What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How about that silver?

EsterEssence

Veteran
Once again, oh, and lets get something square, this is a weed growing site and a thread about silver, and Bud Green asked a question about storing silver and I gave him a couple examples and I wanted to assure anyone that hiding shit should come naturally to growers and to just be creative and then you came in and ridiculed me and basically made fun of me, which is your perogative, but don't act like a butthurt schoolgirl when you get cornered and can't answer the basic question as to who is going to come in with guns and take our shit and imply that posting here makes me more vulnerable because maybe you can get us all caught up on the security preps all us stackers are lacking. You know, contribute something positive or useful. Try that.

7/31/84/ my son was born and my house was robbed, 8/1/84 a couple guys came in with guns posing as sheriffs, as soon as I turned around one of them hit me on the head with a gun, took me to the safe that they knew the location of and I opened it. I was only trying to say don’t advertise what you have or where it is...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
They were probably real cops, posing as thiefs.

Notice how all the older dated coins are gone, and the only available inventory is newly minted coins?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
The only coins I collect are dated 1964 or earlier...and I don't keep them in a safe...(As EsterEssence sadly learned the hard way)

Anything dated after that is just fiat money. (well, except pennies. They were still made of real copper until 1982)

igrowone

Veteran
The only coins I collect are dated 1964 or earlier...and I don't keep them in a safe...(As EsterEssence sadly learned the hard way)

Anything dated after that is just fiat money. (well, except pennies. They were still made of real copper until 1982)

there are(or were) a few 1965 quarters and dimes that are silver
worth keeping and worth far more than melt value

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
there are(or were) a few 1965 quarters and dimes that are silver
worth keeping and worth far more than melt value

Those would have been struck by accident from silver blanks left in the machine from the year before..
They would be worth a very large sum of money!

I can spot a silver coin mixed in with the newer ones from across the room...and I'd love to find a 1965 silver quarter!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The nickel is the only coin they have not watered down the metal on. They have ruined the collectability with the bogus designs, but the metal is still 75% nickel, 25% copper. At one point in 2007 the nickel metal was worth 8 cents, like a 1980 penny is worth 2 cents.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
As of the time of this post, the spot price of silver is $27.53..

This means the pure silver in a 90% Franklin half dollar is worth $9.96..

The big coin dealers are currently asking $13.79 for a Franklin half...

That's one heck of a huge premium on them..

2 weeks ago the premium was only about $1.30 and now it is $3.83...

What does that say about the availability of physical silver?

I never paid more than $6.25 total price for any of my Franklins. And that makes me smile...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I paid $28 an oz for some 10 oz bars back in 11 or 12. Someday those bars will be worth more than I paid. I got some glod ordered last week, and it is already up $50.

Just insurance against the inevitable devaluation of the dollah, and means testing for stimilis and SS. Money in the bank that they can see, can hurt you. The financial system has corrupted so badly that savers are punished.

St. Phatty

Those would have been struck by accident from silver blanks left in the machine from the year before..
They would be worth a very large sum of money!

I can spot a silver coin mixed in with the newer ones from across the room...and I'd love to find a 1965 silver quarter!

I have a hard time with the old ones, like 1980 vintage dimes.

Have to put on the glasses to tell the difference from Silver.

I loaded up on dimes & halves, but am a little short on quarters.

Once one of the coin store employees mis-counted a silver half in my favor.

I pointed out the error, about 25 feet away from the bosses office.

But then the boss died. I know I scored some good Karma but I don't know if it's tranferable to the new boss.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
None of these cost the owner more than $7500 each in the last 20 years. Actually a little less than that. The 58's are now in the vicinity of 25k and the 55 is somewhere around 20k.

I had a half a box of 20 1799 $10's that I set aside year after year for between $4500 and $7k each

They all sold for more than 15k each which was too soon as they are all worth more than 20-25k now.

The main difference between metals and rare coins is all metals prices are determined by who is betting long or short ( just like lumber, frozen orange juice, pork bellies, etc, look at the commodity section in your wsj ) while rare coins are based on physical and no financing.
3_1799_$5-1.jpg

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I can spot a silver coin with my eyes closed. Just drop one on a hard surface, and then drop one of the pot metal coins. The silver rings, the pot metal clanks.

The last time the .guv confiscated glod, they left jewelry and collectables alone. Bullion is fair game in their eyes, just like guns and cash.

St. Phatty

Part of Coin Collecting I hadn't heard about - the Small Date 1970S copper penny.

Apparently the pennies with the small 7 are worth more ?

1970-s-large-date-vs-small-date-lincoln-cent.jpg

I save copper pennies, partially because they are a useful source of "gilding metal" - the same 95/5 alloy that is used for copper jackets on bullets.

It's a good alloy for metal-working, as the US mint and bullet manufacturers seem to think.

Someday when I'm done housecleaning, in the 22nd century, I'll look at my copper "s pennies".

igrowone

Veteran
1970 small s - very nice penny as pennies go
for the latest hot penny that you could see
1982 d small date, quite rare and desirable - 18,800 at an auction

brickweeder

...I save copper pennies, partially because they are a useful source of "gilding metal" - the same 95/5 alloy that is used for copper jackets on bullets.

It's a good alloy for metal-working, as the US mint and bullet manufacturers seem to think.

I do the opposite for alloying. I use the new pennies because they are a pure zinc blank with some copper plating on it...use them to alloy with silver and gold when I make silver or gold solder. Just run them through a rolling mill to flatten and sand off the coating with some 400 grit and its ready to alloy.

St. Phatty

I do the opposite for alloying. I use the new pennies because they are a pure zinc blank with some copper plating on it...use them to alloy with silver and gold when I make silver or gold solder. Just run them through a rolling mill to flatten and sand off the coating with some 400 grit and its ready to alloy.

or you could make a battery, if the Walter White home-made battery was accurate.

Gry

Klondike Silver a junior mining company goes crazy on the stock market. Is it the investment opportunity of a lifetime or a scam? We dig into the the the mine history, talk to a local expert and go underground to check out the mine.
#242 Klondike Silver Goes Crazy...Why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcExlDQKfM

St. Phatty

Klondike Silver a junior mining company goes crazy on the stock market. Is it the investment opportunity of a lifetime or a scam? We dig into the the the mine history, talk to a local expert and go underground to check out the mine.
#242 Klondike Silver Goes Crazy...Why?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LcExlDQKfM

The one Silver stock I would feel comfortable buying is First Majestic, ticker, AG.

Having watched it for 5 years.

Of course, I wouldn't buy it at today's prices.