What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
OK--everyone smoke a fatty and ponder this: System Analysis.

In physics there are three types of systems: "Isolated system" (no exchange of matter or energy--very rare in the real world except in laboratories), "closed system" (no exchange of matter but there is an exchange of energy), and an "open system" (exchange of both matter and energy).

OK?

Comparing the planet Earth to other celestial bodies we can safely put "Earth" in the "closed system" category. Very few particles (matter) leave Earth and transferred to outer space...but we receive heat/radiation (energy) from the Sun that is later discharged to "space" from Earth as well.

But when examining the components of Earth, we can divide our world into four spheres with names derived from the Greek words for stone (litho), air (atmo), water (hydro), and life (bio).

Lithosphere (earth's crust), atmosphere (air that surrounds Earth), hydrosphere (all waters on earth) and biosphere (living organisms) are ALL considered by scientists as operating as "open systems".

OK?

So my questions are (smoke that fatty now)---

Which "sphere" is influencing "climate change" (aka global warming, aka global cooling)?

Which "sphere" must be changed to prevent further "climate change"?

BTW anyone know why satellite pics of the south pole--all seem to have a white fuzzy circle (like it was digitally altered)? Funny how the pics of the north pole all show a fat guy wearing red feeding reindeer--no white fuzzy circle).

St. Phatty

One of the most obvious examples of man-made Climate Change =

Wildfire.

Chile, for example.

2016's 1.25 million acre blaze in Canada - in May.

2016's multiple large blazes in California - in June. (Normally California has wildfire problems in the fall, when the winds become a factor.)

Mainly because ... natural CO2 supplementation levels are well above the 389 ppm levels recommended in old Cannabis grow books.

So plants are growing like - wildfire !

I don't think mankind will successfully deal with Climate Change.

The 350.org project is so un-realistic.

Sometimes it's good to have un-realistic goals ... I don't think this is one of those times.

Major other issues - massive disruption at the North Pole.

Fukushima poisoning the North Pacific, which also has to contend with the Plastic Patch.

But, as an old finance prof used to say,

"You have to enjoy the short term to enjoy the long-term".

I found this article illuminating -

good luck New Jersey ... but luck won't help much

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ldfire-disaster-happen-in-new-jersey-20160420

Very similar to the set-up for the 92/93 Oakland Hills fire, which I happened to witness.

People build homes in forested areas, lose track of important numbers like, pounds of combustible fuel per acre.

Gry

That depends on what one's description of success might be.

Neat link, Sadly only a matter of time.

igrowone

Veteran
That depends on what one's description of success might be.

Neat link, Sadly only a matter of time.

could be true
i'll stick with optimism, i think we will deal with it
but the deal will hit hard, big changes. and what a hard sell it will be

DocTim420

Assuming "mankind" is the problem (ignoring the fact that cow flatulence contributes more greenhouse gas than mankind and all of his machines combined)...AND since mankind is just a small percentage of "biosphere" population, then how much "change" to "climate change" can mankind really effect? Make and insert butt plugs in cows? LOL!

Remember--in an "open system" configuration, a reduction of something "here" does not equate to an increase of something "there" (for that would be a characteristic of a "closed system".) In other words, if all stoners in So Cali farted at the same time...our combined flatulence would not increase the snow melting in the Sierras...much yet diminish a single milligram of ice in North Pole.

Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas?

igrowone

Veteran
Assuming "mankind" is the problem (ignoring the fact that cow flatulence contributes more greenhouse gas than mankind and all of his machines combined)...AND since mankind is just a small percentage of "biosphere" population, then how much "change" to "climate change" can mankind really effect? Make and insert butt plugs in cows? LOL!

Remember--in an "open system" configuration, a reduction of something "here" does not equate to an increase of something "there" (for that would be a characteristic of a "closed system".) In other words, if all stoners in So Cali farted at the same time...our combined flatulence would not increase the snow melting in the Sierras...much yet diminish a single milligram of ice in North Pole.

Does the flap of a butterfly’s wings in Brazil set off a tornado in Texas?

depends on one's belief, if you believe those are the problem sources then that is a less tractable problem
others believe the mainstream science, which is fossil fuels are the primary source
those can be addressed, although with considerable inconvenience

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Assuming "mankind" is the problem (ignoring the fact that cow flatulence contributes more greenhouse gas than mankind and all of his machines combined)...AND since mankind is just a small percentage of "biosphere" population, then how much "change" to "climate change" can mankind really effect?

Damn all those wild cows setting up shop in beef/dairy farms the world over. We should really stop them before they cause some serious damage to the earth! We humans should really do something about this problem that is completely unrelated to our actions and choices before they really mess things up for us. Those selfish cows!

St. Phatty

It can be difficult to contemplate in its entirety.

Give me some tasty Forum Cannabis and I might be able to come up with a Unified Field Theory of Climate Change & cow farts.

If methane is that much worse than CO2, it might be better to burn the methane.

I'd be willing to donate my old lighters that still spark - but I can't figure out how to re-fill them.

igrowone

Veteran
ok folks, it's getting freaky in the arctic
at the moment, we might be hitting the maximum ice, and it's not very maximum if you get my drift
new records are being set daily, natural cycle?
that will never be disproved, but plausible? most in the profession say this is not natural and really not good
ice could grow some more, my guess it's not going to, the NSIDC will make that call later in the month

Attachments

• N_daily_extent.jpg
    N_daily_extent.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 16
  • N_iqr_timeseries.jpg
    N_iqr_timeseries.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 20

armedoldhippy

Veteran
nope, but i'm looking at pictures of California now. specifically, the ski resort areas with over 600 inches of snow this winter SO FAR. it is so deep in some mountainous areas that the probes that they measure snow pack with will not go all the way through the snow & hit dirt...i reckon the drought is OVER...:woohoo: now, to deal with the floods when it melts. hmmm...

igrowone

Veteran
the changes are coming fast and furious
more water vapor in the air is a trend
which could be 'good', depends how much and where
but 600 inches? damn that's wild

Dog Star

Veteran
Look at Fukushima and North American shores,also peel eyes on Pacific Ocean,

there is die offs on daily basis and already become chronic,radiation kills all kind of animals,
http://enenews.com/mysterious-cancer-killing-sea-lions-along-us-west-coast-bones-turning-mush-inside

There is data that Fukushima plume released 3000 billion of lethal doses of radiation,
so there is enough for everybody multiple time to develop cancer and die.
http://www.agreenroadjournal.com/2012/09/dr-paolo-scampa-reports-that-fukushima.html

Still most of folks look at ice caps... while hole North cap is bombed with radiation
that still goes out of cripled Fukushima Daiichi.

After explosions of reactors a plume was for 4-5 days hitted California,Alaska and for
12-14 days it hitted Europe,reactor #3 was have so strong explosion that nuclear urane
pellets was fly to Ibaraki prefecture 170 km out of Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

North cap is nuked hard,specialy Hawaii,California,Alaska,that hole shore of North America,
but continent and inland is also affected,

reading how professional diver was found only 4 animals on a 200 miles of California shore diving,thats impressive and things goes fast progressing downfall.

Read a bit EneNews and some other that bring news on Fukushima,they give info
that relates to events around biggest pollution that ever happend on Earth.

http://enenews.com/

http://www.fukushima.news/

https://nuclear-news.net/category/2-world/asia/japan-asia/fukushima-2016/

DocTim420

Did we had this statistic?

View Image

Does everyone see that "global cooling" thing?--you know, that "settled science" argument from the 1970s. Wonder how accurate the temp measurements were prior to 1800. And how did they get those measurements at locations that were yet to be settled by "modern man"?

igrowone

Veteran
Does everyone see that "global cooling" thing?--you know, that "settled science" argument from the 1970s. Wonder how accurate the temp measurements were prior to 1800. And how did they get those measurements at locations that were yet to be settled by "modern man"?

proxy measures are used where no humans were at the time
tree rings, pollen analysis, and so on

Latest posts

Latest posts