What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Texas Nightmare

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just back from Houston last evening,real shit show down there.No stores , or very few have backup generators.Multiple deaths from people not putting their generators outdoors,bursted pipes everywhere.My other brothers area over in San Antonio,buildings in flames with the Fire department having no access to water.People in Texans are helping there neighbors out , people with power and running water are preparing meals and delivering them in their community.Some others out their donating their time running errands for strangers going to neighboring areas to get bottled water and blankets and delivering them.They are so unprepared for this type of event,had been there since last thursday , and never saw any roads or hwy being treated with salt . Those that did venture out on the roads had no experience driving in those conditions....scary shit to see these people trying to get to a store.After days of cancelled flights I caught one out of Houston (hobby) yesterday that got me back as far as Baltimore, but of course my connecting flight outta there was cancelled,jumped on an Amtrak from there for a seven hour trip home.Figured for sure I was gonna meet a big guy that was a traveling shower ring salesman somewhere along the way this past week.

Amynamous

Perhaps i wakedandbaked with the wrong herb this morning, but i fail to understand how any politician and/or elected official is responsible for what is happening in Texas.
To me, it appears like poor planning and poor preparation by bureaucrats as well as insufficient infrastructure.
I also live in a neighboring state. The local weather reports showed the storm coming 2-3 days before it hit. Seems like there should’ve been enough time to get ready, follow cold weather protocols for power generation, sand trucks or whatever.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perhaps i wakedandbaked with the wrong herb this morning, but i fail to understand how any politician and/or elected official is responsible for what is happening in Texas.
To me, it appears like poor planning and poor preparation by bureaucrats as well as insufficient infrastructure.
I also live in a neighboring state. The local weather reports showed the storm coming 2-3 days before it hit. Seems like there should’ve been enough time to get ready, follow cold weather protocols for power generation, sand trucks or whatever.

Absolutely, after the pile up I Ft Worth , at the very least Gov Abbot could have brought in Sanders and plows from up North.Even here where I am , when there's a big Nor'Easter bearing down on us we have electric linesman from Tennessee and all over the place come in a couple of days ahead of time, preparation is key.Having warming facilities available for the fragile would have been a smart move as well.Damn, JJ Watt could have come up with a plan far better than the morons they have running the show down there.Granted they don't have to contend with this type of situation as a norm , but as you said , they were aware of what was coming.

Amynamous

As an aside, while i am not a prepper, i believe everyone in North America should be encouraged to have the basics to survive at least a week, if not a month without electricity. Considering ice/snow storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, giant solar flares, EMPs, invaders from distant galaxies and zombie apocalypses could all lead to long periods without electricity, one should be ready.

audiohi

Veteran

texarkana-snow-01.jpg

Texas/Arkansas border

Who's responsible for budgets and sand trucks? Maybe Texas should figure that out and get one like its' neighbor states. Maybe politicians?

Amynamous

Absolutely, after the pile up I Ft Worth , at the very least Gov Abbot could have brought in Sanders and plows from up North.Even here where I am , when there's a big Nor'Easter bearing down on us we have electric linesman from Tennessee and all over the place come in a couple of days ahead of time, preparation is key.Having warming facilities available for the fragile would have been a smart move as well.Damn, JJ Watt could have come up with a plan far better than the morons they have running the show down there.Granted they don't have to contend with this type of situation as a norm , but as you said , they were aware of what was coming.

I’m soo stoned this am. I had to read that a few times before i understood what you meant by Sanders. I kept imagining Bernie coming down and handing out mittens. haha:laughing:

audiohi

Veteran
People are dying in Texas, and AOH wants to trash talk puke politician going to the beach. I can see AOH getting in a tight, and folks not caring either. Karma has a way of balancing her books.

Is biden bringing in the military to help with food, generators, water, blankets? Hell no, he is playing video games with his kid all weekend. AOH missed that. Harris probably turned on the HAARP machine to make this weather, and hurt all the red state people in the storm's path, while biden was hidin in his basement..

Dems are so rude!

6evbnh39kyh61.png

151439511_2851871035134472_7291282022985516714_n.jpg

EuOjPxFWYAIMBam.jpg:large

Last edited:

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m soo stoned this am. I had to read that a few times before i understood what you meant by Sanders. I kept imagining Bernie coming down and handing out mittens. haha:laughing:

hahahaha......it's been a long week , I should have caught that,but I'm sleep deprived.
Was there to care for a family member in there final days on hospice to save my brothers,and sisters from dealing with the end of life of a loved one.They're not used to dealing with that kinda stuff, let alone all the other issues we faced down there this past week.Of course due to the weather we never even saw a hospice nurse all week so I'm glad I broke off and hopped a plane when I did.
We all played a role , and thankfully had a generator and running water ,along with propane heaters.
A week I wont soon forget.

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
It is starting to get better. It did suck this week for sure. It was 43 degrees inside the house. My neighbor cut my tree down for firewood. I just don't know what to think about that.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
As an aside, while i am not a prepper, i believe everyone in North America should be encouraged to have the basics to survive at least a week, if not a month without electricity. Considering ice/snow storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, giant solar flares, EMPs, invaders from distant galaxies and zombie apocalypses could all lead to long periods without electricity, one should be ready.

In the sunny south, 'naders have a way of disrupting power. As in, taking out the big high voltage transmission lines and the supporting structures. In 2011 power was out for days for that reason. I am watching new house lots get put in, with electric sewage grinders/pumps. That will be painful IMO, if the houses don't have battery back-up of some sort, or a generator, when the power goes out on Turkey day.

igrowone

Veteran
It is starting to get better. It did suck this week for sure. It was 43 degrees inside the house. My neighbor cut my tree down for firewood. I just don't know what to think about that.
I hope he apologize/explain that he did what he had to do to survive along with his family
and will also offer some compensation

KiefRichards

Get use to it Texas Cowboys! Bad weather is coming beacause climate is changeling! Spring is coming, trust me! GO Dallas Stars!

Greenheart

Veteran
...place a dem in a bag, place a repub in the same bag, shake for 5 minutes.

Let's use a vacuum seal bag and see if we can "cure" them :chin:

Political jokes and hate aside. My heart goes out to those caught unprepared suffering in the dark and cold.

I have a lot of family in Texas. Most of them have loaded freezer goods into chests outside. Water is an issue. The store shelves are already empty of food and other needed commodities like bleach.

It is at times like these that people need to remember what being a good neighbor means and pull together. I'm sure many are. I hope those that do remember what the world was like decades ago and do it a bit more after it is all over.

May those in need find what they seek. May the crisis end quickly.