Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

I know this is a doomed thread, but this is just so interesting to look at.
    So there's this government site that shows radar images of the northern icecap: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
    And it making a run at new low. From what I can see the NorthEast passage will open in August, maybe sooner than August. NorthWest passage looks early too.
    I just enjoy watching the pics, but hey, that's just me.
    current grow: www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=7872194

Strangely enough I haven't looked at the north pole lately....Santa drops by once a year to let me know what's going on up there tho.

It's not good :(

Comment

lol might be the last generations to actually see it, probably not though. but it was a lot smaller the last time i checked, few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by sso View Post
        lol might be the last generations to actually see it, probably not though. but it was a lot smaller the last time i checked, few years back.
        2007 was the big low from what i read, but it seems to have crept a bit below that
        i think it's cool that you've been able to take a ship through there over to Japan the last few years, getting to be a regular event

Comment

Comment

Does anybody know a forum where you are allowed talk about stuff like this? Obviously they will delete anything to do with global warming or over population or such around here.

here is a graph since 79

My personal garden:
            https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=211246

Comment

what about the polar bears

Comment

i hope this can just be about watching the pics, no bad politics need enter
                right after, i will phone up obama and convince him to delist mj from the controlled substances list - probably both have the same chance

Comment

Originally posted by 303hydro View Post
                  Does anybody know a forum where you are allowed talk about stuff like this? Obviously they will delete anything to do with global warming or over population or such around here.

here is a graph since 79

Could you maybe tell us what the units are along the Y axis???

Comment

volume of ice cap?

Comment

It's some sort of ice mass unit such as square miles...

The point is, IT WILL BE GONE IN LESS THAN 25 YEARS.

Here is a better graph, there is tons of info out there.

Last edited by 303hydro; 07-12-2011, 01:09. Reason: i said land mass instead of ice mass

My personal garden:
                      https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=211246

Comment

Oil companies are chomping at he bit to drill the NW passage.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
                          I think the north pole is rich in diamonds too, the melting ice just makes all the good stuff easier to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
                            Oh yeah, there is some sweet stuff opening up
                            they look to have a long season this year(my guess)
                            i'm think the northeast passage may open in 2 weeks or so, it's been speeding up though there, but that can change just as fast

Comment

Speaking of the north pole, anyone hear about the polar bears? I guess they usually swim to the big ice packs every summer. Past few years they've noticed that because of global warming the big ice packs are now hundreds of miles further than normal, and they've spotted and tracked bears swimming like 800 miles, just weeks of swimming and they lose like 35% of their body weight. Guess its getting worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X