texas is begging for a bailout from the US Gov? Self reliancy sounds great,until you actually have to "pony up",then all of a sudden the attitude changes.

Can someone explain to me the difference between bailout and handout?

Oh, that's easy.

A bailout is when you use the cash to fix the problem. One and done. In fact, a good bailout is often repaid with profits from a new leaner system.

A handout is when you take the cash and put it in your pocket, then paper over the problem, hoping it doesn't happen again on your watch.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
holdren left out the part about what it is that makes it warm.
and being from 2014, it only shows that it's a cycle with similar weather then as now.
don't try making it about CO2 either as that is a red herring.
it's the SUN.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
[Iframe1]7OgQBlJimS8[/iframe1]

As long we are gonna blow the nasty co2 in the air that was stored in the ground for million years it will get warmer. Sorry that this is against the interests of some highly influencial cooperations and also not so good idea to build our economy on using the shit we dig up.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
....so FIRE huh?

my word, what a world we live on.

tell me, since we're in an interglacial period, and there have been many without us in them, how or why were there interglacial periods that warmed up without human interaction?

glaciation is the default condition of the climate...we are lucky to inhabit earth while it remains warm.

brickweeder

Man's influence on the warming/cooling cycle is extremely recent in the grand scheme of things. The greenhouse effect makes sense...but there have been numerous heating and cooling cycles on earth that occurred hundreds of millions of years prior to human life evolved and human extraction of stored carbon from the earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Phanerozoic_Climate_Change.png

The point is there are crazy long cycles in play that have caused warming periods in the distant past and will continue to do so. Man's activities are not the only thing causes warming of the earth.

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Yeah but now we make an input to those climate cycles in form of co2 that would otherwise not be in the system. Only because of economical desicions driven by greed.