Texas Nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amynamous View Post
    As an aside, while i am not a prepper, i believe everyone in North America should be encouraged to have the basics to survive at least a week, if not a month without electricity. Considering ice/snow storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, giant solar flares, EMPs, invaders from distant galaxies and zombie apocalypses could all lead to long periods without electricity, one should be ready.
    In the sunny south, 'naders have a way of disrupting power. As in, taking out the big high voltage transmission lines and the supporting structures. In 2011 power was out for days for that reason. I am watching new house lots get put in, with electric sewage grinders/pumps. That will be painful IMO, if the houses don't have battery back-up of some sort, or a generator, when the power goes out on Turkey day.
    ______________________________ __________________________
    Dr. Tuggle's Compound Syrup of Globe Flower

https://youtu.be/x0BinEFCp38?t=74

https://youtu.be/NUmIO_MG5IU?t=87

Comment

In the sticks we used a lot of wood for many things besides heat and such.

Comment

Originally posted by cough_cough_eer View Post
        It is starting to get better. It did suck this week for sure. It was 43 degrees inside the house. My neighbor cut my tree down for firewood. I just don't know what to think about that.
        I hope he apologize/explain that he did what he had to do to survive along with his family
        and will also offer some compensation
        current grow: www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7872194

Comment

Like Hank says>country boy will survive! : )

Comment

I shudder at the thought of using green wood for a fire.

Comment

start with a hot fire
              add some dry and green on top
              burns real nice actually, need a real hot fire to start though
              current grow: www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7872194

Comment

Get use to it Texas Cowboys! Bad weather is coming beacause climate is changeling! Spring is coming, trust me! GO Dallas Stars!

Comment

Originally posted by Switcher56 View Post
                  ...place a dem in a bag, place a repub in the same bag, shake for 5 minutes.
                  Let's use a vacuum seal bag and see if we can "cure" them

Political jokes and hate aside. My heart goes out to those caught unprepared suffering in the dark and cold.

I have a lot of family in Texas. Most of them have loaded freezer goods into chests outside. Water is an issue. The store shelves are already empty of food and other needed commodities like bleach.

It is at times like these that people need to remember what being a good neighbor means and pull together. I'm sure many are. I hope those that do remember what the world was like decades ago and do it a bit more after it is all over.

May those in need find what they seek. May the crisis end quickly.
                  You are only as free as you live.
                  sigpic:peek:

Comment

Originally posted by cough_cough_eer View Post
                    It is starting to get better. It did suck this week for sure. It was 43 degrees inside the house. My neighbor cut my tree down for firewood. I just don't know what to think about that.
                    Makes me think of the song from Zac Brown Band, "It's Not OK"

Comment

Malakai refusing to come inside, says “no.”

[iframe1]p69uFY0dQjw[/iframe1]

Comment

A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do!
                        https://youtu.be/o1tj2zJ2Wvg

Some people understand when you tell them,
                        not to piss on an electric fence,
                        others have to find out for themselves. ~ Im'one

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
                        but be prepared for the worst.

Civilization is the history of conspiracy!
                        What is civilization but, a conspiracy,
                        for all of us to do better, working together!
                        ~Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
                        but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

sigpic

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
                        the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
                        may their arms be too short to scratch..

Comment

Originally posted by igrowone View Post
                          start with a hot fire
                          add some dry and green on top
                          burns real nice actually, need a real hot fire to start though
                          I'm running the wood fired kiln today using all wet green wood.

It took some experimenting to do. I need about 7 cubic feet of coals before I drop the Crucible in the middle.

My "baseline" was mostly dry madrone. Learning to use "any wood", like in a controlled burn for wildfire management, takes some doing.

I find that a gallon of slash fuel and a bunch of cardboard soaked in flash fuel helps get the fire started. I spray the fuel on the fire in small doses so it all gets used.

Basically you have to burn off/ evaporate or whatever all that moisture.

I would like to have a better temperature gauge. Right now my main temperature gauge is seeing what metal melts when.

I could get some of those Cone things for pottery.

Of course I have to load the water pipe at the right time, who wants to handle bud when your hands are soaked in gasoline.

Got some Chem cross in the bowl & then I go out in the drizzle to start the fire.

Seems like the prep is 1/2 the work.
                          Never Under-estimate the Psychopathic-ness of a Politician

who is in Save the Children Mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Switcher56 View Post
                            Kudos for starting this igrow1

I was thinking of it when I signed on tonight and was still trying to figure out how to word it, go about it.

That is some serious JuJu over there in Texas! Yup! My jaw is dropping... wrt infrastructure failure. At the end though, it is the citizens that have to suffer from their incompetence/corruption. Positive vibes being sent.

Ahhh....no. Your again missing the point.

The infrastructure failure was caused by a political failure. The Republicans, who have run the show for decades decided to save some cash by not bothering to weatherproof their powerplants. This exact thing happened ten years ago and the Republicans in charge knew how to fix it but did nothing.

This is what happens when you let the Republicans run the show. They cut corners until only the bare minimum is delivered, but come a problem, the whole system crashes. The Texas grid is built so not one unneeded watt is produced. Powerplants don't keep fuel on site, that would cost money. Turbine rooms don't exist, they too cost money, so in Texas they leave the guts of the plant right out in the open. What could go wrong? In Texas, the electricity pricing system allows producers to charge up to $9000 a mw/hr for power produced, so producers can game the system and keep plants shut down for "maintainance" while charging exorbitant fees. Remember Enron in California? That's how Texas works. Republicans call it 'Free Market'.

Until it gets cold.

Then the Governor goes and tries to blame the windmills.

So no. This was not a infrastructure problem. The system worked as designed. This was a Political problem. Big difference between the two.
                            Wonderful Things Happen When You Plant the Seeds of Distrust in a Garden of Assholes.

Just Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Three.
                            https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=204197 Long Season 2011....done.

Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Four.
                            https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=223284 Short Season 2011-2012....done.

Still Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Five.
                            https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4995530 Long Season 2012....done.

Not Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Part Six.
                            https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5571647 Short, Long, and Short Seasons 2013....done.

Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Embracing the Suck.
                            https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=281490 Whole Year 2014.

Another Crappy Day in Paradise....Do it Again.
                            https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=300355 The Story Never Ends.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhaole View Post
                              Ahhh....no. Your again missing the point.

The infrastructure failure was caused by a political failure. The Republicans, who have run the show for decades decided to save some cash by not bothering to weatherproof their powerplants. This exact thing happened ten years ago and the Republicans in charge knew how to fix it but did nothing.

This is what happens when you let the Republicans run the show. They cut corners until only the bare minimum is delivered, but come a problem, the whole system crashes. The Texas grid is built so not one unneeded watt is produced. Powerplants don't keep fuel on site, that would cost money. Turbine rooms don't exist, they too cost money, so in Texas they leave the guts of the plant right out in the open. What could go wrong? In Texas, the electricity pricing system allows producers to charge up to $9000 a mw/hr for power produced, so producers can game the system and keep plants shut down for "maintainance" while charging exorbitant fees. Remember Enron in California? That's how Texas works. Republicans call it 'Free Market'.

Until it gets cold.

Then the Governor goes and tries to blame the windmills.

So no. This was not a infrastructure problem. The system worked as designed. This was a Political problem. Big difference between the two.
                              Only one Q for you... and PG&E California?

Some people understand when you tell them,
                              not to piss on an electric fence,
                              others have to find out for themselves. ~ Im'one

A good approach to just about anything in life is to hope for the best,
                              but be prepared for the worst.

Civilization is the history of conspiracy!
                              What is civilization but, a conspiracy,
                              for all of us to do better, working together!
                              ~Snowden

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience,
                              but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

sigpic

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest
                              the crotch of the person who screws up your day and,
                              may their arms be too short to scratch..

Comment

nothing to see here.Please move along.

The longer I spend trimming,the broader my definition of "Larf" becomes.
                                I Blue my mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X