What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Guide to Fishsticks

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Random Post >>>
In February 2019, Mark Magee was scraping the bucket of his 45-ton excavator through a hillside when it hit something 30 feet down that wouldn’t budge.

It was high summer in the Southern Hemisphere, and Magee, a construction foreman, was clearing a platform for a new geothermal power plant near Ngāwhā, a tiny community in New Zealand’s Northland region, the long peninsula that stretches from the city of Auckland to the country’s northern tip.

He called in additional digger drivers to help. Gradually, as the machines peeled away the mudstone encasing the obstinate object, they realized it was a tree — and not an ordinary tree. More and more of it appeared, a seemingly endless log. When it lay uncovered, complete with a medusa-like rootball, it measured 65 feet long and 8 feet across, and weighed 65 tons.

It was a kauri tree, a copper-skinned conifer endemic to New Zealand. The indigenous Māori hold the species sacred and use its honey-colored softwood for traditional carvings and ocean-going canoes. Although this kauri tree had clearly been buried for thousands of years, Magee was astonished to see leaves and cones stuck to its underside that were still green.

The power company, Top Energy, called in a local sawmiller named Nelson Parker to examine Magee’s find. Parker, a champion woodchopper with powerful shoulders and a missing finger, had been digging up, processing, and selling kauri logs like this one since the early 1990s. As soon as his chainsaw bit into the bark, he knew from the color of the sawdust (dark yellow) and from the smell (subtle, resiny) that this tree was very old, and worth a lot of money.

Parker also knew that swamp kauri, as the buried trees are known, are worth a lot to science. One this large would be of special interest to a group of scientists who study the information that the ancient trees have coded into their rings. After removing the roots, he cut a four-inch-thick slice from the base of the trunk and sent it to them for analysis.
Click image for larger version  Name:	91ECB9A8-E016-4963-A9CB-2237BE9AC0EB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	17832586

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
unclefishstick (or anyone else) has anybody figured out how to multi quote when responding to a post:tumbleweed:?? Good Morning ... I got a head up over to Syracuse this morning for an MRI this time is my right shoulder , literally too much stress left me sort of physically & mentally handicapped since last August, I swear now I have three out of my four major joints with problems...ouch!

Sux getting old don't it

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
got the new fce4800 today

some assembly required...

I’m bringing an electrician over to the old farmhouse because I need to upgrade the electrical service in the entire home to 200 amp service and I want to outfit the garage with 10,000 W minimal

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
There’s still Much to learn about what New York State legalization will mean because they haven’t even figured it out yet but here’s something that caught my eye
The business of cannabis

Legal recreational marijuana, along with the expansion of the existing medical marijuana program and the hemp / cannabis / CBD industry, will be big business in New York state, advocates say.

Some of that activity is going to be especially good for Upstate New York business. Farms that grow cannabis, along with many of the new processing facilities, are and will continue to be located Upstate.

Certain other provisions will help spur the local economy, said Kaelan Castetter, a partner in Empire Standard, a Binghamton-based hemp grower and processor.

The new law, for example, will allow for cannabis “microbusinesses,” which will be able to grow and produce marijuana and allow consumption onsite, similar to farm breweries and wineries with their tasting rooms.

“That would be huge for tourism Upstate,” Castetter said.

Currently, New York is home to about 700 cannabis growers. Aside from the licensed medical providers, the others grow industrial hemp, a relative of marijuana that does not have the same level of THC, which provides the marijuana “high.”
I focus on THC :smoke out:

Akss

Afternoon peeps... Well close enough anyway. Having some kielbasa with some brussel sprouts for lunch..speaking of cbd got 3 harlequin little ladies up... Seeing i culled the best pheno i had from the last ones smh. Looks like a bunch of rain coming... Better than snow:)
IMG_20210415_114316617.jpg

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:mornin campers...busy day,lots of errands to run,then back home to chop the second half of the main room...the HLG600 gets here today...gonna be a busy weekend...should have both coolers running,and the main room cleaned and all the new equipment installed and the first batch of plants in place...then i can clean the veg tents,do some up-potting and get the second round of plants ready for the main room and get the backlog in veg dealt with...two more weeks of stuff to deal with then by may i should be set up for the summer,and finally have time to ride again...

Latest posts

Latest posts