What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

igrowone

Veteran
I know this is a doomed thread, but this is just so interesting to look at.
So there's this government site that shows radar images of the northern icecap: http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
And it making a run at new low. From what I can see the NorthEast passage will open in August, maybe sooner than August. NorthWest passage looks early too.
I just enjoy watching the pics, but hey, that's just me.

sso

Veteran
lol might be the last generations to actually see it, probably not though. but it was a lot smaller the last time i checked, few years back.

igrowone

Veteran
lol might be the last generations to actually see it, probably not though. but it was a lot smaller the last time i checked, few years back.

2007 was the big low from what i read, but it seems to have crept a bit below that
i think it's cool that you've been able to take a ship through there over to Japan the last few years, getting to be a regular event

I

Iron_Lion

head%20in%20sand.gif

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
Does anybody know a forum where you are allowed talk about stuff like this? Obviously they will delete anything to do with global warming or over population or such around here.

here is a graph since 79

blog_arctic_sea_ice.jpg

igrowone

Veteran
i hope this can just be about watching the pics, no bad politics need enter
right after, i will phone up obama and convince him to delist mj from the controlled substances list - probably both have the same chance

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Does anybody know a forum where you are allowed talk about stuff like this? Obviously they will delete anything to do with global warming or over population or such around here.

here is a graph since 79

blog_arctic_sea_ice.jpg

Could you maybe tell us what the units are along the Y axis???

303hydro

Veteran
It's some sort of ice mass unit such as square miles...

The point is, IT WILL BE GONE IN LESS THAN 25 YEARS.

Here is a better graph, there is tons of info out there.

arctic-sea-ice-future-coverage-2035.jpg

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
Oil companies are chomping at he bit to drill the NW passage.

Oh yeah, there is some sweet stuff opening up
they look to have a long season this year(my guess)
i'm think the northeast passage may open in 2 weeks or so, it's been speeding up though there, but that can change just as fast

H

H^2o2

Speaking of the north pole, anyone hear about the polar bears? I guess they usually swim to the big ice packs every summer. Past few years they've noticed that because of global warming the big ice packs are now hundreds of miles further than normal, and they've spotted and tracked bears swimming like 800 miles, just weeks of swimming and they lose like 35% of their body weight. Guess its getting worse.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Remember the video of the sea lion on the chunk of ice and the killer whale waiting for it to fall in the water? I wonder if a kw would fuck with a polar bear in the same situation?

I know, crazy thought. Just trying not to veer toward the polys.:)

igrowone

Veteran
Remember the video of the sea lion on the chunk of ice and the killer whale waiting for it to fall in the water? I wonder if a kw would fuck with a polar bear in the same situation?

I know, crazy thought. Just trying not to veer toward the polys.:)

that is a wild thought, this has had to have happened at some point
bears are in the water, killer whales are in the water

T

thesloppy

Speaking of the north pole, anyone hear about the polar bears? I guess they usually swim to the big ice packs every summer. Past few years they've noticed that because of global warming the big ice packs are now hundreds of miles further than normal, and they've spotted and tracked bears swimming like 800 miles, just weeks of swimming and they lose like 35% of their body weight.

I don't see the problem. Those polar bears are going to get ripped, and will probably get mad pussy, bro.

303hydro

Veteran
I don't see the problem. Those polar bears are going to get ripped, and will probably get mad pussy, bro.

Their main food is seal meat. They catch them buy standing above breathing holes on the ice. No Ice = No Seal Meat.

Latest posts

Latest posts