What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Guide to Fishsticks

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:afternoon campers...off to run errands in a bit,then garden chores and sticking a couple trays of cuts...forecast is for it to hit almost 70 today....so almost time to fire the coolers back up

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
It's nine here right now. Was a lot hotter earlier. Like about twelve maybe thirteen.

Just ate a whole chicken. With carrots and corn on the side. A little full now.

Akss

Were slightly above freezing at the moment but dropping fast supposed to be 9 in the morning with gale warnings... Couple chicken thighs in the oven with some spinach on the side...💪

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:watchplant:alrighty...got 62 cuts stuck....most of those are the chemd x runtz....took 4 of each plant,only need one to root of each so sorta wasteful,but you never know with pheno hunts,gotta keep them all until i can chop and smoke....and so far with the relentless stuff it's been hard to choose the keeper...and 10 cherry cookies....i have more cuttings,and three more plants not in flower so i can get a nice cc run going....always sells quick

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed: funny stuff on the local news...they just used the phrase "unseasonably cold" for tomorrow when it drops to a frigid 53 degrees

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
A919F802-C8BC-493C-92DE-3EB8ECB8078B.jpeg
thinking it’s supposed to be in the 20’s here a couple nights…..brrrrrr I can’t take it anymore.
Day 44, the small bud is just dangling on a floppy branch not getting much light….I have learned what 4 node topping means now and will do that from here on out.
2D8FE439-9BBD-420C-BB21-80FE51576023.jpeg

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
thinking it’s supposed to be in the 20’s here a couple nights…..brrrrrr I can’t take it anymore.
Day 44, the small bud is just dangling on a floppy branch not getting much light….I have learned what 4 node topping means now and will do that from here on out.

I do one or two nodes. Mostly one node unless the area is thin and needs to be filled.

But when I leave that node I also leave all the fan leaves below where I took the lower nodes from.

So I usually end up with 7-9 fans feeding that one node that I leave on the branch. So instead of one fan to feed each node I have 7-9 fans feeding that one node. And that node in up top in the light.

I shoot for one cola for every 6x6 inch area. That leaves me with nice dense colas. That one node turns into 7-9 buds with 2 fans feeding every bud instead of one fan for each bud. Twice as much food for the buds growth. And since they are in the light you get nice dense good sized buds.

And they trim fast as hell. Most plants I can trim 5-7 ounces per hour. That includes knocking the plant down, rough trimming, hanging and final trim.

I keep a note book for each plant with plant weight and time it took to trim. I also calculated how many grams per watt, number of colas in the room, and sometimes grams per cola.

I track most of what I do. That is why I only do one or two nodes. I loose about 5% in yield. But I increase my trim per hour. I cut the time down to 20% of what it was before when I left 6-7 nodes.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I like to unbalance my plants so they have more roots than foliage. Then force that growth to the best bud sites. Then give them enough fans to feed that growth so the plant grows what I want. Which is top quality bud.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Your suspicions were correct, Icky, there must be something in my water buffering my pH back up. Maybe my pH down just sucks.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the insight fellas, I'll try that. I don't soften my water, though. I have long suspected that my 'AnB naturals' pH down didn't have much hang time. My EZ- cloner goes up from 5.5 to 6.6 in four days or so, but I figured it was due to aeration. I also know the Espoma has Ca in it, and maybe it doesn't get used quickly enough between feedings...

I've dealt with similar issues. First time was when using suite leaf nutes. My tap water was coming out at 6.4 oh and 32ppm's.
I would mix my nutes and pH to 5.8..... after 24 hours it would rise to around 6.8. after talking to Dr. C (the scientist at s l) he decided my water had no buffer capability to maintain pH and neither does suiteleaf. His fix was to mix up pH up&down for me that had a buffer added in. It actually worked.
Also ran into this problem using soil and my well water that was around 50 ppm's. The problem there ended up being not enough lime in the soil mix.
Now we are using the same soil mix and water but feeding with floraflex nutes. When we mix the nutes at the recommended amount for amended soil the ph drops from 6.8 to 6.3 and remains there. Floraflex has added a buffer to the nute mix to overcome pH swings.
Some nute manufacturers add pH buffers to the mix and some don't is what I've found in my search for answers but with a just add water soil mix it's up to you to fix this issue I think gh adds a buffer to their pH up and down. I have the same issue with our cloner if I don't use gh to adjust pH. I've used a couple of other brands with pH rising problems but with gh it creeps up a couple of points over 2 weeks rather than a few hours.

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:mornin campers...gotta go check in a minute to see if the buds are dry enough to be binned...maybe the mac and cookies will be ready,but the other stuff was pretty chonky,and it's been cold at night...so trimming for the next few days...kinda hoping to sneak out for a ride today,kinda cool out today though...and i have custies buggin already...otherwise off from the garden...i should probably do something smart like wash the stack of pots before it gets too big if i'm not trimming....but of course i really don't want to do either!

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I've dealt with similar issues. First time was when using suite leaf nutes. My tap water was coming out at 6.4 oh and 32ppm's.
I would mix my nutes and pH to 5.8..... after 24 hours it would rise to around 6.8. after talking to Dr. C (the scientist at s l) he decided my water had no buffer capability to maintain pH and neither does suiteleaf. His fix was to mix up pH up&down for me that had a buffer added in. It actually worked.
Also ran into this problem using soil and my well water that was around 50 ppm's. The problem there ended up being not enough lime in the soil mix.
Now we are using the same soil mix and water but feeding with floraflex nutes. When we mix the nutes at the recommended amount for amended soil the ph drops from 6.8 to 6.3 and remains there. Floraflex has added a buffer to the nute mix to overcome pH swings.
Some nute manufacturers add pH buffers to the mix and some don't is what I've found in my search for answers but with a just add water soil mix it's up to you to fix this issue I think gh adds a buffer to their pH up and down. I have the same issue with our cloner if I don't use gh to adjust pH. I've used a couple of other brands with pH rising problems but with gh it creeps up a couple of points over 2 weeks rather than a few hours.

I've dealt with similar issue. But for me it was PH dropping down to like 4.0-4.5. My solution was to add a gallon of tap water before I added/mixed nutes, and to add the ph down before I mixed the nutes in.

I've mentioned this to others about buffering your water before hand when this PH swing issue happens. I know people have brushed me off and didn't believe me.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've dealt with similar issue. But for me it was PH dropping down to like 4.0-4.5. My solution was to add a gallon of tap water before I added/mixed nutes, and to add the ph down before I mixed the nutes in.

I've mentioned this to others about buffering your water before hand when this PH swing issue happens. I know people have brushed me off and didn't believe me.

Most municipal water supply has a pH buffer added in but not all.
as for adjusting ph it is best to add the up or down before adding nutes (especially when adding silica) but not always accurate

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Thanks Joe and Gano, I'll see if there is anything I can do to buffer the pH organically. Maybe some Ca and Mg added to the water before pH-ing?

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anybody run a Mitsubishi mini ?
My HVAC guy is trying to steer me towards a Bosch unit.
Supposedly 10 year warranty on both
3 ton units with a heat pump btw

Any feedback is appreciated,thanks

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anybody run a Mitsubishi mini ?
My HVAC guy is trying to steer me towards a Bosch unit.
Supposedly 10 year warranty on both
3 ton units with a heat pump btw

Any feedback is appreciated,thanks

Here's the deal with mini splits,
they are all pretty much the same as far as work ability and warranty.
The difference in warranty is how it is conducted. Major brands like Dakin, carrier, train, and a few others easier if you're a dealer but if you're not the warranty is pretty much useless. I installed a carrier mini a few months back and had to replace a sensor on the indoor part last week. Wasn't an issue because I'm a dealer but to get warranty you have to do a check list with tech support.
Mho is they all work great as long as they work. When they stop working, you may as well get a new one.