What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best-Favorite-Flower-Long-Term-Storage-Methods

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By long term I mean anywhere from a month to a year or more. I like to use the vacuum bags to suck the air out of a smaller bag and then place in the all black glass I Used to buy all mine from Miron Vitality Glass in Sebastapol Ca.

I've opened jars packed like this of headband that's 3 years old and while no it's not like the day it was perfect, it was also pretty dang good and there's a saying in the navy, any port in a storm?

What's your tips and why? :tiphat:

p.s. just as in today just got a nice bag of Platinum Girl Scout Cookies and this comes so infrequently in the quality it is that I just had to get a yxyzs+ supply :woohoo:

St. Phatty

Buy the 5 cubic foot chest freezer at Walmart for $150.

Take all the Cannabis stuff out of your fridge & freezer and put it in the chest freezer.

Then tell your housemates about the new arrangement.

Call me old school tudo but i like to bury it. Double vacuum seal it then drop it into a chest esky and bury a foot or two down. Makes me feel like a pirate busting into a chest in the backblocks with a long handle shovel and a smile. Keeps me a clean house too.
Thatl give me a good 4 years storage in a pinch. Just gotta be confident of your cure, or whatever you do youl be pulling out sour nasty.

St. Phatty

Call me old school tudo but i like to bury it. Double vacuum seal it then drop it into a chest esky and bury a foot or two down. Makes me feel like a pirate busting into a chest in the backblocks with a long handle shovel and a smile. Keeps me a clean house too.
Thatl give me a good 4 years storage in a pinch. Just gotta be confident of your cure, or whatever you do youl be pulling out sour nasty.

If you bury it deep enough you also escape the ravages of heat from the sun.

I have the impression that cold is good for storage, but I wonder if it's best to thoroughly dry any Cannabis seeds before freezing them. To keep moisture from bursting cell walls etc.

The rule of thumb in the ground effects cooling industry is that the ground is 55 F. Those are people that stick pipes in the ground and blow air through it to help cool (or heat) a space.

I don't think it's THAT simple, but yes the ground is good.

Once I had a storage space and stashed seeds & pot in 2 aluminum tool chests. Wasn't sure exactly how to make the bottom of the box make contact with the cool smooth cement ... I think I ended up using toothpaste.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Just don't open them until totally room temp or condensation will settle on your flowers.

I always shuffled my buds when I got jars cold and then let them warm back up to temperature.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
jar it up in a oxygen-free environment, using helium or argon. both are inert gases available in welding supply stores. keep those jars in a refrigerator. THC stays better for longer periods of time (as does nearly everything) in an oxygen free situation. heat and oxygen are your enemies...:tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Vacuum sealed canning jars in a cool, dark place. Bags just compress the buds.

green-genes77

Veteran
Mason jars 3/4 full in a climate controlled root cellar. The terps stay fresh and the highs stay bright and enjoyable until next year's outdoor.

1G12

I use mason jars & spray wine preservative gas inside from a can (called Private Preserve) to remove the oxygen . Then put the jars in paper bags (removes most of the light) & store in the veggie compartment in the fridge (cools it down to slow chemical reactions). Well, that's the theory anyway.

I like the inert gas flushing ideas and vacuum sealed mason jars. Thats gold.
And armed hippys on the money - heat and oxygen are the enemies and maybe also temperature variation as itl make relative humidity fluctuate outa the comfortable range.. Ive had all kinds of problems with freezing as its caused condensation in the bags.

shithawk420

Veteran
Are you fucking serious? I'll admit the best wine I ever had was supposedly burried but fuck going to all that trouble.i know I'd fucking forget where I burried it

hayday

Veteran
I used to just jar it all but now vacume bag and stuff in a bucket with a
lid.Then I stash them in a room temp dark place untill I need to mess
with.
Jars always turn funkey quick but hey, I used them for way over a decade

Are you fucking serious? I'll admit the best wine I ever had was supposedly burried but fuck going to all that trouble.i know I'd fucking forget where I burried it

Totally serious brother. Never lost one yet... As far as i remember...:dunno: Fingers crossed eh :biggrin:

But really undergrounds got what I need. Its more secure than home. Temps are constant around 10C. And if someone does turn it up its not coming home to bite you. And oooh the pirate life.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
For long term storage I use 1/2 gallon Mason jars sealed with the vacuum attachment on a Foodsaver type machine. Last year I put a small oxygen eater pack in each jar because I had them here.
I then place the jars in a a chest freezer that gets well below 0 degrees.
Like others have said, let the jar warm to room temp before opening to prevent condensation on the frozen buds.
Works great. I had buds stored for months that looked as new and smelled as good as when I put them up.

Unless they are sealed with heat or vacuum, Mason jars are not necessarily air tight.