What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nosy neighbor kid being a Peeping Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJO420

Veteran
So the other day I'm sitting in the house , on my bed, just relaxing and smoking and I look up and see this face looking through the blinds. He is trying to hide but I caught him looking. I don't say anything and pretend I didn't notice. I wanted to see what he was gonna do. He just stared and stared. That's when I said " Who is there". I hear the pitter patter of feet outside and he is gone. This has happened at least 10 times this week.
The kid is about 6 maybe 7. And I think he might have some mental health issues. We think he is mildly retarded, er.. challenged.
I told him that I didn't want to see him looking in my window or even around my house, but he, being a kid put up a big fight. " I wanna play with your dog he says" Starts yelling and screaming and whining. I was ready to kill this kid. But I love kids and cooler head prevailed.
Then he starts knocking on our door starting at 7 am about 12-15 times a day, EVERY DAY, asking to play with our dog. At the same time I would look up randomly and there he was, in the window, just staring. I had had enough. We cut him off from playing with the dog, telling him "not today cause your in the window again", NO LUCK. He started knocking and yelling, demanding to see the dog. At this point I had really had it, this had to stop.
SO i went to talk to his dad. I told him in front of his parents that peeping in our windows and knocking on our door had to stop. So, he proceeds to throw a temper tantrum and yell and run away. His parents tell me sorry and that i should go because I upset them.
WTF? I upset them/him. What world do these people live in? They didn't even tell him in front of me not to do this anymore.
Worse part is, he is still doing it.
What do I do? I told him, I told his parents and nothing, it still happens. I look up randomly and there he is, looking through the cracks in the blinds. What can I do? I hate the cops and wanna solve this one myself, in a positive way. Any ideas on what to do next? What would you guys n gals do?

theres no solving this with the kid. you need to speak to his parents without the child being there. this kid knows that if he flips out while you are talking to his parents, they are gonna side with him.

tell the parents that you are thinking of getting law enforcement involved. (even if it is a bluff)

there arent many positive outcomes to this situations, but i can rattle off some not so positive ones. this is either gonna end with you giving the kid a well deserved smack, or him getting bit by the dog. (not saying your dog is malicious in any way, but dogs have bit kids when the kids got too rough before)

if the kid has developmental problems, there isnt much you can do about that fact. if this sort of behavior isnt corrected, it could spell real trouble for the kid down the road.

i cant stress needing to go to his parents enough. when you do, make them see it from your point of view. tell them things like, "this time i had my clothes on, next time i may not be so lucky!" or "what would you do if you rolled off your wife and saw a pudgy kid face staring through your blinds". if they try to give you the "leave, cause you're upsetting the kid" routine again, then you are out of options. you cant very well harm the kid, the parents dont seem like they're much help...you are truly stuck betwen a rock and a hard place.

my best advice is to give it one more go with the kids parents and remind them of your willingness to get the law involved. (whether you're bluffing about it or not) its an invasion of your personal privacy. ask them how long it would take them to call the cops.

EDIT:
i hate dealing with cops myself, so i know where you're coming from. after re-reading your story, it seems like you have very few choices if another talk fails.

R

rick shaw

IMO you have done everything you can do,go down to the police station and file a report. That punk kid is about five or more years from committing his first burglary.

Cannasylum

So I take it you dont have a fence... I would Put a fake snake on a string and wait for him to be at your window and tug on the string a little, maybe put a rattle on it.. or just put real snakes by your window, either way it should be fun.

statusquo

this is either gonna end with you giving the kid a well deserved smack, or him getting bit by the dog. (not saying your dog is malicious in any way, but dogs have bit kids when the kids got too rough before)

Lol hitting someone else's child, let alone a retarded one, will for sure get your ass sued or jailed. I would talk to his parents one more time. If that doesn't work use something harmless to deter him. Spray him with the hose or some shit.

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Call DSS and say his parents are not doing their parental duty and that they are allowing/encouraging him to trespass and endanger himself.

The parents will hate you so go to them first if you can. Be dispassionate and argue your case after thinking about what you will say.

I don't think the cops can do much with a 7 year old but maybe his folks... in any case DSS would be my first action aside from talking to the parents once more.

C

Cmobile69

I will tell you what to do, get some pepper spray hit the lower part of the window with it. Right before he comes looking, put his little azz out for the count he will touch his face and I think it's harmless?haha

G

Ganja D

DO NOT CALL THE COPS!
Wtf is the matter with the people who suggested that. Just speak with his parents and explain yourself and the situation in a confident and respectful way. Be friendly and polite but firm and blunt. Communicating properly with people,even difficult or semi retarded parents will go a long way.
Good luck.

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
Damn I feel for u jojo ...this has got me thinking ..if i have a problem with a kid i tell parents but when yhe parents are unresponsive ...its hard to do.something about it ...I think u.need to go back over and talk to them again ..but don't answer there questions or be friendly ..tell them u have a right to ur privacy and there son is invading that ..explian how ur scared to get dressed cause u never kno when he's watching ..i would ruffle feathers ..if that fails idk what's left ..

P.s..where I'm.from. I would jus find another 7 yr old to be his problem ..sounds like he needs a friend ...tell his parents to buy him.a dog or something !

Yeah, I don't think the cops are the right solution. If you suspect he is mentally challenged, I would have a good talk with the parents, like maybe getting him a dog. If you can't resolve it that way, then I would take measures to beef up privacy. You can start by covering up the window more. If he can't see anything through the window at all, he will lose interest.

DO NOT CALL THE COPS!
Wtf is the matter with the people who suggested that. Just speak with his parents and explain yourself and the situation in a confident and respectful way. Be friendly and polite but firm and blunt. Communicating properly with people,even difficult or semi retarded parents will go a long way.
Good luck.

it sounds like the OP tried that already and got stonewalled.

from the info that we were given it sounds like the parents arent willing to deal with the problem. what do you do when that happens?? its not like you can do something directly to the child. that will bring more problems.

you gotta ask yourself, "when is enough enough??"

whodair

Veteran
i quit peeping at age 39

i quit peeping at age 39

the ex had a hot date, and i was feelin curious... but my former pug flushed me outta the shrubs and i hauled ass for real !!

picture.php

G

greenmatter

you have to at least try to talk to the parents again. the cop BLUFF might actually work for you. i would never want to call the cops but it would probably be better than explaining to one why you pepper sprayed a kid.

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
I can't believe the people saying NOT to call the cops! Really?! He's already tried to speak to them and they were unresponsive and dismissed him. That's WTF you pay cops for. Not calling and nipping this in the bud could turn into a HUGE hassle down the road. And you probably don't want to do the pepper spray thing, either. Get pictures/video of the kid doing it then let the professionals handle it.

i can see things from both sides of the "call the cops" argument.

say you have some lights running, do you want the cops nosing around while taking your statement? HELL NO!

do you as the resident (and im guessing property owner) want the kid snooping around your property where you would be liable if he were to get hurt? HELL NO!

in a situation like this you are truly stuck.

talk to the parents again. stress the fact that this type of behavior will not be tolerated by you or your family. inform them of your willingness to get the law involved. if those two facts get dismissed by the parents. do what you gotta do.

what surprises me in this thread is people suggesting that the kid get a dog. WTF? did your parents take you to Disney for failing the 7th grade too? why would you reinforce negative behavior with a reward? sure, it might keep the kid out of the OP's hair....but its gonna teach him that as long as mommy and daddy are around, i can do whatever i want AND i get a dog! what sense does that make?

G

greenmatter

like the OP said the kid was standing there screaming when he was trying to talk to the parents. take that factor away and it might be a whole new game.. if your neighbor had an issue with you would you want them to TRY to talk to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.