What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

buzzmobile

Veteran
VenerableHippie;n1809449 2 said:
Sitting at the PC. Gotta say something. Head's full of shit tho'. There's years of shit in there now.

Thought I 'd be famous or if not, rich. But it all fucked up. And now I 'm sitting here at the PC trying to find something interesting to communicate from all the shit in my head.

Thought I 'd be rich and famous but all I 've got is these boring fukn memories.

They keep on going round and round ...

This song popped into my head after reading your post.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
And just to report . . . the robins have returned to Toronto. I thought I heard one last weekend but I definitely saw some yesterday in the park. We have broken the back of winter once more.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
And just to report . . . the robins have returned to Toronto. I thought I heard one last weekend but I definitely saw some yesterday in the park. We have broken the back of winter once more.

i thought that too. 68 degrees today, down to colder than dammit tonight, and maybe as much as 4 to 6 inches of snow tonight & tomorrow. ol' man winters last gasp? hope so; got robins running everywhere here.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
No, it's not over but we are over the hump. Daylight savings time starts Sunday as well, but I don't think that I will put away the snowblower quite yet. :rasta:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Gypsum coated bunny treats...
20220311_135102.jpg

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Gypsum isn't really very tasty. I have eaten enough of it over the years while drywalling in various houses.

moose eater

I was told most of a couple of decades ago on this site that rabbit, sheep, and goat poop were the best of the best for natural farm animal-sourced fertilizers. Unfortunately, most of the manure of that sort up here comes with GOBS of straw mixed in.

--------------------------------------------------

Outdoors smells like ice fishing these days. Bright sun (when it's out) makes the snow into a glare so bright you can't stare too long, and the sky's emerald-blue when there's no clouds.

18-lb. lake trout caught in front of the main cabin around January 1st, 2022, maybe the last day of 2021. Not that long, but somewhat fat, and measuring a bit over 36" by looking at it.

Trouble will be shoveling through 4 ft. of snow to get down to ice and finding there's 12 to 16 inches of overflow underneath the fluff.

Time to start getting gear together, sorting lures, making sure the hooks that are attached are legal, and time to get cooking the various delicacies I'll be grubbing on- shrimp, andouille and chicken jambalaya, smoked baby back pork ribs, grilled country style boneless pork ribs (from pork butt), a couple of nice, evenly marbled ribeye steaks, some salmon salad, and who knows what? Maybe make up some vegan coleslaw to compensate for the dietary cheating I'll be engaged in while out there.

Still need to tumble the hash from the last harvest that occurred just before moose season last Fall.

Beer acquisitions for the trip into the bush are underway. I'll be taking some Guinness Extra Stout, Some Old Rasputin Imperial Russian Stout, and a dark lager (?) from Ayinger in Germany. Maybe a couple Grateful Red ales from Kenai Brewing Company for good measure.

Off to chores, and a puff of hash or three.

buzzmobile

Veteran
The menu items and beer list sound great; " shoveling through 4 ft. of snow to get down to ice and finding there's 12 to 16 inches of overflow underneath the fluff" not so great.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
4 feet of snow? fuck me, i think i'll stick to POSTCARDS of Alaska, and Outdoor Life stories about flyfishing there...plus, much less likely to be stomped by a moose or eaten by griz that way...😏

moose eater

4 feet of snow? fuck me, i think i'll stick to POSTCARDS of Alaska, and Outdoor Life stories about flyfishing there...plus, much less likely to be stomped by a moose or eaten by griz that way...😏

That's currently the compacted or settled snow depth. Just up the dirt road at the cut-off to Nabesna is the small community of Slana, and I'm told they had 7 ft. of snow this year, by a fellow whose parents live in his home there. Not sure if that's 7-ft. settled or 7-ft. in original measurement before compaction.

That source was supposedly headed into the lakes there this last week, so I'll be giving them a phone call to see what they know.

Another source last night told me they had folks out there recently and that there was substantial snow depth and overflow.

The trick seems to be to get information from folks who've been here long enough to not spook easily, not embellish due to a personal financial stake, and who know when it's appropriate to be concerned. Hopefully I speak with a few of them soon, more directly.

--------------------------------------------

Youngest son has his first snowmobile race of many this AM. Couldn't tell us an exact time last night, supposedly, and inquiries this AM go unanswered thus far. I assume he doesn't want us there, and that he has at least SOME idea as to when his race is. Folks who speak in indirectness and can't stand upright on their own legs offend me, even without the apparent interpersonal sleights in what has been a positive caring long-standing relationship. No lake trout or caribou for him, I guess.

--------------------------------------------

"(Every) journey of 1,000 miles starts with a single step.' Next move is to charge the batteries for the ice sonar/fish flasher, charge batteries for the satellite phone, sort the hooks, and finish digging out the grills for food preparation.

Then gather fuel for the truck and snowmobile, generator and ice augers. I typically take 2 powerheads on most trips out there, and 1 auger to fit them both, as that manufacturer makes all of their augers to fit their various models of powerheads (either a 10.25" diameter Lazer Mag 2000, or a 10" Lazer 3000, depending on which one.

Freight sleds are mostly dug out of the 4 ft. of snow standing currently in our yard, though it seems my younger son has misplaced my original barge sled, as well as the plywood platform for the rear of my freight machine, that holds an action-packer with 2 5-gallon jugs of fuel in it.

Used to having my sons to help organize, load, strap down, etc. Not this year. A test for an old grumpy man.

Still looking for whitefish to add to the bait collection, along with the lamprey eel and the herring, neither of which compare to the whitefish.

Last edited:

moose eater

Overflow a few years ago on a remote creek in the Alaska Range.

Much lesser snow depth, and less overflow, as well. Still a bitch to navigate through.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Goldking Creek overflow.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	18096990

moose eater

Got the whole-house surge protector hooked up recently. Now protected up to 22.5Ka and all of 900 joules. Not great, but better than nothing, for sure.

Better and more recent report form an acquaintance who was just into the lakes in the Wrangell-St. Elias Range, and though still a bit daunting, not as bad as originally stated by others.

Chicken, uncured andouille sausages and 21-25-count shrimp thawing for the jambalaya for the trip.

Teetering on heartache and low energy, and my younger son still hasn't checked the second CDI unit the source sent, to establish if it's as worthless as the first one they sent to us.

Tomorrow will be the jambalaya construction, e-kit sorting, tackle box sorting, and a good long nap.

After that, on to preparing other meals and collecting some beverages that aren't yet at our home.

Lists, lists, and more lists. It's a bitch getting WAY out into the middle of nowhere, only to find some integral part of the trip is 300 miles away at home. Getting laughed at for bringing too much gear is nearly always preferential to ending up needing something and finding it's nowhere to be found. A functional place for OCD demonstrations. Take the tools you have and run with them.

Speaking of which, I need to put a come-along, chainsaw, ropes and tarps onto the list.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unfortunate Lake Trout at Copper Lake Solo Trip.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	18098873

LAY DOWN (Candles In The Rain) FULL RECORDING Melanie & The Edwin Hawkins Singers ('70) - YouTube Music

Leo Kottke - Tiny Island - YouTube Music

Molly Tuttle Band - "Rain and Snow" - Radio Bristol Sessions - YouTube Music

Last edited:

moose eater

Not all lake trout look alike. Especially after life.

The trout pictured next to the avalanche shovel the other day from a previous solo trip into the mountains a number of years ago ended up spending the evening with me. Not sure she had as good a time as I did.

Ooh La La - YouTube Music

Click image for larger version  Name:	Copper Lake rice and trout dinner after some harmonica music on Solo Trip.JPG Views:	0 Size:	49.4 KB ID:	18100609