What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

Is an avalanche shovel aka 'fork'? No avalanches in Florida.

Could be, I guess.

We've also used them as an adapted fish restraint device, when pulling a 39" to 42" lake trout up into a 10" diameter hole in the ice, and the thing starts to slip back down the hole before anyone can get a good hold behind the gill plate, the avalanche shovel can be -carefully- applied behind the gill plate, holding the large fish to the opposite side of the hole, until such time as some volunteer can grab the thing and keep it from breaking the braided 50-lb. test Spiderwire and slithering back down the hole.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Could be, I guess.

We've also used them as an adapted fish restraint device, when pulling a 39" to 42" lake trout up into a 10" diameter hole in the ice, and the thing starts to slip back down the hole before anyone can get a good hold behind the gill plate, the avalanche shovel can be -carefully- applied behind the gill plate, holding the large fish to the opposite side of the hole, until such time as some volunteer can grab the thing and keep it from breaking the braided 50-lb. test Spiderwire and slithering back down the hole.

I'm going to tell on myself now. When I read "The trout pictured next to the avalanche shovel the other day " I was looking at your dinner plate. The trout on your dinner plate next to the avalanche shovel turned into a fork next to the trout on your plate. Now I realize that an avalanche shovel is not a colloquial term for a fork.

I have to go change my shirt.

dumb.jpg

moose eater

I'm going to tell on myself now. When I read "The trout pictured next to the avalanche shovel the other day " I was looking at your dinner plate. The trout on your dinner plate next to the avalanche shovel turned into a fork next to the trout on your plate. Now I realize that an avalanche shovel is not a colloquial term for a fork.

I have to go change my shirt.

Note that half of the portion on the plate is the more or less boneless tail section from that hen trout.

One of the benefits of doing a solo trip out there (and there used to be more benefits, not so many the4se days) is that there's less competition for that fine boneless fillet at the tail. Fresh, anyway. The rest of the tails will be consumed after being frozen, back at home.

Younger son still doesn't have my freighter snowmobile finished, and if I have to take the lesser of the 2 machines, it'll most definitely affect the manner in which I pack, and what I take.

800 cc freighter has no alternative starting system other than electric (no pull-cord), and the starter is mounted underneath the engine, so if it cooks, and the thing gets shut down, there it'll sit until parts and a mechanic can attend to it.

The lesser of the 2 has been nearly completely redone, from tunnel to engine to chain case to clutch, but the original owner tore out the electric start. All it has for a starting system is the pull-cord at the recoil, the cord shows minor wear (or greater), rewinding a recoil spring in the bush, by hand, sitting at a kitchen table (yes, we've done that before) is a major hassle.

But there's a sizable che4ck sitting on the kitchen table for my younger boy, and you can bet he's ALL about getting on that immediately. Sent a text to his mother about that check this AM at about 1:30 that required fairly quick or immediate attention, as he was proposing coming out to snag his cash this AM, early. That, in itself, added fitting questions to his current reality perception; what makes you think your elderly mother is up reading texts in the wee hours of the night/morning?

Seems he's finally fully joined American culture. "My stuff matters more than most, and your stuff barely matters at all." He might maybe be writing foreign and domestic policy platforms in a few years, based on those assertions of priority and equity.

VenerableHippie

Note that half of the portion on the plate is the more or less boneless tail section from that hen trout.

Seems he's finally fully joined American culture. "My stuff matters more than most, and your stuff barely matters at all." He might maybe be writing foreign and domestic policy platforms in a few years, based on those assertions of priority and equity.

Well, all I have to say is: Strewth Cobber! All that writing about food. Funny how we are different. Funny hah hah, I mean. Don't care too much for the stuff myself. As long as I 'm fuelled up is all that matters.

Altho a chilled pitaya from the fridge on a hot day is nice. And a Custard Apple. And a Mango.

And my Mum's 'stovies' from years ago, maybe ...

Must go and have breakfast which will be the usual: poached egg on toast.

Pleasant trip, Moose!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Empty oyster shells? Another hazard? Over the years, it has become obvious to me that just visiting the damn ocean is dangerous, let alone living beside one. Sharks, tsunamis, violent storms, jelly fish – not to forget the constant wind, salt corrosion . . . the list is endless. Sure, it's an abundant source of food . . . but it all tastes like stinky salty fish rotting by the shore! And to top it all off, you can’t even drink it.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i try to ignore sharks (difficult) and forget jellyfish (impossible, after a wave break on you & wraps one over your shoulders)...rode out a hurricane in Daytona as a teenager. damn waves breaking against the sea walls & salt water in the pools...

VenerableHippie

Crikey, Guys! What a mess you've made of the Ocean.

I was born near the seashore. Well, a mile away probably so used to spend a bit of time there. The water was the problem to enjoying myself. As said previously it's salty and wet.

This was across the water from Denmark so you might appreciate it was also a bit cold from time to time. But I saw this amazing thunderstorm there once. Mum took my Sister in the pram and was going to walk us all into the ocean 'til we drowned but the storm came along and frightened shit out of us all except for Sister who slept on. The first time I 've ever seen ball lightning. Over the water. It was amazing!

So everything about the ocean is not bad.

Then came to Western Australia where the beach is a lifestyle in Annette Funicello kinda way. Noticed that the water was still salty and the waves were bigger. Never go there now.

buzzmobile

Veteran
We had some amazing thunderstorms rolling in from the Gulf of Mexico starting at about 5P yesterday and lasting until about 8A today. Lots of lightning cracking and popping kept Bonnie the Dog shivering and shaking. The rain gauge caught 7.56" of water from the sky in 15 hours. There are puddles.

VenerableHippie

We had some amazing thunderstorms rolling in from the Gulf of Mexico starting at about 5P yesterday and lasting until about 8A today. Lots of lightning cracking and popping kept Bonnie the Dog shivering and shaking. The rain gauge caught 7.56" of water from the sky in 15 hours. There are puddles.

Global warming. In eastern Australia there have been record breaking floods. The government is having conniptions! And a couple of years ago eastern Australia had massive fires the like of which has not been previously seen.

A year ago the Gov refused to believe climate change was real. The prime minister brought a lump of coal into parliament and waved it in the opposition's face. BUT despite fire and flood ... and new rhetoric supporting renewables (a glossy tv ad) the government is still underwriting coal and gas projects while emergency services get little money and renewables are seen to be a nuisance because they muddle up the transmission network with too much power at the time it's needed least.

And I believe in your state, Buzz, it's illegal to put up solar panels? WHAT?!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts