What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

mudballs

If you wanna play eco warrior that's more based in real life...make sure the smog like in hong kong, etc. doesn't breach a certain landmass area..

Finepointcanon

Veteran
Modern humans evolved 200,000-300,000 years ago. Genus Homo around 2-3 millions years ago. Humans have never existed during a time when the Earth was over 2c over pre-industrial levels, which is what you are saying. Even genus Homo emerged at a time where the temperature was around 2c and it has not surpassed that since.

As igrowone pointed out, the issue is not that we will reach 2c, although that will cause widespread death and disaster for much of the tropical regions (like mine), but that we are set to surpass it by 2040 -60 (conservatively) with no natural process to return to baseline temperature.

The shifts from 0-2c which took place every 100,000 years were caused by orbital cycles. Which means that they stopped around 2c, and then returned. This has happened over 150 years and is not an orbital cycle. We know what is causing it, and instead of reigning it in we are increasing the magnitude of the cause as the rest of the world races to industrialize. It will not stop at 2c and return or else this wouldn't even be an issue.

Oh trust me, I lived for a year in Ha Noi, and currently live in a basin surrounded by crop-burning zones. I'm with you on the smog, though containing it does not do much for the people who live in those areas. Funnily enough, the best way to eliminate smog is... stop burning fossil-fuels and other carbon sources. Even if you have some sort of mental fortress around the idea of climate-change, we should be able to agree that the time for burning fossil-fuels has passed if we want a healthy home.

Rgd

Veteran
ok guys..

so from all these charts and stuff..

plus all the amazing enviro-sleuthing done here

we have now acertained that we are at the start of an other ICE AGE?

..thought so

Rgd

Veteran
the weather here today is a carbon[pardon bathe pun] copy of what I remember 65 years ago.

...and last year..

..and the year before..

I am sure I can find a day [or days] this summer that will support somebody claiming something

ps..the way “climate” is measured now seems a bit like what the definition of a vaccine is now..

Latest posts

Latest posts