What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Imid causes honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder ( Imidacloprid )

Imid causes honeybee Colony Collapse Disorder ( Imidacloprid )

• Yes, I'm currently using it.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Yes, but I'm considering not using it anymore

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I did before, but no longer.

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • No, I've never used IMID

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From an old MSDS sheet , if bees are particularly sensitive to pesticide levels , you would expect fast and serious research into longterm low level exposure , how the hell did this take so long to come to light.

Acute Oral LD50 (rat): 609 mg/kg
Acute Dermal LD50 (rabbit) : >2,000 mg/kg
Eye Irritation (rabbit): Non-irritating
Skin Irritation (rabbit): Slight irritant
Inhalation LC50 (female rat): 3.18 mg/L (4 hr).
Skin Sensitization (guinea pig): Not a sensitizer
Carcinogenic Potential: None listed in OSHA, NTP, ACGIH, or IARC.
Target Organs: None listed.

This pesticide is highly toxic to birds and aquatic invertebrates. For terrestrial uses, do not apply directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present or to inter-tidal areas below the mean high water mark.

Imidacloprid is highly toxic to bees if used as a foliar application, especially during flowering, but is not considered a hazard to bees when used as a seed treatment

S

SeaMaiden

How about just getting rid of your lawns? We've never planted one and never will.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A third of our turnover is from laying turf , another third from grasscutting and the rest from tree surgery and injecting knotweed with glysophate.

More than likely going to eco hell , but do the best we can to avoid collateral damage and minimise impact.

Personally hate a close cropped or striped lawn , dont mind a few weeds and would never spray an ornamental with pesticides , grow plants that are tougth instead , my garden looks like a bomb site but it full of wildlife , unlike the green desert fields over the fence.

Native wild bee species are still thriveing in my garden , easy to attract with simple nest structures , and feed off everything all season.

In commercial grounds maintenance , a wild natural garden costs at least as much to maintain as formalised beds , and will swiftly revert to scrub , brambles , and knotweed if left to nature.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so what needs to happen is a scientist needs to genetically engineer a bee that has no stinger and cant be killed by pesticides.

djonkoman

Veteran
bees without stinger would be defenseless against animals raiding their nest for honey, like mice, rats etc. (ants raid them too, but with ants they blow them away with their wings so would probably not be a big issue without stingers)

personally I've never been stung by a bee, only by wasps. bees aren't as quick to sting

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

before selling my aunts old lake home in '94 I had to clean it, this is what I found in her basement storage room: DDT concentrate must add to water, two cans of lead additive for house paint and a fucking stack of asbestos roofing tiles. Me and the old timer acting as guardian to her estate were howling with laughter over coffee the next morning when I told him of my find.......

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
pretty sure Imid is a main ingredient in flea and tick repellant for dogs and cats. I bet a bunch of people are using it and are unaware.

YEP K9 Advantix, not sure about cats...

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bees without stinger would be defenseless against animals raiding their nest for honey, like mice, rats etc. (ants raid them too, but with ants they blow them away with their wings so would probably not be a big issue without stingers)

personally I've never been stung by a bee, only by wasps. bees aren't as quick to sting

ok then they can keep their stingers. It is like the second amendment for bees.

S

SeaMaiden

california people....sheesh.....or you could just not dump needless chemicals on it?
But that's not the only issue with keeping lawns. There's the water issue, folks in Georgia and Texas probably still remember summers of nothing but brown lawns and dirty cars. Then there's the fact that it's yet another form of monoculture. Then there's the fact that it offers nothing except an itchy place to set your ass down onto.

OR! You could grow a nice species of oxalis/clover, add N to the soil, softer than grass, needs less mowing (read: effort), and if it's a native species it won't need a lot of extra care. AND! Wanna know what the best part about using that instead would be? More BEES!

In other words, my choice to not grow a lawn has less to do with the chemicals than any of the other reasons to not have a lawn I've listed above.

But that's not the only issue with keeping lawns. There's the water issue, folks in Georgia and Texas probably still remember summers of nothing but brown lawns and dirty cars. Then there's the fact that it's yet another form of monoculture. Then there's the fact that it offers nothing except an itchy place to set your ass down onto.

OR! You could grow a nice species of oxalis/clover, add N to the soil, softer than grass, needs less mowing (read: effort), and if it's a native species it won't need a lot of extra care. AND! Wanna know what the best part about using that instead would be? More BEES!

In other words, my choice to not grow a lawn has less to do with the chemicals than any of the other reasons to not have a lawn I've listed above.

clover bruises when you walk on it.less bees on my front lawn = good. my lawn is thick enough that it chokes out weeds, no chemicals needed.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
it's a hit on the bees by monsanto, i tell you. they don't want their gentics being spread by the little guys, they tried suing people but that didn't work, so now they've resorted to dirty work, offing the poor little guys.

RetroGrow

Veteran
examples of the greatest extinctor ... loss of habitat.

Caused by too many people....but that subject is taboo.
Our leaders won't talk about it, let alone do something about it.
So it looks like all other life forms are doomed.

RetroGrow

Veteran
pretty sure Imid is a main ingredient in flea and tick repellant for dogs and cats. I bet a bunch of people are using it and are unaware.

YEP K9 Advantix, not sure about cats...

Yes, it's been used for decades as a flea killer, not just repellent. It breaks their life cycle and completely eliminates fleas in your home.

S

SeaMaiden

I discovered back when I moved up to the Lake Tahoe area that if you live at altitude, you have NO FLEAS! Ticks yes, fleas no. Pretty fucking cool if you ask me.
clover bruises when you walk on it.less bees on my front lawn = good. my lawn is thick enough that it chokes out weeds, no chemicals needed.
We get a couple of different species up here that only die in winter, can handle almost anything except being driven on top of. I'll add this to my list of reasons for not having a lawn... ok, two things--we live on quite a slope and it's extremely rocky. Also (yes, yet another reason) I don't expect grass to grow well on top of clay+rock without being worked a great deal.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Yes, it's been used for decades as a flea killer, not just repellent. It breaks their life cycle and completely eliminates DOG fleas in your home.

i guess my point is youre turning your dog into a walking poison distributor.

Your dogs K9 Advantix isnt going to protect you from human fleas, as they wont bite the dog...

S

sweetypie

If planting clover go with the white Dutch variety, bees can work it much better. I think the loss of habitat and food supply is a huge factor.

Latest posts

Latest posts