What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How about that silver?

ronbo51

Veteran
Physical silver takes up a lot of space, and is very heavy...

What kind of safe hiding places do "stackers" recommend for keeping it safe?

I have built secret spots in my walls, much like a micro grow. I built an office cabinet that had a removeable kick space that i filled with 10 ounce bars. Monster boxes you can put a tape label on them labeled "old pics", or "phillips head screws" and stick them anywhere among your clutter. Hiding is easier than moving. I've moved 4 times with almost 3000 ounces and it's a chore. The bulk of mine is in a safe room behind 2 hidden magnetically locked doors that look like bookshelves, but there is other stuff in there like bulk ammo and emergency cash in a large fireproof container. I like hiding shit. I just built a new grow room under some stairs and its completely hidden with the door behind a refrigerator.

brickweeder

Gotta love r/wall street bets!

Gotta love r/wall street bets!

Silver is up $1.75 right now...r/wallstreetbets is the real deal. Not going to sell any more SLV calls until after a good run.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Looks like APMEX put out the "Gone fishing" sign out, again. Funny how inventory runs out when the price is moving up.

Monday AM the cheapest coins are over $42 at APMEX. They are hurting the morgue now I hope.

BTW, silver is cheap. Adjust the current price for the raging inflation that has taken place over my lifetme...

1536602713408-silvercpi.png

I used to like buying these for $8600. Yeah, they take up a lot of space. Try to find one now for that price

https://www.apmex.com/category/23125/canadian-silver-maple-leaf-coins-monster-boxes

Last edited:

brickweeder

Not Wallstreetbets Induced

Not Wallstreetbets Induced

After perusing reddit's wallstreetbets, it is apparent that the spike in silver is not because wallstreetbets is shorting silver, they absolutely are not.

I think what happened is that the media focused in on a few reddits posts that tried to get the wallstreetbet hoard to focus on silver, and the media blasted out headlines across the net, including ZeroHedge, that wallstreetbets is attempting to short silver. These headlines are BS, although I do like the outcome.

As a result of the headlines, many readers tried to get a jump on the perceived imminent Silver Short Squeeze and bought up all the silver at the retailers, thus creating a real physical retail shortage on Thursday, Friday and over the weekend. When the early market opened on Sunday night/Monday morning, folks started buying silver futures, SLV, PSLV, and the silver miners, which carried throughout the day.

Again, this activity is not because of the reddit crew at all...rather wallstreetbets is actively dissuading their members from buying silver and SLV. It is merely a case of the public reacting to the MEDIA Headlines and narrative with their wallets.

At some point after wallstreetbets are done with gamestop, amc and blackberry, they might LOOK at silver, but don't expect them to turn to silver until GME is played out, if at all.

But that doesn't mean we won't have a short squeeze anyway, as there are a lot folks that are focused on it right now, even though the main driver (wallstreetbets) is not in the silver game at all.

Because of this, the much anticipated short squeeze may not materialize despite the spike. So be happy with taking some profits on some small positions, and don't fret about those sold positions if price action still goes up.

I'll be buying the dips, and the deeper they are, the more I'll buy. I'll also be selling into the runs, the more it runs, the more I'll sell.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I have built secret spots in my walls, much like a micro grow. I built an office cabinet that had a removeable kick space that i filled with 10 ounce bars. Monster boxes you can put a tape label on them labeled "old pics", or "phillips head screws" and stick them anywhere among your clutter. Hiding is easier than moving. I've moved 4 times with almost 3000 ounces and it's a chore. The bulk of mine is in a safe room behind 2 hidden magnetically locked doors that look like bookshelves, but there is other stuff in there like bulk ammo and emergency cash in a large fireproof container. I like hiding shit. I just built a new grow room under some stairs and its completely hidden with the door behind a refrigerator.

The only good thing about stash places are that nobody knows where they are, if they come in with guns you will open them up. I certainly wouldn’t advertise online where your stashes are...

ronbo51

Veteran
The only good thing about stash places are that nobody knows where they are, if they come in with guns you will open them up. I certainly wouldn’t advertise online where your stashes are...

You should have stopped after the first sentence. The rest is you being stupid. What exactly have you learned from what I wrote? Who exactly is going to "come in with guns"? Yeah, stash spots are cool.

I've seen over 60 years go by. When I was 6 years old in 1964 a dime could buy the biggest, best candy bar at the drug store. Today that same bar of chocolate costs ... I don't know, but I sure as fuck know that same silver dime will easily buy that bar because that dime is worth three bucks right now. That's why I have all the cash side of my wealth in silver and gold. I am not wealthy by any stretch but I'll be fucked if I am going to let them eat what little I have away to nothing through currency dilution. Fuck that. Buy silver, bitches

EsterEssence

Veteran
You don’t know me and I am certainly not stupid so quit with the playground name calling and grow the fuck up...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I would like more gold. Problem is APMEX has the spot price on their site $10 higher than Kitco, and the premium on 1 oz coins is over $100. $1960 to buy $1835 in metal.

brickweeder

I would like more gold. Problem is APMEX has the spot price on their site $10 higher than Kitco, and the premium on 1 oz coins is over $100. $1960 to buy $1835 in metal.

That's because the $1835 spot price is based on paper not actual metal.

I doubt anyone can get pure gold metal at $1835 when the paper spot price is $1835. It just means that the paper spot price of 1835 is trading at a discount to the actual metal spot price. In essence, $1835 is fake spot.

I asked apmex about the kitco price differential and they said they use a formula that determines their spot prices from multiple markets.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
That's because the $1835 spot price is based on paper not actual metal.

I doubt anyone can get pure gold metal at $1835 when the paper spot price is $1835. It just means that the paper spot price of 1835 is trading at a discount to the actual metal spot price. In essence, $1835 is fake spot.

I asked apmex about the kitco price differential and they said they use a formula that determines their spot prices from multiple markets.

That's the problem with tangible gold. You pay ridiculous commissions buying, selling or storing it.

ronbo51

Veteran
You don’t know me and I am certainly not stupid so quit with the playground name calling and grow the fuck up...

Once again, oh, and lets get something square, this is a weed growing site and a thread about silver, and Bud Green asked a question about storing silver and I gave him a couple examples and I wanted to assure anyone that hiding shit should come naturally to growers and to just be creative and then you came in and ridiculed me and basically made fun of me, which is your perogative, but don't act like a butthurt schoolgirl when you get cornered and can't answer the basic question as to who is going to come in with guns and take our shit and imply that posting here makes me more vulnerable because maybe you can get us all caught up on the security preps all us stackers are lacking. You know, contribute something positive or useful. Try that.

brickweeder

That's the problem with tangible gold. You pay ridiculous commissions buying, selling or storing it.
Amen to that! Plus shipping is costly and inconvenient. And its difficult to divide metlal into subunits that are easily tradable...no way would I accept 5/64th of a 1 ounce Krugerrand, or 3/4 of a one ounce silver canadian mapleleaf in trade.

Its better to just buy cryptos on the deep dips, or paper gold/silver that have no premiums and can be traded with a click.

St. Phatty

Once again, oh, and lets get something square, this is a weed growing site and a thread about silver, and Bud Green asked a question about storing silver and I gave him a couple examples

It's interesting how growing weed & investing have changed over the years.

In the 90's you could sell Good Meds for $240 an ounce - and buy gold for the same price (almost, the Gold was Troy ounce, the pot was 28 gram ounces).

Now ... I don't know anybody selling Herb for $1800 an ounce.

brickweeder

It's interesting how growing weed & investing have changed over the years.

In the 90's you could sell Good Meds for $240 an ounce - and buy gold for the same price (almost, the Gold was Troy ounce, the pot was 28 gram ounces).

Now ... I don't know anybody selling Herb for $1800 an ounce.
back in 2010ish, an ounce of primo would fetch 1000 bitcoins. Now an ounce of primo would fetch 0.007 bitcoins.

Which is better, Bitcoin or Gold?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Gold is down 10% since last August when it topped $2Gs. I'm expecting it to keep going down as stability returns politically.

Going with the funds like SPDR® Gold Shares NYSE Arca:GLD keeps you in the action but gives fast liquidity at a reasonable cost. For something hands on as a worst case scenario, I like the coins and never went as far as prepare type staples like food, ammo etc.

Green Squall

Physical silver takes up a lot of space, and is very heavy...

What kind of safe hiding places do "stackers" recommend for keeping it safe?

I know most stackers would advice against this, as they say "if you don't hold it, you don't own it", but I keep it in a safe deposit box. My reasoning is that the odds of a burglary or fire are MUCH higher than something happening in the bank vault.

Green Squall

NationWideCoins offers 1 oz of gold at spot per household. The catch here is that they will pressure you to buy proof coins in the future, but you can easily opt out. Also check out FindBullionPrices.com for the best deals on metals.

St. Phatty

back in 2010ish, an ounce of primo would fetch 1000 bitcoins. Now an ounce of primo would fetch 0.007 bitcoins.

Which is better, Bitcoin or Gold?

Won't really know until Bitcoin has been through one EMP event or something like the Equifax hack.

Attitude takes Bitcoin !

brickweeder

Won't really know until Bitcoin has been through one EMP event or something like the Equifax hack.

Attitude takes Bitcoin !
Since bitcoin is being run by tens or hundreds of thousands of mining systems across the globe, I wouldn't worry about an emp attack unless it were global.

Now a hack that is able to alter the blockchain...that is different story, although seems extremely unlikely from my limited info.

But since its birth, bitcoin has been mopping up the floor with gold, and the mopping is accelerating.

Latest posts

Latest posts