What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Imid causes honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder ( Imidacloprid )

Imid causes honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder ( Imidacloprid )

• Yes, I'm currently using it.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Yes, but I'm considering not using it anymore

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I did before, but no longer.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No, I've never used IMID

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters

BudToker

Veteran
Source Article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid

Researchers recreate bee collapse with pesticide-laced corn syrup

320px-Honeybee-cooling_cropped.jpg

Scientists with the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) have re-created the mysterious Colony Collapse Disorder in several honeybee hives simply by giving them small doses of a popular pesticide, imidacloprid. Bee populations have been dying mysteriously throughout North America and Europe since 2006, but the cause behind the decline, known as Colony Collapse Disorder, has eluded scientists. However, coming on the heels of two studies published last week in Science that linked bee declines to neonicotinoid pesticides, of which imidacloprid is one, the new study adds more evidence that the major player behind Colony Collapse Disorder is not disease, or mites, but pesticides that began to be widely used in the 1990s.

Past research has shown that neonicotinoid pesticides, which target insects' central nervous system, do not instantly kill bees. However, to test the effect of even small amounts of these pesticides on western honeybees (Apis mellifera), Harvard researchers treated 16 hives with different levels of imidacloprid, leaving four hives untreated. After 12 weeks, the bees in all twenty hives—treated and untreated—were alive, though those treated with the highest does of imidacloprid appeared weaker. But by 23 weeks everything had changed: 15 out of the 16 hives (94 percent) treated with imidacloprid underwent classic Colony Collapse Disorder: hives were largely empty with only a few young bees surviving. The adults had simply vanished. The hives that received the highest doses of imidacloprid collapsed first. Meanwhile the five untreated hives were healthy

"There is no question that neonicotinoids put a huge stress on the survival of honey bees in the environment," lead author Chensheng (Alex) Lu, an associate professor at the HSPH, told mongabay.com. "The evidence is clear that imidacloprid is likely the culprit for Colony Collapse Disorder via a very unique mechanism that has not been reported until our study,"

That mechanism? High-fructose corn syrup. Many bee-keepers have turned to high-fructose corn syrup to feed their bees, which the researchers say did not imperil bees until U.S. corn began to be sprayed with imidacloprid in 2004-2005. A year later was the first outbreak of Colony Collapse Disorder.

It doesn't take much to eventually kill the bees accord to Lu, who said an incredibly small amount (20 parts per billion) of imidacloprid was enough to lead to Colony Collapse Disorder within 6 months.

More evidence

Lu's research follows two widely-reported studies last week that also linked Colony Collapse Disorder to neonicotinoid pesticides.

A U.K. team exposed buff-tailed bumblebees (Bombus terrestris) to small doses of imidacloprid, and placed the bees in an enclosed natural setting where they could forage free. After six weeks (a far shorter time than Lu's study), the team weighed the nests and compared them with control colonies that had not been exposed. Treated colonies were on average 8-12 percent smaller than the colonies that had not been exposed, which implies that exposed bees were not gathering as much food. However, even more alarming was the case of the missing queens. Pesticide-exposed colonies produced 85 percent fewer queens: a total of only around 1-2 queens per hive. Queens are the most important bees in a colony, since they found new colonies after winter when all the other bees perish.

A second study, this one conducted in France, shows directly how neonicotinoid pesticides may be impacting bees, eventually leading to the collapse of the colony. Researchers glued tiny microchips to free-ranging western honeybees in order to track their movements. They then administered small does of a different neonicotinoid pesticide, called thiamethoxam, to a portion of the bees. Exposed bees were two to three times more likely to not return from foraging excursions than unexposed bees.

Their findings imply that neonicotinoid pesticide weakens a bees' homing ability, so instead of returning to the hive, the bee gets lost and perishes. This would explain why hives impacted by Colony Collapse Disorder are found largely empty of worker bees: the pesticide theoretically impacts their ability to find their way home.

It has taken a long time to understand the link between Colony Collapse Disorder and neonicotinoid pesticides, because scientists were looking for an instant-killer, and not something that caused slow deaths over several months, says Lu. In addition he adds that scientists ignored "the fact that the timeline of increasing use of neonicotinoids coincides with the decline of bee populations."

Lu says policy makers "need to examine the effect of sub-lethal doses of pesticides throughout the life cycle of the test model (in this case honey bees)." He further notes the depending on LD50 findings (i.e. a lethal dose that results in the death of half of the specimens tested) "is not relevant to the modern day chemical toxicity testing." In other words, regulators need to start testing the long-term impacts of chemicals in the environment, and not simply focused on whether or not they instantly kill test subjects.

Bees play vital roles in a wide-variety of ecosystems as pollinators. In turn they provide massive economic benefits to human society, both through the production of honey and, even more importantly, the pollination of a large variety of fruits, vegetables, nuts, and flower crops. The economic value of honeybees in the U.S. alone has been estimated at $8-12 billion.

CITATIONS:

Chensheng Lu, Kenneth M. Warchol, Richard A. Callahan. In situ replication of honey bee colony collapse disorder. Bulletin of Insectology. 2012.

M. Henry; O. Rollin; J. Aptel; S. Tchamitchian; M. Beguin; F. Requier; O. Rollin; A. Decourtye. A Common Pesticide Decreases Foraging Success and Survival in Honey Bees. Science. 2012.

P.R. Whitehorn; S. O’Connor; D. Goulson; F.L. Wackers. Neonicotinoid Pesticide Reduces Bumble Bee Colony Growth and Queen Production. Science. 2012.

supermanlives

Veteran
save the fucking bees or superman is gonna kick your ass. LOL i do my best in the city to provide flowers and such for em. in return i get good veggie yields. wanna get a hive but its a touchy issue in the city. still thinking about it anyhow. cityfarmers has the gear and know how.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would have expected long term studies on bees to be part of any approval system for a pesticide , looks like they just did LD50 tests.

If that is the case then pretty much every pesticide/herbicide in common usage needs retesting with urgency , glysophate first up.

Plenty of lost hives locally , all blamed on parasites despite expensive treatments , if its imid at least we can fix it.

S

SeaMaiden

This science is calling into question the use of all neonicotinoids, not just imidacloprid. And pyrethrins, and maybe even Bacillus thuringiensis products.

Nothing is a panacea.

But will the companies that make this shit - or similar poisons - ever accept the financial burden they have put all the farmers in? Not a chance - their heavily paid employees in gov't (read OUR representatives) will shill and obfuscate for them, and they won't actually ever pay a cent.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
its not just the pesticides that are causing their problems,, diet is a big factor as well from poor variety of nectar producing plants,, as well as other factors which wear them down as a hive,,

i always knew that most of these pesticides affected bees on some level,, as did most entomologists worth their salt,,

a big part of the problem is also the ever lowering water table which is bad for all insect life and plant diversity in general, it has only gotten quantitatively worse for the last 30+ years as more and more rain water lands on concrete and is stolen by the powers that be,,

relatively there is basically no insect life compared to what it was like just a few decades ago,,

Last edited:

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From 2009

Pesticides not a serious threat to bees - Defra
2 November 2009 | By William Surman

DEFRA has angered anti-pesticide campaigners after it claimed chemical sprays were not to blame for the sharp decline in British bee numbers.

During parliamentary questions last week, the Department also defended the use of public money to investigate the health of bees in a jointly funded research project with the pesticide manufacturers Syngenta.
Bees contribute up to £200 million to the agricultural economy every year, mainly through crop pollination and honey production, but a combination of disease, a changing climate and poor bee husbandry has led to a 15 per cent decline in their numbers in just two years.

This has lead to a flurry of research projects from Defra, worth over £4 million, to arrest the decline but critics argue the threat of pesticides is being ignored.

Dan Norris, Defra minister, told MPs in the House of Commons that the Government took the drop in bee numbers ‘very seriously’ but said adequate measures were already in place to protect bees against harmful sprays.

“There is no evidence that authorised pesticides pose an unacceptable risk,” he said.
But a documentary released in UK cinemas last month claims otherwise.

Vanishing of the Bees blames the spread of neonicotinoid pesticides for the decline in bee colonies.

Further, Syngenta’s neonicotinoid pesticide, thiamexotham, was recently described as ‘deadly to honey bees’ by an American study.

The Government’s decision to commit public money to a £1 million joint research venture with Syngenta has therefore been met with some scepticism.

David Taylor, MP for North West Leicestershire, questioned whether a project, part funded by a pesticide manufacturer, would ‘fully investigate the links between neonicotinoids and the collapse in bee numbers’.
However, Defra reassured Mr Taylor that no stone would go unturned in its investigations.

“We will, of course, consider all the research, including that commissioned by pesticide companies, into this important issue, but we will also ensure that the highest possible standards are maintained,” said Defra’s Mr Norris.

Bees seem to do fine on some mono cultures like heather , maybe a diet of rape pollen is lacking something.

More money has been wasted on poxy pandas than important environmental research on essential bees.

S

SeaMaiden

God DAMN! FINALLY, someone said it! The fucking pandas drive me UP THE WALL. You're 100% right, foomar, that money's been wasted, while China has to hand pollinate their crops.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
its not just the pesticides that are causing their problems,, diet is a big factor as well from poor variety of nectar producing plants,, as well as other factors which wear them down as a hive,,

i always knew that most of these pesticides affected bees on some level,, as did most entomologists worth their salt,,

a big part of the problem is also the ever lowering water table which is bad for all insect life and plant diversity in general, it has only gotten quantitatively worse for the last 30+ years as more and more rain water lands on concrete and is stolen by the powers that be,,

relatively there is basically no insect life compared to what it was like just a few decades ago,,

examples of the greatest extinctor ... loss of habitat.

supermanlives

Veteran
the local organic nursery here in sd. city farmers has the classes on beekeeping and all the gear. think i am gonna check it out this year

Skip

Veteran
I'm glad they finally figured out what it is, or at least one of the causes.

The remedy is simple! Stop feeding the bees High Fructose Corn Syrup and stop spraying Imid and like chemicals on all crops!

Molson

isn't high fructose corn syrup the #1 sweetener used by the u.s. food industry?

Yes. But Beekeepers use it as a supplemental food source. The reason they do it is that its cheaper than feeding alternatives. Beekeeping is a dying industry. Costs of maintaining a apiary are high, especially when half your hives (or more) die due to CCD.

When you truck 1,000 hives to California for the almond crop and half the hives aren't fully functional/die once you get there.... well... you don't get paid for half-healthy half-full hives. You eat the costs.

Regarding the article... CCD is a very complex issue. I haven't read the article (but I have read many other older ones investigating the link between sub-lethal levels of pesticides to CCD) and think the jury is still out on CCD. There are too many factors involved. Stress being a very likely culprit. You can't feed your hives sub-par fuel then truck them around across the country for half the year and expect your bees to be happy.

It's a catch 23 situation though. Farmers have to use pesticides. Pesticides kill insects. Bees are insects. But farmers need bees for pollination. So how do you kill the bad guys but make your crops safe for bees? Tricky situation.

My guess is that the honey bee will be phased out eventually... and what we'll have is some Australian/African/Hybrid that is resilient to pesticides/stress.

For anyone seriously interested in CCD I recommend "Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honey Bee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis" (2009). Very informative and easy read for the layman. Doesn't point the finger at one source, but considers all the possible culprits.

A good documentary to go with this is "Vanishing of the Bees" (2011).

EDIT: Link to the paper published in the Bulletin of Insectology for anyone whos interested. In situ replication of honey bee colony collapse disorder

Skip

Veteran
Yes, folks, this is the crap being sprayed on all non-organic commercial farms as a pesticide, and as you can see it easily enters the food chain, it has already killed billions of bees, perhaps as much as 90% of the US population of bees. And we ingest this pesticide in so many ways.

Bees also fly thru the crops that are sprayed and so they get it that way too, in addition to being fed it.

So just how safe are WE if bees die from it within a year? People are eating TONS of High Fructose corn syrup and other foods laced with this pesticide. What are the long-term cumulative effects of this? Nobody knows is the answer, but we are starting to see evidence of how deadly it can be. HFCS has other health issues associated with it already.

I encourage all "farmers" to do research into the chemicals they use on their crops, whatever they're growing. Realize that sick people, some with weakened immune systems are consuming their products...

The bee keepers of America should sue the manufacturers of IMID for their losses. That'll send a message to the chemical companies they will be held liable for massive losses due to marketing dangerous products.

But don't expect Monsanto to suffer. They don't manufacture that chemical apparently because it's off patent and thus not profitable enough cause anyone can make it.

I just did a google search for imid and cannabis, and lo and behold, an ICMAG thread came up second! Here's a thread where IMID is mentioned and identified as one of the more popular insecticides being used by cannabis growers. And the OP seems to be encouraging ppl to use it!

How many of you growers are using IMID on your cannabis? I started a poll.

S

SeaMaiden

But it's not just imidacloprid that's a potential problem for bees. It's ALL nicotinoid pesticides, all of them. Pyrethrin-type insecticides may also be causing problems. In fact, it may be that most insecticides, because they're apparently not tested for safety specifically with honey bees, are problematic.

The bigger problem we have with pot growers is their extremely casual use of all "cides" without even reading the label through first. Eagle20, known to cause resistance in PM fungi, we have a thread on that. How many people are banging at their hydro shop's doors or eBaying for that shit? Floramite is no longer effective for spider mites in SoCal (at least, not the mites growing at my folks' place), and there are mites resistance to NPS strips.

Bees don't have the same biological mechanisms to handle these chemicals, but many of the organisms we're trying to fight DO. Before we know it, we'll be hand-pollinating our food crops just like I read happens in some areas of China. At least they have the people-power.

G

guest 77721

Do the bees a favour and stop putting chemicals on your lawns.

I found out that the broad leafed weed killer eliminates white clover on your lawn which is far more sensitive to the herbicides than the weeds.

Most of the weeds like dandelions like low pH soils and will drive the pH down over time. The best herbicide of all is Dolomitic Lime which raises the pH and is a mild source of Mg and Ca.

The last couple of years, I've spread DL and reseeded with grass seed mixed with some clover. The clover fills in where the grass won't.